U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 06:50 PM

7,518 posts, read 13,211,677 times

Advertisements

Often when I post online, I am posting complaints, so I thought it was only fair that I posted something good!

I am moving to a new house on which I close next week (eeeek!). I needed to buy 2 (identical) sofas to go in the new living room, and kept going back to the same one from Home Decorators. These were (to me) expensive -- a bit over $1,000 each -- but I really liked them and thought they would go well with some pieces that I already own. Well, they went on clearance at what I thought was a great price -- but shipping was $150 extra or $300 for two!! Needless to say I hemmed and hawed some more, but finally took the plunge and ordered.

ONE WEEK LATER, which was last Friday, when the sofas were still in transit and hadn't even made it to the local shipping company that will deliver them, I checked the web site again and found that the sofas were now on sale WITH FREE SHIPPING. Needless to say I was very bummed about paying $300 for shipping a week before. I emailed right away on Friday. No answer. On Saturday I checked the web site again and saw that "free shipping" had suddenly disappeared from the listing of the sofas, AND the web site had added a caveat "does not apply to previous orders." I was pretty upset but was still waiting for an answer to my email.

Yesterday, the last day of the sale that included free shipping, on a whim I checked the web site again just before I went to bed. Lo and behold, the "free shipping" was now BACK on the sofa's listing (I still have no idea why it was on/off/on). I was about to email again (after printing the page that showed free shipping, before it could disappear again!) when the chat window popped up (as it often does if you browse on the site for more than a few minutes). I explained my situation to the chat rep, and after she checked my order, she said, "We'll credit the shipping charge since they now have free shipping." Honestly, I was flabbergasted! I expected to have to ask for a supervisor or manager. Instead, I now have a $300 credit just before I move!

I wish all companies did this! I guess the moral is, NEVER THINK IT'S TOO MUCH TROUBLE TO ASK!!

Sorry for the length of this post, I am just a happy camper! And needless to say, I will be back to the web site soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 03:51 PM

21,654 posts, read 24,879,568 times
With the amount of profit built into furniture, I'm amazed they would've charged shipping in the first place. I can't remember a time when I had to pay a delivery charge on large items. I ordered a wooden daybed from Target a few months ago and there was no shipping charge. It was sort of odd watching UPS deliver a daybed. Business is business in this economy.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:11 PM

You are right, I have seen a LOT of "free shipping" offers when it is GROUND shipping, like through UPS (as your daybed was). But these are 2 sofas -- they are shipped via freight companies and are therefore very expensive. That's why I was so delighted to get the $300 credit!!

Old 04-25-2012, 06:21 PM

21,654 posts, read 24,879,568 times
Quote:
I have seen a LOT of "free shipping" offers when it is GROUND shipping, like through UPS
This wasn't delivered by the normal UPS trucks. It was a freight box truck that said UPS on the side and had two delivery people. But with sofas it will be different because they are bulkier than a daybed and a couple of mattresses.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:41 PM

12,478 posts, read 15,293,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
You are right, I have seen a LOT of "free shipping" offers when it is GROUND shipping, like through UPS (as your daybed was). But these are 2 sofas -- they are shipped via freight companies and are therefore very expensive. That's why I was so delighted to get the $300 credit!!

have you rec. the Free Shipping credit yet?

Old 04-26-2012, 04:52 PM

Yep, they sent me both the transcript of the chat (where their rep told me I'd get the credit) AND a copy of my original invoice with a new line that said "-$300" with my Visa number, then the new total with the shipping charge removed.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:32 PM

15,346 posts, read 20,364,242 times
I've bought a lot from Home Decorators and have always found their Customer Service to be excellent -- almost as good as Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products