U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Ikea is awesome. No complaints. 6 9.84%
Ikea is decently good. There is more good than bad about it. 20 32.79%
Mixed opinions for Ikea. An equal amount of good and bad amount it. 21 34.43%
Ikea kind of sucks. Most of it is bad with very little redeeming features. 12 19.67%
Ikea is horrible. Everything is bad about it. 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 11:23 PM

6,107 posts, read 11,131,926 times

Advertisements

Ikea is an international home products company that designs and sells ready to assemble furniture such as beds, desks, appliances, and home accessories etc.

I used to have more positive opinions for Ikea but in the past few months my opinions became noticeably more negative for that store company and I developed mixed opinions for Ikea.

I enjoy that Ikea has so many types of products being sold in that single place. A decently good amount of it seems easily accessible, cheap/affordable.

However, a significantly high percentage of what Ikea sells might be mediocre/bland.

I assume places such as coffee shops/espresso bars, restaurants, nightlife places etc. never go to Ikea for help for their ambiance, design, tables, and seats. They most likely go elsewhere for getting all of their stuff and to bring a high quality design in those places.

Also, people’s homes might start looking a bit too similar to each other and a bit bland if too many of those homes rely on Ikea too much for products.

For now on, I prefer to support more local independent home products stores and only get a few things to zero things from Ikea.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 05-15-2012 at 12:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 08:55 AM

870 posts, read 1,282,050 times
If I can buy something locally for a reasonable price, I will certainly do that. But I live in an apartment and I have a small child. I need economical furniture that is replaceable if necessary. And Ikea fills that need.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:32 PM

32,905 posts, read 61,318,162 times
Good value for the price. I buy a lot of household goods etc. at Ikea because I like Scandinavian style.

And I can never get out of there without a jar or two of lingonberry sauce.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:43 PM

1,903 posts, read 4,989,887 times
Businesses use Ikea furniture and lighting all the time. I recognize it here and there. My wife used a LOT of it to furnish her store.

The lingonberry sauce seemed a bit off last time I got a jar...

Old 05-17-2012, 11:33 AM

43,858 posts, read 45,239,079 times
I love IKEA....but agree that it isn't for everyone.
In the past few years, they really have come out with some newer styles that are less hard and edgy looking. I can spend a whole day in their store just looking at all the products which you never see in the catalog.

Online 2012 Catalog link:
IKEA | Catalog

If someone is on a budget with a big trunk and a few weird tools from Sweeden....they can do amazing things.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:49 AM

40,305 posts, read 58,406,407 times
Don't forget about IKEA hacks!! Since IKEA sell everything in pieces - you can easily assemble different stuff using their components.
IKEA Hackers
IKEA Hacks
DIY Projects: 9 Easy(ish) IKEA Hacks
5 Creative IKEA Hacks for the Garden : TreeHugger
IKEA Lovin': The Best Of IKEA Tech Hacking & DIY | Apartment Therapy
The Painted Hive: IKEA Hack...Card File Drawers
50 Killer Ikea Hacks To Transform Your Home Office | Young Upstarts
La Dolce Vita: Ikea Hacks
Awesome IKEA Hacks
Inspiration for the Patio and Garden | Family Style

... and many, many more...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:42 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,485,691 times
I have a fair number of IKEA items in my place, and I've been really happy with them.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:06 PM

3,269 posts, read 4,919,802 times
from what i remember about the ikea pieces i had, i liked them. i had a coffee table (hemlinge) and a queen bed (lilehamer). coffee tables are nothing to worry about -- but the bed, being a major piece, was "taking a risk" for sure. fortunately it all turned out to my satisfaction - but only after i modified it. see, the lilehamer doesn't use a boxspring -- wood slats and a steel chassis with a steel center spine support the mattress. the bed would go clicketty-clack clicketty-clack until i wisely hot-glued the slats to the chassis and spine. then it was perfect. it lasted a long time and was still good when i donated it.

so i'm glad to say this home decor enthusiast has no ikea horror story to tell. for that reason, i voted for more good than bad but some of their stuff looks too ....uh, "risky."

Old 05-19-2012, 12:31 AM

5,086 posts, read 7,975,403 times
IKEA is fun to "window" shop for ideas, but I would never buy any of their bigger (than kitchenware) merchandise, because it's cheaply made. There was a time in my life in which this would have been fine, like when I was in college, but now I want quality items that are long lasting (with limited wear & tear).

I'm currently shopping for bookcases, and have always loved the idea of the Billy bookcases, but in person, they look cheap, and the edges are chipped. I'm sure the bookcases in the store have a high concentration of traffic and touching than in the typical home....still....I have bought mid-market priced furniture were the edges chipped within a year, so I can only imagine how quickly the Billy bookcases would be chipped. If only the Billy bookcases were made of real wood vs partical board covered by veneer...oh well, one can dream.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:11 AM

2,187 posts, read 3,732,692 times
Personally, their stuff is too modern looking and cold for my own personal taste. I also think the quality of their furniture is substandard and a total waste of money. I have plenty of kitchen gadgets and am not in the market to buy more foreign "crap".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products