Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2012, 10:17 PM

242 posts, read 1,001,881 times

Advertisements

What material good do you place the most value on? Personally, for me it's shoes. Have a cousin who owns thousands of dollars on gold jewelry, rings, watches & bracelets.

I could care less when it comes to jewelry, now a nice pair of casual leather shoes, I'll spend $200 or more on. To me it seems you represent yourself better by having a really great pair of shoes on your feet, compare it to driving a luxury car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 09:53 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,614,734 times
nothing really....

Old 06-03-2012, 04:54 PM

491 posts, read 1,170,106 times
I wasn't as surprised by your answer -- shoes -- as at the explanation. Guess I define "value" differently -- for shoes, the image that a designer brand pair might send is not as important to me, but comfort is. (With discount shoe places like DSW all around now, $200 says designer to me.) But I realize that having a certain aspiring image is important to many people and their careers.

Maybe "To you, what material item is worth spending more money on?" is part of what you're asking?
In that case, I would say a mattress. A car would be the alternate choice, but it's not because it's sending a certain message about luxury or any of that.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:43 PM

242 posts, read 1,001,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by persnicketygal View Post
I wasn't as surprised by your answer -- shoes -- as at the explanation. Guess I define "value" differently -- for shoes, the image that a designer brand pair might send is not as important to me, but comfort is. (With discount shoe places like DSW all around now, $200 says designer to me.) But I realize that having a certain aspiring image is important to many people and their careers.

Maybe "To you, what material item is worth spending more money on?" is part of what you're asking?
In that case, I would say a mattress. A car would be the alternate choice, but it's not because it's sending a certain message about luxury or any of that.
Also would place great value on a mattress, nothing like sleeping on memory foam mattress. Not getting a good night rest can affect your whole entire day. So I could see myself spending a grand or more on a mattress, because it could really play a part in your physical health over period of time.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:39 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
I agree about a good mattress.

But, for me, the greatest "material good" is my Roseville Art Pottery collection. I've never been attracted to collecting, but I saw a Roseville flower pot about 6-7 years ago and was enchanted by what a relaxing feeling it gave me. So I started collecting them. Last year I realized I had too many (@100) and started giving them away to family and friends. I currently have @ 40-50 of the flower pots and that's still too many for my small home.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:49 PM

23,846 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificWest View Post
What material good do you place the most value on? Personally, for me it's shoes. Have a cousin who owns thousands of dollars on gold jewelry, rings, watches & bracelets.

I could care less when it comes to jewelry, now a nice pair of casual leather shoes, I'll spend $200 or more on. To me it seems you represent yourself better by having a really great pair of shoes on your feet, compare it to driving a luxury car.
Umm... well, I like a good pair of shoes. I loathe spending ANY money, no matter how little, on a pair of shoes only to have them fall apart or become terribly uncomfortable.

The shoes I wear on most days is a pair of Vasque hiking/trail shoes that I bought in 2003. The soles are almost worn through, but that's the only major problem with them - the stitching has held up all this time, and they even have the original shoelaces. They're also as comfortable as the day I bought them. They are GREAT shoes.

I recently bought a comparable pair of Merrell shoes, which will replace the decade old Vasques. I wear the Merrells when dressing casual, but don't want to be wearing shoes that are obviously on their last leg. They're very comfortable, and they have a similar reputation as Vasque, but only time will tell if I'm going to be as happy with them.

As far as answering the actual question... Dunno. Don't really "get" it, I guess. I'm awfully fond of the freedom, independence and utility that a car represents, which is why I have four of them , so I guess I place a lot of value there. Other than that... dunno.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:32 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
I value my home and car....both make my life more comfortable and that makes me happy! Oh...and my food saver...love that thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products