U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-11-2012, 06:58 PM

7,844 posts, read 11,773,679 times
My doors are locked when I go out, but I don't keep them locked when I'm home, I don't find it necessary to lock myself in.

You must not watch "The Investigation Discovery Channel"........

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 10:08 PM

2,779 posts, read 2,975,946 times
Thanks guys.

I've ordered that Add-a-Lock, which involes no tools/drilling. It will help. But, I do like that Door Devil. That Door Guard is like the Buddy Bar Door Jammer I also posted. If I feel that I need more security, I'll get that too if I have to & it involes no tools/drilling either.

For those who still don't lock your doors, even when you're at home, we're in dangerous times guys. I'd NEVER do that. Just because nothing's ever happened, doesn't mean nothing will.

I don't care how hot it is, I don't even sleep at night with my bedroom window cracked open. That's what air conditioning is for & I also have 2 ceiling fans in my apt, plus 2 of my own fans.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:13 PM

2,905 posts, read 4,337,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You can have the best lock in the world, but if your door is a wood veneer box filled with gypsum, it will break into pieces around the lock. To see what's inside your door, remove one of the locks and look into the hole.
Apartment and Condo Door Lock and Security Basics ( also read the comments)
You can also install a latch guard and rebar door jamb.
Sorry, I don't think there is anything you can install without tools/drilling. You might just call a handyman to do it for you.
"The door best lock" works only when you are inside your apartment. I don't know how you could lock it from outside...
This is absolutely true. Hopefully your doors are made of quality material.

I have one of those bars that you put under the door knob, though I rarely use it now. I think it was a piece of mind issue for me personally, and once I got to a certain comfort level I stopped using it.

I couldn't open your other link to see what the other thing is.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:36 PM

20,161 posts, read 20,049,203 times
^^^If that's apartment then the door most likely is made from metal.
Yes, doors are unbelievable crappy nowadays. Except you spend some serious $$$$

Old 06-13-2012, 09:04 AM

8,384 posts, read 11,018,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
My doors are locked when I go out, but I don't keep them locked when I'm home, I don't find it necessary to lock myself in.

You must not watch "The Investigation Discovery Channel"........
My doors are locked when I go to bed. I have basic cable on my TV, and it doesn't include the Discovery Channel. I don't watch much TV, I prefer to go out.

If I'm going to the dumpster, I don't lock my doors. If I'm going to my car for some reason, (other than leaving), I don't lock my doors. Neither do my neighbors. My complex is so small that someone would be seen entering, and the only problem where I live is the manager. He did enter someone's unit without permission, and there were witnesses. The manager has a "young female" problem.

I know for a fact that where I live, the locks aren't changed between tenants, so I just did it myself, and several of my neighbors did too. I have a new neighbor next door to me, and that's one of the first things that he did after moving in.

And I'll repeat, I'm not paranoid.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:57 PM

2,779 posts, read 2,975,946 times
moved, you can leave all the windows & doors unlocked & open 24/7 for all I care. Heck, leave them all open when you go on vacation for a month w/ a welcome sign telling everyone to come on in. It's your perogative!

Old 06-13-2012, 04:26 PM

4,434 posts, read 4,910,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
moved, you can leave all the windows & doors unlocked & open 24/7 for all I care. Heck, leave them all open when you go on vacation for a month w/ a welcome sign telling everyone to come on in. It's your perogative!

I agree. Paranoid is one thing, stupid is another.

I don't lock my door when taking out the trash or running to my car either, but if I am home ( like now) my door is locked. It's just a smart thing to do.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I've been working since I was 16, and in my own place since I was 19, anbd I'm quite a bit older than you.

If I locked my door every time I stepped foot outside, I would get nothing done. I don't live in an apartment, I live in a cottage. My next door neighbors are 4 feet away from me.

I guess you've led a sheltered life. I didn't - I grew up in a big city, and live in one. If you're that paranoid, you should still be living with your parents. I sure hope you never get married, because you'd want to be glued to your husband 24 hours a day.

Last edited by moved; 06-13-2012 at 07:08 PM..

Old 06-16-2012, 08:28 PM

2,654 posts, read 3,640,789 times
Any door is only as strong as the door jamb. With todays construction the door may hold but he entire jamb will give way.

Consider a security company that installs sensors and monitors the system. It won't stop a break-in but with the decals pasted to you door thieves will look for an easier target. If you do have a break-in at least the police will be called.

For you dog, why not consider a doggie day care?

Old 06-17-2012, 01:01 AM

That's nice of your parents to sacrifice so that you could go to private schools, etc. Not everyone that lives in a bad neighborhood is bad.

What gives you the idea that I'm not alert? I like fresh air, and I leave my windows open. When I'm inside my cottage, which is very tiny (400sqft), my doors are unlocked. When I work on my plants, take out trash, or go to my car for some reason I don't lock the door. When I leave, the doors are locked, and when I go out at night, I turn on my porch light. Yes, I go out at night, I don't stay in. My job requires me to work at night sometimes, and I do go out and do other things. Oh, and I have to add, I ride my bike at night sometimes, too.

So if you're that paranoid, lock yourself in, and I'll be out riding my bike, walking along the bay, and going out in general. It doesn't matter how many security measures you have in place - if someone wants to get in, they will.

I was raised to be independent, and if I had a dog, I'd walk it outside, not have it use a litter pan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products