U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 09:54 PM

1,343 posts, read 4,713,784 times

Advertisements

Just got done tossing and packing for charity shops the useless crap I have gotten for gifts in the past which didn't sell at my yard sale. I don't mean to sound ungrateful and I used to think if someone gave me a gift I didn't like or couldn't use, I had to keep it and display it beacuse it was rude not to. And it's becoming increasingly difficult to smile and lie through my teeth saying "Oh, just what I wanted! A pewter pear!" (And that was one of the better ones! Maybe a thread with the worst gifts you've ever received....)

Not anymore. This year's unneeded gifts got returned, re-gifted or off to Goodwill. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but approaching 60, I have all the "stuff" I need.

For the rest of you non-pack-rats like me, rather than hoard a bunch of stuff you don't want or need, tell your friends and family you'd really enjoy some nice wine, coffee, tea, candy, cheese, etc., most of which can be ordered online & shipped. I have sent the fresh fruit arrangement and people LOVED it!

Anybody in agreement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 08:13 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,451,519 times
I am 100% in agreement.

As I am approaching 60, I know that I do not want or need anymore knick-knacks and such in the house.
Fortunately, my friends and family know that!

Old 06-04-2012, 06:29 PM

15,252 posts, read 20,198,407 times
Me too.

But, a few years back, I started asking anyone who might give me a gift to spend the $$$ on themselves instead and then send me an email/note letting me know what they did and how much they enjoyed it.

It took a while for everyone to get on board and agree to do this. But now I get so much enjoyment out of reading how they enjoyed their massages or taking their kids to the movies, etc. And I let them know how happy it makes me to hear what they do with the $$$.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:46 PM

4,919 posts, read 20,173,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Me too.

But, a few years back, I started asking anyone who might give me a gift to spend the $$$ on themselves instead and then send me an email/note letting me know what they did and how much they enjoyed it.

It took a while for everyone to get on board and agree to do this. But now I get so much enjoyment out of reading how they enjoyed their massages or taking their kids to the movies, etc. And I let them know how happy it makes me to hear what they do with the $$$.
You know, now being in the "I don't need anything" group, I attempted to ask people that if they were goingt o get me anything, get a single item froma list of stores I selected and they were $99cents Store. Dollar Store, Dollar Tree, but people think its the amount thats important, so they buy 20 things or give a $50 gift card, Geezz thats the whole tool section! I am going to try your idea. THANKS!!!!!

Old 06-04-2012, 11:11 PM

493 posts, read 1,024,222 times
SSG -- good idea.

Gift cards, too -- if you know someone who's addicted to Starbucks or really loves (for example) Red Lobster, or who enjoys going to movies, there are gift cards for all sorts of stuff. Give me a card good for a few movies or even for a few ice-cream cones at Baskin-Robbins and I'd be a very happy camper!

Many times you can pick these up at the grocery store or drugstore -- not a lot of driving around looking for that "certain" gift for them (when you end up driving to 4 stores for the perfect sweater, think how much gas and time that eats up). Another one of the terms for these types of perishable gifts -- whether they are food-oriented or "experiences" -- is eco-friendly gifts).

Donations made in the gift recipient's honor are good -- how about donating to the local food bank?

Something I wish I'd get sometimes: A gift certificate for a couple hours of a professional handyman's time! Or a few hours of the gift-giver's time -- maybe it's to help get my garden into shape (from someone who has those skills).

I know that some people think gift cards and gift certificates are impersonal and don't show a lot of creative thought. But I think they're fantastic -- odds are, they've chosen a card they know you have a very good chance of using, if they know you even slightly.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:20 PM

21,550 posts, read 24,690,260 times
Quote:
I have sent the fresh fruit arrangement and people LOVED it!
They may say they Love it, but get enough of them it turns into Hate. I've learned to hate them. First, they don't fit in the frig unless you move the shelves. So you have to take it apart and place it into baggies (all the while being stabbed by the sticks) and then you need to find room in the frig to place all these baggies. I'm now so happy to just get gift cards.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:04 AM

20,521 posts, read 26,718,757 times
I love usable gifts. I can be very happy if someone buys me soaps and shampoos

I do like to get things that I would also never buy for myself....like an Omaha Steak gift or a subscription to Woman's World magazine.

Grocery gift cards are great....and Lowe's for me

Old 06-06-2012, 10:53 PM

1,343 posts, read 4,713,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
They may say they Love it, but get enough of them it turns into Hate. I've learned to hate them. First, they don't fit in the frig unless you move the shelves. So you have to take it apart and place it into baggies (all the while being stabbed by the sticks) and then you need to find room in the frig to place all these baggies. I'm now so happy to just get gift cards.
Oh! Never thought anyone would get more than they could use. Made sure the delivery was Christmas Eve morning,so the kids could munch on fruit, knowing the parents had a lot to do.

I forgot magazine subscriptions! The most appreciated "Secret Santa" gift at our company holiday party last year was a subscription to Food Network Magazine.

Donations: Great idea, but I'm so reluctant these days. Too many taking advantage who really aren't in need.

Handy-Man idea is awesome, if you could get them to show up!!!

I think gift cards are practical, but so impersonal. The best part of the gift is the surprise and a gift card is kind of a let-down. If you know they like Starbucks, wrap up some bags. Send a box of Omaha steaks.

Everybody still wants presents or boxes to unwrap with maybe a tiny gift and a gift card.

Thanks!

Old 06-06-2012, 11:46 PM

21,550 posts, read 24,690,260 times
Quote:
Oh! Never thought anyone would get more than they could use. Made sure the delivery was Christmas Eve morning,so the kids could munch on fruit, knowing the parents had a lot to do.
Order them the Party version this coming eve and lets see their reaction especially with the melting chocolate. I have a note in "Edible Arrangements" computer system to generate a gift card if anymore get generated for my address. I also end up with a few cases of fruit from those lovely friends who are wintering in Florida who think its such a lovely gift to send up north. If they really want to make me happy, send me a few lobster tails.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:34 PM

8,266 posts, read 18,722,586 times
I have sent the fresh fruit arrangement and people LOVED it!

Frank & Marie Barrone HATED The Fruit of the Month Club gift that Raymond gave them.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products