Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 10:10 PM

23 posts, read 61,731 times

Advertisements

This is a question to all the homemakers/women in the area. I recently went to Macy's to buy a comforter set. I was so lost due to the number of options. I am now not sure what to get? I saw Comforters, Duvets, quilts, comforter sets. Can someone direct me or explain to me to explain what these mean, and when to use what?

Basically - I am looking for something for the Summer Season and the Winter Season. If i get a comforter set, when i change the sheets - they won't match. So am i supposed to buy multiple comforter sets? Ya i am super confused and lost. Please advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 04:27 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,574,917 times
Bedspread = reaches the floor and covers the pillows as well. Usually not as puffy as a comforter.
Comforter = should reach the bottom of the boxspring, doesn't cover the pillows, usually needs a bedskirt, usually puffy.
Matelasse = same dimensions as a comforter, a heavy quilted piece that has the warmth of a comforter but not the puffiness.
Duvet = same dimensions as a comforter but an empty envelope in which to put a blanket or plain comforter. This will be your best bet if you want to keep the same decor year-round; you can switch out from a lightweight summer blanket to something heavier for the winter.

As for the sheets not matching, you can have the one set that matches the bed topper and get plain white or cream for your other sheet sets so it isn't a big deal.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:21 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,709,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnat View Post
This is a question to all the homemakers/women in the area. I recently went to Macy's to buy a comforter set. I was so lost due to the number of options. I am now not sure what to get? I saw Comforters, Duvets, quilts, comforter sets. Can someone direct me or explain to me to explain what these mean, and when to use what?

Basically - I am looking for something for the Summer Season and the Winter Season. If i get a comforter set, when i change the sheets - they won't match. So am i supposed to buy multiple comforter sets? Ya i am super confused and lost. Please advice.
Other cheap option for the duvet (since they tend to be cheaper) is to cover a regular comforter. You can find really ugly comforters on sale, just get something in the weight you like and cover with a nice duvet. You don't need to buy the stuffers they sell with duvets, which can be expensive. There are clips you get to hold whatever you stuff it with in place. I personnaly don't like duvet's anymore, after using them for years in Europe, as I like a neat bed, which is hard to get with duvets.

I've never bought sheets that exactly match any covers. Keep the sheet color neutral and you won't have a problem matching anything.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:35 AM

What is a QUILT? How do i know, if a comforter is for summer or winter?

Old 06-11-2012, 06:56 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,612,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnat View Post
What is a QUILT? How do i know, if a comforter is for summer or winter?

A quilt is usually long (to the floor) like a bedspread but it is made to look like it has patches of various fabrics sewn together.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:05 AM

so its more a decorative fabric.

How do i know, which comforter is best for summer? It does not say on the label? Should i get a light-weight feature comforter for summer and a medium to heavy weight for winter?

Also, whats the general life-time for a comforter, bedsheets, bed skirts? I would prefer to change them every 3-4 use. That is every 4th night.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:31 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,181,902 times
So is bedding the new "reckless driving" on here now? I don't see anything specific to NoVA. Perhaps you should post this question on whatever passes as the home decorating forum.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:47 AM

10 posts, read 14,075 times
Actually a Duvet is usually white or cream in color, can be filled with feathers or man-made materials and come in a variety of tog ratings (how well insulated it is).

Duvet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Duvet covers are what Duvets go inside of. They are usually buttoned on one end to help keep the duvet inside. You can get a great selection of these cotton Duvet cover sets with pillowcases at Ikea - reasonable prices too. I prefer these to comforter and quilt sets as the covers can be easily changed and washed, not to mention made from better materials than polyester. It is also not necessary to wash a Duvet on a regular basis because of this. Cotton is much better to sleep in too due to breathability, softness, durability etc. So your duvet, if covered and well cared for, will last a long time when used with these covers.

Comforters are usually printed and come in a bag with everything else you need. They're also usually polyester or some other material and can get hot very quickly. You also can't remove them from their printed covers.

In Virginia I personally use my Duvet in the late fall, winter and early spring months. The rest of the year I simply use thin sheets as it can be quite humid and warm here.

Get yourself something medium-to heavy for the winter and then something light for summer if you must. Ultimately how warm you need to be is a personal choice and depends on various factors such as heating in your home.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:26 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,961,603 times
I use the same comforter all year....if you get one that's a medium weight (and you have airconditioning!!), you can use the same thing year round. Add a blanket in the winter if it's not warm enough with just the comforter!

I think you're really overthinking this!

Old 06-11-2012, 05:47 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,646,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
So is bedding the new "reckless driving" on here now?

I was wondering the same thing! LOL

I'll never understand the trouble people go to over beds. Personally, if my rack is more comfortable than the floor...I'm happy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products