Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 07:22 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,149,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Any restaurant that doesn't have the appropriate amount of change stocked in the registers has poor management.
there arent typically tons of registers at restaurants (the bar, a manager in the back, and maybe the front door?) and and the people at them are going to be busy, which was my point. the pos system doesnt have a register with change. i only worked in a restaurant for 2 months of my life but i remember whenever i had to get change (rare) or something from someone i had to wait for them to finish what they were doing. its not like extra ketchup or whatever that you can just get yourself in the kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 07:42 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,349,683 times
I wouldn't quibble over less than $1. But once we had a $42 bill, gave the waiter 3 $20 bills, that was the last we saw of him, he just disappeared! Gave himself an $18 tip

But geez, I'm pretty tight, but I wouldn't lower myself to quibbling over some coins! were you with other people? I would think it would make the group uncomfortable. In these tight times, you don't know thw struggles others are going through, those few pennies might mean the difference in survival or not. What if that was your mother, or daughter, working as a wait person and gets called out over a few coins? sheez.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:51 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,349,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think what really makes me mad is when a server will give you change in higher denominations hoping you will leave at least a $5 tip. A meal for one or even 2 people (me and a child) rarely deserves a $5 tip but I will get a $5 bill in my change.

Just a bit OT here, but once we left a $20 tip for a server at a buffet place. My little girl threw up all over the booth, the server was stuck cleaning it up! It wasn't our fault any more than hers, but, we felt like it would help smooth things over. We saw other people leave her generous tips, too, that had to be moved to another area. Sometimes its just the right thing to do!

Old 07-29-2012, 07:57 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,137,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
there arent typically tons of registers at restaurants (the bar, a manager in the back, and maybe the front door?) and and the people at them are going to be busy, which was my point. the pos system doesnt have a register with change. i only worked in a restaurant for 2 months of my life but i remember whenever i had to get change (rare) or something from someone i had to wait for them to finish what they were doing. its not like extra ketchup or whatever that you can just get yourself in the kitchen.
Sounds like poor fiscal management. Every restaurant I've worked in if you handled transactions, you had access to the registers. Registers would start with anywhere from $150-$300 in it at business open. On top of this waitstaff would usually keep a few bucks in their apron from the previous shift for those times the register was occupied by someone else. I simply cannot believe that a restaurant in this area wouldn't give their waitstaff access to change.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:07 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,149,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Sounds like poor fiscal management. Every restaurant I've worked in if you handled transactions, you had access to the registers. Registers would start with anywhere from $150-$300 in it at business open. On top of this waitstaff would usually keep a few bucks in their apron from the previous shift for those times the register was occupied by someone else. I simply cannot believe that a restaurant in this area wouldn't give their waitstaff access to change.
when was the last time you worked in a restaurant, though? from the few posts of yours i remember i believe you've been working in a professional position for a while now. there is no doubt in my mind that poor management is rampant in the restaurant business, but i'm under the impression that the POS system + no registers is fairly common practice.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,826,386 times
Cash management best practices says less access to registers is better.
Sitting in a bar with someone who is trained to spot skimming can be very enlightening. It is no wonder so many food/drink establishments fail.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:36 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,239,666 times
I've never had a server keep the change. Never heard of such a thing until now. I agree it should not be tolerated and I'm sure the manager would not condone such action. Somebody who is willing to skim from the customers is just as likely to skim from the house.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:41 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,191,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I've never had a server keep the change. Never heard of such a thing until now. I agree it should not be tolerated and I'm sure the manager would not condone such action. Somebody who is willing to skim from the customers is just as likely to skim from the house.
Never happened to me either and we eat out quite a bit!

Vicki

Old 07-29-2012, 08:44 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,068,100 times
Never happened to me either and I've worked in a lot of restaurants!

Old 07-29-2012, 08:47 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,810,083 times
This really isn't a local discussion/issue, so I'm moving the thread to a more appropriate forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products