U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 07:42 PM

10,468 posts, read 10,234,407 times

Advertisements

I've recently decided to do away with CFL bulbs that are in an area which may be close to my head for a prolonged period of time, due to the immense amount of electromagnetic radiation the typical CFL emits. So then, I recently purchased a three-pack of LED bulbs and installed them to find that, when the light switch is off, the bulbs emit just a little light, due to a low level of current at the socket. I was initially annoyed at this -- if the switch is off I typically like a light to be off, but now that I've had some time to consider, I guess I don't mind this "moon bean" mode the lights go into when the switch is off.

Has anybody else been surprised at this, but after some reconsideration, decided it's not really too big of a problem? It's actually something of an interesting look of artificial moonlight, and I suppose there's not really a detrimental affect since the lights consume barely anything in moon beam mode.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 08:01 PM

8,267 posts, read 18,730,071 times
I don't like them. They look horrible in hanging lights or sconces .... so silly with the way that they're shaped. I know it is very un-PC , but I never use them.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-25-2012, 12:04 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,994,803 times
I can't stand CFL bulbs. I don't mind LED bulbs.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:08 AM

192 posts, read 379,255 times
CFL's all over the house here!

T.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:00 AM

D
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoD View Post
CFL's all over the house here!

T.
What do you like about CFLs over LEDs? I like that LEDs use less power, last longer, don't flicker/buzz as they get older, and most importantly do not contain mercury like CFLs.

The only thing I can see going for CFLs is the slight price difference... but at the cost of being harmful to the environment.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
What do you like about CFLs over LEDs? I like that LEDs use less power, last longer, don't flicker/buzz as they get older, and most importantly do not contain mercury like CFLs.

The only thing I can see going for CFLs is the slight price difference... but at the cost of being harmful to the environment.

Well, I'm not a green freak, and I never noticed the buzz or flicker in mine. As far as mercury goes, I don't plan to eat any either.

T.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoD View Post
Well, I'm not a green freak, and I never noticed the buzz or flicker in mine. As far as mercury goes, I don't plan to eat any either.

T.
There's more impact than the possibility eating lightbulbs.... such as to wildlife.

I'm not a green freak either... but I try to do the simplest things. Picking up a different bulb that has such a huge impact is easy.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's more impact than the possibility eating lightbulbs.... such as to wildlife.

I'm not a green freak either... but I try to do the simplest things. Picking up a different bulb that has such a huge impact is easy.

Maybe, but I don't read that much into it.

T.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:42 PM

7,757 posts, read 14,602,936 times
We've been replacing all the high hats with LED dimmables. The sconces still have incandescent bulbs, as do the less used outdoor lights. Our lamp posts which are used nightly have CFLs, but the glass in the lighting unit is frosted, so I find it softens the light a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products