Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 08:50 PM

7,905 posts, read 12,610,855 times

Advertisements

What are these idiots thinking? I placed an order but decided to cancel a few hours later due to it not being what I needed. I spent a half hour trying to find a way to cancel it online and the only option they offered was a "return". I had to call up customer service and go through a ten minute phone call to get it cancelled. Will I EVER shop at Sears.com again? No. This is internet marketing 101 type of stuff and they haven't figured it out yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 09:05 PM

61,174 posts, read 86,024,495 times
They stated it clearly on their website and it's always recommended to read about orders, shipping, cancellation, exchange and return policy BEFORE placing an online order.

ORDER CANCELLATIONS
Once an order is placed it can't be cancelled or altered. Most items may be returned within 90 days of the order date with a Return Authorization.

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Old 08-31-2012, 10:21 PM

7,905 posts, read 12,610,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
They stated it clearly on their website and it's always recommended to read about orders, shipping, cancellation, exchange and return policy BEFORE placing an online order.

ORDER CANCELLATIONS
Once an order is placed it can't be cancelled or altered. Most items may be returned within 90 days of the order date with a Return Authorization.

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more
That doesn't seem like a poor business practice for an online retailer? I admit, I assumed they were like every other online store where you can cancel prior to shipment, I din't even consider any retailer would have a policy that you couldn't cancel an order.

I am so used to the policies of Amazon that I never even thought any retailer would not allow customers to cancel an order before it shipped.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:49 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,000,067 times
Most retailers don't allow you to cancel an order online. They require you to call them. Why you wasted half an hour looking for this is beyond me. After 2 minutes of not finding it, most people would just choose the easier route of calling them up.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:51 PM

61,174 posts, read 86,024,495 times
Amazon has an exceptional customer service and order policies. Other retailers not. I came across some very difficult ones, where you not only have hard time to cancel order but also have to pay shipping and restocking costs even when you cancel your order just few hours after placing. Sears is not the only one who does that.
I agree, that in that case the best is to look online for a direct, phone contact and call immediately.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 14,101 times
They don't cancel even by phone. I replied to their email too. It didn't help also.
I called 5 minutes after I placed an order by phone, just after I checked the confirmation email.
The item number was not what I had asked for, so I tried to cancel. no luck. I called to credit card company then.

No wonder Sears is in bad shape

Old 01-12-2013, 09:48 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,594,489 times
Behind the scenes sears.com software is twenty plus years out of date. Most older companies don't have the ability to cancel orders because they won't or can't update the software to current versions due to incompatibilities in their older hardware. If Amazon were in the online ordering business as long as Sears (and had physical stores too), then Amazon would have similar issues. Amazons system is less than ten years old, but it still has limitations too. FWIW Sears should have been out of business by now.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:34 PM

802 posts, read 1,674,477 times
I work at kmart and you can cancel an online order that is being picked up at store as long as you do so before we pick the items and process it as complete on our end. You can also call the store and we will cancel it for you (as long as the items aren't picked and packed yet).

I'm not sure about online orders shipped directly to your house, so if this is your case, disregard what I posted above

Old 01-13-2013, 04:57 PM

23,478 posts, read 23,816,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I assumed they were like every other online store...

I am so used to the policies of Amazon
And here we get to the crux of the matter.

In my experience, MOST online stores don't have a way to cancel an order online once it's been confirmed. The way Amazon works is the exception, not the rule.

That said, I disregard any search results that come from Sears.com. The times I've been looking for something and have landed on their site, it's being sold by a 3rd party and is out of stock. Every time. I don't know if they even sell their own stuff, and won't bother to find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products