Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:47 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,777,247 times

Advertisements

My own personal observations:

Always buy:

Seasonal decorations
Gift Bags
Cards
Small puzzles for kids
Party goods
Basket wraps, party platters
Pregnancy tests, if you're TTC and need a bunch

Never buy:

Measuring spoons, especially if you use them to measure your child's medicine
Pet toys
Kid toys
Pencils
Oven mitts (ouch! ouch! I've burned myself with the dollar tree ones before)
Hair Color
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 08:19 PM

26,977 posts, read 43,502,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
I hate dollar stores....they are cancers.
I just get so upset thinking of all the wasted resources that went into those products....the transport cost and energy.

They waste resources to produce a $0.10 product that is shipped over from China and then trucked to the store....all that waste for a minimal profit margin.

Some products may be ok, better to use them than just trash them.....but I'd rather see these store disappear.
Exactly, and yet so many wonder why there are little well-paying jobs and how/why many can't afford to buy "regularly priced" items.....probably because so many are working in dollar store-like jobs. There's a pattern to how it's evolved and the American consumer has perpetuated our economic misery.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:06 AM

13,914 posts, read 39,159,498 times
Well the Dollar store of today Use to Be the 5 & Dimes of yesteryear! Dont know where you get the Waste of Resources at. I much rather pay $1 for the same thing that other stores sell for $5.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:20 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,981,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Well the Dollar store of today Use to Be the 5 & Dimes of yesteryear! Dont know where you get the Waste of Resources at. I much rather pay $1 for the same thing that other stores sell for $5.
If I had the money, I'd rather pay for it if it was produced locally and did not come from the other side of the world. How much goes into manufacturing this item? The material is probably shipped in from wherever, it is produced in a factory that probably does not care about environmental issues....it is shipped again across the world to be sold for $1.

How much fuel (oil) and pollution did that 1 item result in? And most if the items are a 1-time use item and then tossed in the trash so we get a nice landfill with junk.

I never ask for you to agree with me. I just said why I do not like these type of stores.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:40 AM

I buy for example LANCE PEANUTS 5 - 8 oz bags to the box $1 Go into any other Store Same Peanuts 6 - 8 oz bags in a box $3.50 LANCE Comes from North Carolina! Not 1/2 way around the World Peanuts Grown in the USA Packaged in USA Eaten in the USA LOL You need to Check these things Before You Assume anything! I also buy Drugs in $ Store MADE in Bridgeport CT USA!!! Tolit Cleaner is from GA! NOTHING I buy at the $ Stores in Made in China or outside the USA!

Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,981,851 times
Quote:
I buy for example LANCE PEANUTS 5 - 8 oz bags to the box $1 Go into any other Store Same Peanuts 6 - 8 oz bags in a box $3.50 LANCE Comes from North Carolina! Not 1/2 way around the World Peanuts Grown in the USA Packaged in USA Eaten in the USA LOL You need to Check these things Before You Assume anything! I also buy Drugs in $ Store MADE in Bridgeport CT USA!!! Tolit Cleaner is from GA! NOTHING I buy at the $ Stores in Made in China or outside the USA!
And as I said in my original post....I guess it is better to buy some of these items than to just trash them....but I think a lot of these items do more bad than good.

over and out

Old 09-26-2012, 12:15 PM

Guess you dont live in the USA.... So then they would be 1/2 way around the World to you!

Old 09-26-2012, 05:34 PM

23,558 posts, read 70,077,656 times
I don't have that black and white mentality that all stuff from out of the country is bad. If I can get a generic antihistamine for $1 that is made in China or India instead of paying $12 for the same thing U.S. made, I'm NOT thinking that there are U.S. jobs at stake. Pill making is automated. What IS at stake is an obscene profit that is going straight to the pockets of high paid executives who scheme and connive to limit access to cheaper alternatives. In a choice between the two, my dollar is voting. I don't want those high paid executives to get any more complacent and raise other prices even higher.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:51 PM

44,569 posts, read 61,347,806 times
Here's a recent article about shopping the 99 cent stores that aired on one of our local TV stations.
What to buy at 99¢ Only Stores to save the most

Old 10-02-2012, 05:33 AM
bjh

59,900 posts, read 30,245,188 times
Quote:
Five and dime stores had more decent quality items made in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products