U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 05:14 AM

519 posts, read 927,275 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if it's because I'm older now or if it is the staff themselves but I've noticed everytime I shop the staff tends to take 'right of way' - like if we both need to go down the same aisle and can't pass comfortably they will push ahead of me and make me wait.

I don't mind if other customers do this - who cares? But I feel annoyed when the actual floor staff do it to me. Mostly happens in variety stores like Target/ Kmart etc.

Another thing that is happening to me A LOT lately is in clothing boutiques I get sales staff calling out a greeting to me from behind me (sometimes WAY behind like a few racks over). I find this really bothers me - because I must say hello back - I really don't want to be rude, but I think it's rude to force me to turn around because they couldn't be bothered to come around in front of me.

I don't feel like I can approach the salesperson and tell them how annoying I find this - makes me feel like an old whinging bat.

Sigh.

Finally I get annoyed when sales staff ask me questions about why I want certain items, llike the other day I bought some high heels and I took them to the counter to pay and the woman wanted to know where I was going to wear them.

I know she was just making conversation - but sheesh - how do you even get out of answering?

So I just told her - but the horrible truth is if I was cheeky I would have said 'I don't want to tell you, just take my money'

Anyway, thanks for reading - feels good to get this off my chest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 12:47 PM

565 posts, read 1,128,297 times
Let me tell you this: Companies like Target and Kmart are telling their staff to interact with you the way they do. Want to know why? On those little surveys that pop up on reciepts that employees impel you to fill out online, customers constantly leave comments/answer the bubble questions saying that employees didn't greet them or interact with them.

The response to that? Those companies now require all of their employees to greet everyone within a 10'-20' radius, so that the customer can feel like they have been engaged, so if they have questions, they can get answers and spend more. The chatter follows the same method. Customers complain they feel like they aren't valued, and that retail only takes their money, so by chatting, the psychology is there that they aren't being solely gouged of their money anymore, engendering the feeling of being "cared for", which pays off in loyalty, which means more money over the long haul for the retailer. It's also a low end, cost-free tactic against online shopping. You can't talk to or feel "fawned over and worshipped" with online shopping.

Employees are held accountable to that, to the point where upper management will go out in street clothing and "observe" the interaction. Anyone not doing this is subject to write-ups or termination. So, it's not like they have a choice. The customer basically asked for it.

If people don't like this type of behavior, then nothing is going to change that unless and until customers make their voices known, both vocally/written and with money. Until then, the things that irritate customers like you (and me. I refuse to shop in Target because they just beat you over the head with asking you if you need help. Shut up and let me shop. I'll find you if I need anything. It's not like I'm so stupid that I wander the video game aisle looking for Sweet n' Low) will continue to make lives miserable because the general customer base asks for it.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:15 PM

21,550 posts, read 24,690,260 times
I'm not sure if it's because I'm older now or if it is the staff themselves but I've noticed everytime I shop the staff tends to take 'right of way' - like if we both need to go down the same aisle and can't pass comfortably they will push ahead of me and make me wait.

I don't mind if other customers do this - who cares? But I feel annoyed when the actual floor staff do it to me. Mostly happens in variety stores like Target/ Kmart etc.
Its city specific. I've noticed in some cities the employees try to pass you within a inch and in other cities the say"excuse me" to get past.
Another thing that is happening to me A LOT lately is in clothing boutiques I get sales staff calling out a greeting to me from behind me (sometimes WAY behind like a few racks over). I find this really bothers me - because I must say hello back - I really don't want to be rude, but I think it's rude to force me to turn around because they couldn't be bothered to come around in front of me.
Usually the boutiques are comission based. So once they greet you, other employees will see it and consider you as a customer of that salesperson. Or its the 10' rule to acknowledge in someway all customers. Most want you to see this as customer service, but in reality its done as crime prevention (criminals don't want to be noticed).

Finally I get annoyed when sales staff ask me questions about why I want certain items, llike the other day I bought some high heels and I took them to the counter to pay and the woman wanted to know where I was going to wear them.
Its done to they can suggest add-on sales to your purchase. Smaller add-ons have high margins and increase profit. Also some stores have a quota for lines per reciept.

So I just told her - but the horrible truth is if I was cheeky I would have said 'I don't want to tell you, just take my money'
Not the salespersons fault. Requirement of company/mgmt to do so.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:21 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,451,519 times
I haven't noticed those things in my area... and I am glad for it!

Old 10-31-2012, 01:50 AM

493 posts, read 1,024,222 times
There's also another purpose for the more-interactive stuff you're seeing -- at least, I think the professionals who study human behavior might agree. When I go to a store, it's usually not for browsing the entire store -- I have a list of things I want to look at, or certain items I know I want to buy, and I'm focused on my mission: to look at what I intend to look at, get it in my basket, get to the register and get out of the store. I don't want to be distracted by other things, because that takes up more time (and will undoubtedly cost me more money!), which I'd rather spend doing something else. When 5 clerks at Bed, Bath & Beyond stop me to say "Hello -- can I help you find something today?" well, that breaks my focus, something nearby grabs my attention and I'm reeled in to an item I probably had no intention of buying (at least that day) or even look at. Once you break your focus, you're looking at everything in the store.

This is just my experience and take on things, although it might sound goofy to you!

Old 10-31-2012, 02:10 AM

565 posts, read 1,128,297 times
I totally get what you are saying, and wouldn't it be beyond outstanding if that very psychology, that retailers use to try and keep customers from jumping to online stores, actually turned out to be a contributing factor for it?

Old 10-31-2012, 02:56 AM

519 posts, read 927,275 times
I should mention as a post script that I LOVE my 2 local Home and Garden stores.

The sales staff NEVER approach me or say hello - and I love it.

I just want to quietly browse and be alone with my thoughts. They always let me be.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:05 AM

275 posts, read 353,841 times
I understand your dilemma OP, but what I notice today is so many young employees in their 20s have very little manners at all!
It is sad but true. It's like no one bothered to teach them manners or respect at all, and that is so annoying when you go shopping for SO many retail stores ONLY want to hire young teens , or people in their early 20s now!
I was taught by my folks to NOT invade people's privacy, but I think the younger generation, to a large degree never was.
Also figure they grew up online, while we had to react with people face
to face, or at least over the phone.

I see many retail stores now hiring some super rude younger employees, Stop & Shop, and Shop Rite are some of them, and they r grocery stores too!
These retail stores need to start hiring people who are at least in their mid 30s or early 40s so customers can be treated with some respect or they'll be losing money big time, & maybe end up going out of business.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:51 AM

19,860 posts, read 17,935,015 times
Many young people have no manners and can't figure out how to react when confronted with common courtesy.
A salesperson asks you if they can help you. Do you:
A. Ignore them, if you needed help you'd ask.
B. Wonder why they're suspecting you of doing something.
C. Laugh at them for not making as much money as your parents do.
D. Laugh at them for working, period.
E. Thank them and let them help you, or politely say you don't need any help.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:15 AM

155 posts, read 309,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Its done to they can suggest add-on sales to your purchase. Smaller add-ons have high margins and increase profit. Also some stores have a quota for lines per reciept.
Oh how I've come to loath this type of add-on Marketing/Selling.

Cashier: Your zip code, please.
Me: Why do you need my zip code?
Cashier: It's for marketing, it won't allow me to ring you up without your zip code
Me: Fine. 99723 (Barrow, AK. Let's see what marketing thinks of that)
Cashier: And your phone number.
Me: My phone number?!?
Cashier: It tracks your purchase in case you don't have your reciept for a return.
Me: You're kidding?
Cashier: I can't ring you up unless I enter your phone number.
Me: [Gives the phone number of the local police station]

Cashier (starts ringing up purchases): Oh I see this qualifies for our extended warrenty for only $10.00.
Me: $10 for a $15 dollar item? No thank you.

Cashier: Would you like to open a [name of company] credit card to put this on today?
Me: No.
Cashier: If you put this on your [name of company] credit card, you will receive X% off of today's purchase.
Me: Not interested.
Cashier: You're not interested in saving X%?
Me: No. Just ring me up and quit asking me questions. I just want to purchase what I have here on the counter.

Cashier: Would you like to donate $1 to blah blah blah charity today?
Me: If the next thing out of your mouth is not my total, I'm walking out and leaving everything here on the counter!
Cashier: Well you don't have to be so rude.
Me: Good-bye!

Last edited by tgauchsin; 11-02-2012 at 09:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products