U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2012, 11:28 AM

8,096 posts, read 11,935,923 times

Advertisements

I had no idea where to ask this question.
My 89 year old Mother has a landline. She doesnt make that many calls, some in her small town, a few long distance to my sister who lives an hour away in the same state and a few to me 4 hours away in a different state. She has some relatives in Europe she would like to be free to call..
My sister switched her to some sort of package deal which is 60.00 a month. Previously she must have been paying 40.00. I guess the idea was to pay a little more and have unlimited calling but apparently she still gets charged extra for Europe at the least.
She is driving us crazy about it. I have no idea whether there are options for her type of calling.
Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 11:47 AM

2,187 posts, read 3,717,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I had no idea where to ask this question.
My 89 year old Mother has a landline. She doesnt make that many calls, some in her small town, a few long distance to my sister who lives an hour away in the same state and a few to me 4 hours away in a different state. She has some relatives in Europe she would like to be free to call..
My sister switched her to some sort of package deal which is 60.00 a month. Previously she must have been paying 40.00. I guess the idea was to pay a little more and have unlimited calling but apparently she still gets charged extra for Europe at the least.
She is driving us crazy about it. I have no idea whether there are options for her type of calling.
Anyone?

Hi. I know how frustrated you must be - I took care of my Dad for many years and once they get a "bee in their bonnet" about something - you will not have any peace!!! Without knowing specifics of where she lives or where in Europe she needs to call I can't imagine what her options may be. Dad got fed up with OhioBell and ended up switching to this one: https://www.sagetelecom.net/. It was much cheaper, no more hidden costs, and the quality was very good. Not sure if it is available where you need it to be - but it costs nothing to take a look. The only other options might be for you and your sister to absorb the cost of anything above what Mom is willing or able to pay - so she can keep in contact with her distant relatives (and while she's on the phone with THEM, she can't be calling you to complain...see how that works??) Good luck!!!

Old 11-03-2012, 01:20 PM

18,690 posts, read 55,703,731 times
Go to Walmart, look at the straighttalk package. For $100 you buy a box that receives cellphone signals and routes them into a standard telephone jack. You plug your regular phone into the jack. For $15/month you get unlimited voice calls within the U.S., for $30/month unlimited voice calls worldwide. THis is not VOIP. No high speed internet required. The service has free call waiting, caller ID, and voicemail. You CANNOT do faxes or connect a tivo or other data line.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:52 PM

8,096 posts, read 11,935,923 times
Thank you for the inputs. Currently she has att. We will be comparing these 3.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:47 PM

5,224 posts, read 13,672,572 times
I'm not sure there will be any calls to Europe that will be free, or included.

I LOVE a landline! The sound is better and with a real phone reciever, I can tuck it onto my shoulder and I can work in the kitchen while talking on the phone...I can't do that with my cell phone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or