Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2012, 02:59 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times

Advertisements

I don't know how, but could this possibly have been some sort of scam or attempted scam?? Maybe not, but wondering if anyone has heard of such a thing.

Anyway, had noticed this woman in the Ross store, she was in African dress no big deal. After completing my shopping, I exited the store, put my stuff in the trunk of my car and walked back toward the row of stores to go into the shoe store.

The woman approached said she was waiting for her ride, they were late and seeing as though she was from Africa (she said Nigeria) could not use her cell phone which she displayed to me, and would I mind calling her ride? I said okay, pulled out my cell phone, which is an old flip phone BTW, and dialed the number she read to me from off her phone. The line rang and went into a full mail box. She then gave me another number to dial. That went to voice mail, I was able to leave a message stating the lady was anxious because her ride was late. I assured the lady that it was only a few minutes past the time and they would be there.

I then finally went into the shoe store. No sooner had I stepped in than my cell phone rang. It was the ride calling. I explained the situation, they said they were on their way and thanked me.

Me with my super security conscious husband has me generally hyper-aware and alert. I don't see how this could be anything, but I have heard of "Nigerian Scams" - just wanted to ask. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 03:13 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,407,499 times
"Nigerian Scams" take place in Nigeria. They are highly organized confidence scams, and while they can involve phone scams - mostly they are email scams. Usually they are worded as they are a rich person in some dire situation and if you bail them out you will be rewarded with lots of money.

It was kind of you to call for her ride for her, but I'm fairly sure that's all it was.

To be safe though, if you get a phone call in the next few weeks claiming that your nephew is being held in a South American jail and needs money for bail - it's probably a scam.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:19 PM

^^Funny!! Yeah, I figured it was okay. Thank you for responding !!

Old 11-03-2012, 03:43 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,407,499 times
No prob. It's good to be cautious these days

Old 11-04-2012, 01:52 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Could be a scam very easily. These people have been known to do the telephone calling thing to get your number whereby they either sell your number or use it to charge 1000's of dollars on your number. Watch your phone bill closely. Or call the phone company right now and explain the situation and see if any calls are being used illegally.

How do I know this, my wife fell for it in Hollywood while on vacation. The phone company called me a few days after the calls started to pile up and wanted to know how we could ring up $75,000 on phone calls in 3 days. After explaining our situation they vacated our bill, said they were aware of this phony scheme.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:23 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,525,022 times
I have my number blocked. Nobody can see who is calling.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:36 PM

Thanks for posting this.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:23 PM

Thanks again Nitram. I did call the cell phone company, they said something as you mentioned had happened before, rare, but did happen and they now have new measures in place. I called twice to get different opinions from the reps as well as to go on record regarding what happened.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:42 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
I have my number blocked. Nobody can see who is calling.
Some people can still see your number. It depends on the type of plan the person receiving the call has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products