U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 02:08 AM

40,074 posts, read 48,974,742 times

Advertisements

We tried the Sleep Number bed, ugh, felt like we were camping out in the forest on the ground on an air mattress.
We have a Serta i-Comfort Genius (2yrs) and love it. Beats the hot Tempurpedic by a long shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 05:22 AM

6,018 posts, read 4,401,752 times
I suffer from menopause (hot flashes at night), and am NO more hot on my tempurpedic than any other mattress.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:52 AM

820 posts, read 819,504 times
I think temperpedic type mattresses are way overrated and actually end up causing health issues like soreness,aching joints,stiffness etc.They may seem all well and good initially but after a a few months is when the problems begin.They are just not soft and comforting enough for the upper body.
I have one now and it just occurred to me yesterday that it is giving me problems and i can't wait to get rid of it.It is the queen sized firm model and I got it for free in excellent like new condition and now I understand why.They are just not comfortable for long term use by the average consumer in my opinion particularly if you are a side sleeper.If you just sleep on your back they might be okay but i don't.
Many people will tell themselves they are great after purchasing trying to justify all the money spent and then wonder why they start having aches and pains after sleeping on it for a few months.Maybe they are okay for lighweight people less than 150 pounds but i don't know.
They are also made with lots of chemicals that can result in allergic reactions such as rashes,inflammation and itchy red eyes.
They are definitely not "all that" and certainly not environmently friendly. You shouldn't have to buy an expensive topper to make an already expensive bed comfortable.I recommend staying away from these.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 870 times
Looking at buying a sleep number bed cause of back issues. I'm not fond of the therapeutic mattress an I need a mattress that is a bit firmer. Any suggestions on brand of sleep number bed needing a firmer mattress an like the idea of being able to adjust head an foot an softness . Would appreciate any suggestions
Betty

Old 07-10-2013, 10:27 PM

2,157 posts, read 2,747,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty chalick View Post
Looking at buying a sleep number bed cause of back issues. I'm not fond of the therapeutic mattress an I need a mattress that is a bit firmer. Any suggestions on brand of sleep number bed needing a firmer mattress an like the idea of being able to adjust head an foot an softness . Would appreciate any suggestions
Betty

I own the second highest model. Sleep Number and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I would have thrown out my Sleep Number a LOOOOOOOOONG time ago if it didn't cost me so much money. Sleep Number have two big weakness in their bed: The Foam and the Air Chamber. The Foam broke down after two years and it was going to cost me $700 to replace it. Do you know how expensive that stupid bed is? And they can't even have a reliable product that will last for more than two years? I weighed 160ish lbs and my wife weigh at under 110 lbs. These foams aren't part of the warranties so you will have to pay out of your own pocket.

Lets not even get me started on the Air Chambers. Air Chambers lose air all the time. I go to sleep at 90 and the next morning it would be at 60. My wife's side would be 80 and the next day, it would be 40. We replaced the Air Chamber over the years and still continues to deflate over night. We have been exchanging parts so often we gave up on exchanging parts for quite some time now. We just put up with it. But it may be time again to do some parts replacement again. Their bread and butter to this bed is their "Number" but it's useless if it fluctuate over huge numbers every night.

We thought the Air Pump might be what's causing the fluctuation so we had it replace several times as well. Yeah, to this day...we still don't know the reason why it fluctuate so often.....I can go on and on but yeah....I hate that fracking bed but I'm going to sleep on it until it falls apart for the money that I wasted on this bed. So yeah, over the years, we have switch parts after parts and still has not resolve the issue we first became aware of the first night we Slept on our Sleep Number.............

I remember the salesman telling me that even though the Sleep Number was expensive, in the long run, I would save money because I would not have to buy another bed for the next 25 yrs. due to their amazing warranties....Yeah.... One day, I'll sit down and add up all the additional money we lost spent on fixing this Sleep Number bed on top of the cost this bed originally cost us.

This past month, our Sleep Number is unbearable. I just ordered new foam topper off of ebay for $380 and in the process of looking again to replace one of the air chambers (one side is deflating much more than the other). For the love of God....I don't know what the hell is wrong with this stupid bed. It has been almost a decade now. I don't know if I can tolerate this bed for another decade. Good luck with that 25 year warranty. I thought I wouldn't have to waste money again for a bed until 25 yrs later...LOL.

The Sleep Number bed is NOTHING MORE THAN an air mattress with a foam topper.

Last edited by calnbs; 07-10-2013 at 10:52 PM..

Old 07-11-2013, 04:39 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,681,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty chalick View Post
Betty
Don't do it. Its as much as a waste as the Tempurpedic. Buy a conventional mattress with better pillows.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:49 PM

3,904 posts, read 9,579,957 times
Conventional mattresses are fairly cheap especially when they are on sale. We've found a medium firm mattress with a separate memory foam topper works great for us. Total cost about $600-$700 for a queen. At that price, I don't mind replacing it every 4-5 years. The one brand we have had great results with is King Coil wihich is now part of Comfort Solutions.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:40 AM

9,198 posts, read 22,166,597 times
We bought a memory foam mattress online - similar to tempurpedic but a fraction of the cost. I sleep very well on it. It's rather firm, but I find I shift very little in my sleep on this mattress.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:49 PM

5,893 posts, read 11,522,821 times
I've slept on a Sleep Number bed when staying at a friend's place. The first time I liked it, and the last time I hated it. Glad I didn't rush out and buy one.

I have a Tempurpedic pillow that I hardly ever use, preferring the Latex pillow I bought at JC Penney instead. Can't imagine a Tempurpedic mattress but wondering for those of you who have them if they are easy to get in and out of. I was thinking in terms of when I was a little older and maybe needed to get up and use the washroom in a hurry during the night.

The most comfortable mattresses to me are the ones currently used in Hampton hotels.

I am having trouble deciding on a new mattress so, for now, am sleeping on my old one -- and not even with a memory foam topper.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:55 PM

18,946 posts, read 5,055,326 times
We recently got a new mattress, we chose a firm but it was too firm, like sleeping on the floor, so after
3 days we traded it for a firm with pillow top, just firm enough with a little give... never cared to try either
the Tempurpedic or Sleep number kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products