Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 07:52 PM

993 posts, read 2,280,607 times

Advertisements

Some people have checking accounts with debit cards, but if they abuse the debits cards with too many overdrafts, etc., the debit cards get taken away. I used to work at a credit union and if someone OD their acct. twice with the debit card, the debit card was cancelled. Then again, some people would rather write checks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 07:59 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,099,452 times
to keep track of expenses. people that pay cash dont have a clue where the money went.
also old people are afraid to carry cash. of course they dont realize that banking rules have changed and that a checkbook is far more vulnerable to mega theft and forgery than small amounts of cash. under new banking laws you or the money tree that cashed it are responsible for the forged check not the bank. if you did not file a stop payment too bad, its your nickel. stop payments cost $25 each.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:00 PM

1,945 posts, read 7,344,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindiana View Post
Some people have checking accounts with debit cards, but if they abuse the debits cards with too many overdrafts, etc., the debit cards get taken away. I used to work at a credit union and if someone OD their acct. twice with the debit card, the debit card was cancelled. Then again, some people would rather write checks.
Hmm. Seems like that would be a problem with a check too.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:04 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,934,003 times
It does take some people awhile to write out the check. What takes the longest is when the customer has alot of change & the clerk must count it all. That happened a few days ago & i stepped out of the line & got into a faster lane.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:29 PM

9,487 posts, read 16,380,540 times
I've noticed it also. I remember travelling thru Raleigh NC over the summer, and I stopped in several stores. It was one after the other customer writing checks at the register. If I didn't see it so many times, then I probably wouldn't have thought anything of it. It was just so many of them I was surprised. I don't know the reason someone writes with a check. I guess its thier preferance. I just know I haven't written a check in a store in many years, and have no plans to ever again. I rather use the debit card or pay cash. To each thier own though.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:44 PM

30,243 posts, read 15,998,725 times
cash is my 1st choice and I use it most of the time. Checks are 2nd. I don't have a debit card and hopefully will never have to get one.

The credit card is for bug unexpected expenses, like the ball joints I had put on the car a couple of wks ago. Definitley not for a bottle of shampoo I saw charged the other day, or a drive thru order at Burger King.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:19 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,520,858 times
I use checks because that way, I'm always one arithmetic calculation away from knowing exactly how much money is in my account. Banks love you guys who pay with debit cards, especially when you ovedraw your account-- they're happy, at least for a time, to lend you the money to make the purchase good, and maybe charge a processing fee on top of it.

I made my last bank move years ago to a credit union that let me use carbonless copy checks, where I not only could keep the running total on the copy, but had an immediate record of every check I wrote.

Finally, it's a wonderful way to teach the virtue of patience to the young people standing behind me in the grocery line.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:26 PM

88,041 posts, read 83,846,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Alright, alright. Thanks for explaining . Ohio, you are probably a fast writer. I seem to get behind the disorganized check writer fumbling through her checkbook.
All right, well THAT'S just wrong. Even before debit cards came out, it would annoy the heck out of me to see somebody wait until the entire order was rung up and then suddenly seem to remember that they were going to pay by check and go searching for a checkbook and a pen... Why on earth would you not make out the check with everything except for the amount before you even left the house? If for some reason you couldn't do that, then at least do it while waiting on line or while your stuff is being rung up.

My mother doesn't use a debit card, and she pays by check. But even at 84 she has enough sense to prep the check ahead of time.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:27 AM

1,721 posts, read 2,766,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I do, as I have bills to pay.

How do you pay your bills?
you could pay a bill with a money order. wich make me wonder when I get a money order at my market at the customer service counter why people thinks its fine to bring there grochieries to the counter rather then the checkout some have a few small things oithers more its bad ebough you have to wait on the lottery buyers . and why would one get cash at the atm machine rather then just use there card at the register .
one reason to use a check I can think of is a debt come out ot the bank notmally imidiatly a check can take days if they don't have the funds available .

Old 11-18-2012, 12:52 AM

24,488 posts, read 40,990,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
It is actually much safer than using your Debit/Credit Cards.
How so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products