U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 01:22 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,224,117 times

Advertisements

We bought a desk there and a butcher block table and considering the reasonable price, they've both stood the test of time. The butcher block table has been moved outside a lot during outdoor BBQ's, etc. and it's still in great condition. We conditioned the wood to protect it from the elements. I don't shop there often, but have found it to be a fun shopping experience and have been happy with my purchased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 01:39 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,975,185 times
Don't have one here! *sob*

We had one back home. One in Virginia and one in Maryland. I love going to Ikea.
The store is so much fun. You can get lost in there! Lots of stuff to ooh and aah over!
I used to get all of my bookcases from them and one or two other things. I wish there was one up in Alaska. But hey we don't even have a Target yet!

Old 10-16-2007, 10:17 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,365,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessofRandomThoughts View Post
Don't have one here! *sob*

We had one back home. One in Virginia and one in Maryland. I love going to Ikea.
The store is so much fun. You can get lost in there! Lots of stuff to ooh and aah over!
I used to get all of my bookcases from them and one or two other things. I wish there was one up in Alaska. But hey we don't even have a Target yet!
When I move to Alaska, there better be an IKEA ready to open soon Or I'll open one myself (can I do that? Better have a look...) or we'll "just" go to Seattle. That's not too far. Uhm... ok, maybe it is a bit far then.

There is some production in Sweden, but not everything is made here. China, for example, stands for 18% of the production. (The food is made here, though not the dishes, of course)

(Just for some fun: two years ago, me and my friend used to go IKEA and their cafeteria and sit there and do Chemistry and other homework and enjoy our free re-fills of coke or tea, hihi And when it was the cinnamon buns's day, we would get cinnamon buns for 5 kronor each!)

Pretty much everything in my room (furniture and some decoration) and in my house comes from IKEA. I don't think there is anything wrong with the quality, but sometimes there has been a shortage of screws, which can be quite annoying sometimes...

(Something else I like about IKEA is that you get a free Swedish/Danish/Norweigan Geography course when buying furniture etc, and names when buying other stuff. Sometimes a dyslectic company founder is great for business...)

Old 10-16-2007, 10:28 AM

788 posts, read 1,936,962 times
I love going to the store - just went recently and was disappointed that the quality seems to be getting worse. I would never buy furniture from the store now and I have in the past - I like their kitchen & food section though....

Old 10-16-2007, 11:22 AM

3,698 posts, read 10,308,577 times
IKEA is great for outfitting your first place after you move away from home. I avoid it like the plague on weekends. The store near Seattle is decent on Friday night, for some reason. Almost empty, which makes it much more relaxing for me to shop.

I don't like the feeling that I'm being manipulated, though, and IKEA designs their stores to pretty much force you to walk past everything on your way to the checkstands. I find that I get about halfway through and the only thing I'm thinking about at that point is wanting to get out.

I call it Ragnarok. It's a bleak destiny that I must fight and despite the fact that I know I will have to go I go defiantly.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:32 AM

12,203 posts, read 17,762,543 times
I like Mid Century Modern design and a lot of what Ikea designs fits the bill. Those who are weary of the quality are correct. Much of it is disposable, at least if you ever disassemble it. So while the design quality is great, the build quality is often so-so.

But...there are always gems to be found. I and other vinyl record fans love the Expedits because they are perfect for storing vinyl. The Ivar system, while hell to put together, holds anything once its complete. And I have this sleek TV stand/cabinet that I will probably never part with. It has a swivel and then four shelves which enable me to store the signal box, DVD, a stereo and some books. I added hairpin table legs to raise it and make it look even more cool. There is a growing cult of people who enjoy custominzing Ikea stuff.

So yes, always be discerning and make sure you arrive early on the weekends.

I do wonder why Ikea has managed to avoid a Walmart like wrath as it does make tastes uniform.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:06 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,365,636 times
Not that I have much to add at this point (besides from the question: is add really spelled add? We had a discussion about this during our English lesson today but unfortunately, the teacher wasn't there) but a funny fact:

A new Billy -bookshelf is made every six seconds.

(And I love Expedit, though the name seemingly differs from the name-model Ikea uses when naming products- I don't know of a town or place in Sweden called Expedit...)

Old 10-16-2007, 01:13 PM

13,111 posts, read 25,201,030 times
How about their platform beds for a guest room??
They look nice & price is right BUT????

Guess I'll have to go look in store and not just catalog

Old 10-16-2007, 01:20 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,975,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
When I move to Alaska, there better be an IKEA ready to open soon Or I'll open one myself (can I do that? Better have a look...) or we'll "just" go to Seattle. That's not too far. Uhm... ok, maybe it is a bit far then.
Sorry babe, I doubt there will be a Ikea here soon. I hope I am wrong but I don't think so.
Hey if you have any pull maybe you can make it happen!

If not, let me know when you go down to Seattle, I'll go with you!!

Old 10-16-2007, 01:36 PM

119 posts, read 504,117 times
There's a large Ikea out in Woodbridge, which isn't too far away. Ikea items are either a really good deal or far too expensive for what you're buying. It really varies item by item.

The Good:
Scratch/dent/floor model area=love, you can pick up some nice deals here and fix most of the problems with a couple nails, coat of paint, slipcover, or other items in the area (especially in the desk/table missing top matched with the large sheets of glass and plexi)
Some furniture, kitchen, and decorating items at regular prices can help you fill up an empty/first apartment for cheap.
Some furniture is absolutely wonderful, my dad bought me a Bangsund bed ( http://ohmyapt.apartmentratings.com/images/IKEA_bed.jpg it was around $250) for college, which I don't think they have in store anymore that I still have as a guest bed and storage (as it's matress area is around waist height for the average person and all the area under it is storage, the entire length and width of the bed) If they had it in California King it'd be our regular bed.
Almost everything can be bought flat packed for a quick assembly and easy move(electric screwdriver with an alan wrench attachment and a rubber mallet are serious godsends)
IkeaHacker, ikea hacker has some neat and easy modifications to personalize your purchases

The Bad:
A lot of people have the same Ikea items, your designs with the items really won't be unique
Some of the items are truely cheap in quality. Some of the furniture isn't sturdy, some of the stains just look bad, the cheaper pans and knives and such rust and warp easily, etc
Some items are very overpriced
Not everything is available in different stores and online, especially when comparing Ikea Canada's items to the U.S. ones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products