U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 01:53 PM

558 posts, read 2,075,419 times

Advertisements

You're right, Sweden, it's spelled "add"!

I love IKEA and we're FINALLY getting one down her in Florida...YIPPEE....! Now we can go into a store and see something besides palm trees, flamingoes, and patio furniture...!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 06:17 PM

1,888 posts, read 7,217,296 times
They just had an IKEA grand opening in a city not too far from me (in south florida). People waited in line for 2-3 days for this! I had never been to one but I checked out the website to see what the hoopla was about. Well....good advertisement, I guess. The prices were decent (really inexpensive) but I'm not one for the minimalist look. I wouldnt mind purchasing a few pieces here and there (say, an end table for a first time home or apt or maybe buy some cool looking chairs for the den) but I wouldn't furnish my entire home with their products.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:26 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,528,342 times
A new IKEA store is opening in early 2008 in West Chester, OH (a Northern suburb of Cincinnati) I rather enjoy their restaurant and the furniture/furnishings are pretty neat (but I'll echo the sentiments about it being somewhat less sturdy). Have delivered to their store in Schaumburg, IL (Chicagoland), too.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:04 AM

18 posts, read 108,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
Do you have one in your city?
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
Opinions?
It exists.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:38 PM

305 posts, read 734,060 times
i always see cute things at my friends apartments, but i think that store is way too big!

Old 10-25-2007, 02:10 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,245,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
None here, but have been curious about Ikea. Have never been to one, maybe will drop by next time in the DFW area. I have heard there are alot of nice kitchen items. Is everything made in Sweden?
No, but a lot of it is made in China.

Ikea is OK for some things; if you want to get a bunch of kitchen gadgets cheaply, get thee to Ikea. If you want a good sturdy inexpensive bookcase, the Billy range is a good option.

However, most of it is (I feel) poor quality for the money, and I don't care for most of the styles on sale there. I owned an Ikea (klippan) sofa and the thing was a piece of garbage...it literally fell apart over the course of four years. Plus, beware of the slipcovers; I don't know how they ever fit those on the floor models but no Ikea slipcover I've ever owned fit properly, even BEFORE they were washed. I followed all the washing instructions to the letter but the slipcovers still shrank substantially in the wash.

Oh, and that Lack coffee table we had...HORRIBLE. The bottom of it was cardboard and the top of it was the most razor-thin veneer I'd ever seen. It was a piece of garbage.

I would not recommend it for most things.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:53 PM

5,035 posts, read 14,676,830 times
Yes there is one that just opened near my city about three months ago. Dont' care for the style that they offer and I'm not much of a shopper. I prefer country/amish furniture and furnishings. I have no desire to go there. I looked through the catalog they mailed me and nothing, not one thing caught my eye.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:42 PM

4,270 posts, read 14,073,912 times
I LOVE Ikea. I was so happy when I found out the city we moved to had one an hour away. When we lived in NY, the closest one was in Jersey and that was 3 hrs away.

Ikea is great for people looking for affordable, decent furniture. We are hopefully buying a house soon and I bet you most of our stuff will come from Ikea. I don't think their quality is superior, but it is decent and will last your a few years. We will probably get some staples at high end, nicer furniture stores but for guest rooms and the like, we'll decorate with Ikea stuff (like our guest room now!)

I can spend hours at that store, much to my husbands delight, I'm sure.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:32 AM

5 posts, read 28,197 times
At IKEA u get what u pay 4! I have one opening down the road from me in 3-4 yrs. I can't wait for the swedish meatballs.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:09 PM

786 posts, read 905,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furnitureguy View Post
I can't wait for the swedish meatballs.
How much do you pay for those?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products