U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 03:52 PM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,082 posts, read 1,850,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
Do you have one in your city? Opinions?
We do have one in Paramus. This was the only one time experience when item was returned, but no credit was issued to my credit card. After long fight with customer department finally it was credited. After this I will never shop in IKEA again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 01:03 AM

51 posts, read 149,819 times
Oh dear, poor foma … you took a beating, and so good-naturedly! I reread that series of posts you found yourself snared in, and thought perhaps the “Don’t diss” meant “Don’t diss yourself.” Rest assured, sweetie, your perceptive observations, your healthy self-deprecation, and your long-suffering cheerfulness were not lost on most of us.

As for Ikea, I visited many in Germany, and once I resigned myself to marching through the whole store every time, even when all I wanted was sheets or a computer desk, I looked on it as another wonderful European experience this American was blessed with. We bought a few things and were delighted with the ingenuity and ease of assembly. Upon our return to the US, we discovered an Ikea* a scant fifty miles away. Same restrictive routing, but the stock is much more American. Nothing wrong with American goods, but it’s less unique, less foreign-therefore-attractive. We’ve been there twice, but I think our Ikea craving has been satisfied.

* difficult shift in pronunciation from eee-kay-ya to eye-kee-ya

Old 12-06-2007, 12:14 PM

5,081 posts, read 13,130,620 times
We have bought quite a bit from IKEA (AKA - Particleboard 'R Us).

Some of their stuff is fair quality but overpriced.
Most of it is cheap junk.

The worst part of shopping there is being herded through acres and acres of stuff like cattle through the stockyards. Yes, I know there are maps and shortcuts. Good luck using them.

But we didn't shop there for the experience, or the quality of the merchandise. We bought the stuff because it was cheap and we can throw it out when we move or get tired of it.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:21 PM

13,488 posts, read 4,742,010 times
Been there lots of times but haven't bought bigger things yet. The sofas are just not my thing, not very good quality. I only bought some shelfs and tons of decoration stuff. They are really good with decoration items here. A large variety for a good price.

We're planning on buying a wardrobe there but that will be a bit costly because it has to be a big one and some things at IKEA are really expensive. However they have a great storage system for the wardrobes with things where you can hang your trousers and things like that but all this small bits are so expensive... So it has to wait some more months before we buy one, but it'll definitely be at IKEA.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:20 AM

8,314 posts, read 26,602,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
Do you have one in your city? Opinions?
Most of their products are cheap garbage that will not last 3 years. Particle board and Melamine with cute designs. If you are careful there are some good 100% pine products (their folding chairs, for example).

Old 12-11-2007, 04:30 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,242,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Most of their products are cheap garbage that will not last 3 years. Particle board and Melamine with cute designs. If you are careful there are some good 100% pine products (their folding chairs, for example).
You got that right. Ikea has the odd quality product, but most of it is disposable garbage.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:57 AM

524 posts, read 990,912 times
Does anyone have experience with the IKEA ALVE series? I have never been a huge IKEA fan, and I never would have thought that I am seriously considering buying furniture from there because I am skeptical about their quality. However, the ALVE office furniture looks like it is good quality solid pine furniture that is either cheaper or more attractive than some other furniture I am looking at. Hopefully someone out there will be kind enough to share their experiences with IKEA ALVE or any of IKEA's solid pine furniture in terms of quality, durability and long-term appearance. Thanks!

Old 08-18-2008, 02:46 PM

1,097 posts, read 3,618,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I like Mid Century Modern design and a lot of what Ikea designs fits the bill. Those who are weary of the quality are correct. Much of it is disposable, at least if you ever disassemble it.
Thanks for pointing this out. To me, that's the problem with IKEA (and most assemble-it-yourself furniture). It may look fine when you get it together the first time, but it won't hold up to being disassembled. And unfortunately, it's still not quite sturdy enough to hold up well in a move. There are always exceptions, but I know my wife and I went on a big IKEA kick five years ago and got a lot of stuff. Most of the furniture is junk now. The housewares and little placemats and candles and things are fine, but the chairs, coffee table, futon/couch, etc. are all loose and wobbly.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:59 PM

542 posts, read 1,548,505 times
The Ikea in Frisco, TX is about a 15 minute drive for me and I have been a couple of times but avoid it on Saturdays! As a whole, I'm not a huge fan of their products but I do like a few here and there. In fact, I bought a guest bed, night stand and dresser and am pleased with it. I also bought a TV stand for my big screen TV and it looks great!

Old 08-18-2008, 03:03 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,368,747 times
Abosultely correct to everyone! I first went to Ikea last week - I was initially impressed (or shell-shocked!) at the incredibly efficient designs, but ultimately blown away by the shoddy construction on furniture. Now I know why Craigslist is over-burdened with items from Ikea.

I bought a little area rug. It was inexpensive, and I don't care if my dog destroys it.

On the good side, IKEA allows people like me to spend a little money on disposable furniture - solid wood is out of my budget! I like their wardrobe designs and bathrooms storage designs. Disposable furniture in a disposable world - it fits!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products