U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 02:02 PM

3,698 posts, read 10,312,379 times

Advertisements

I think IKEA pretty much explains why the suicide rate in Sweden is so high. The local IKEA (near Seattle) on a Saturday is about as close to Ragnarok as I care to be. In old Viking mythology, there is a belief in the inevitability of things and that you can't change what is going to happen. But you are measured by how you face those situations. The warriors know that they can't change whether or not today is the day that they die, but they will face the day assuming that no matter what they do their fate is already decided. They might as well race into the fight because it has already been determined that they will live or die before the first blow is struck.

When you walk in to an IKEA, you are going to walk through more of the store than you care to see regardless of whether or not you want to. They are nice enough to put a café in the middle of the store so you have a better chance of surviving all the way to the cash registers. But there is an inevitability once you step into the store. If you are meant to buy a Billy bookshelf, then you are going to buy it. It doesn't matter how annoying the store layout is, or how unpleasant the check out lines are, or how many times you'll swear at the Runic instructions when you finally get the box home - it has already been decided before you step through the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 02:01 AM

2,905 posts, read 6,641,793 times
My recent favorite purchases at Ikea were:

Garlic press: one of the best I've used. Threw out my old one (which wasn't bad, but Ikea one is better)

Two-pack of flexible cutting boards (1.79) Excellent, cheap, thicker than most but still flexible.

I have several pieces of Ikea furniture at home as we bought a new house and couldn't afford to furnish it from a high end furniture store (and didn't want to yet with small kids)

Anyhow, my daughter's dresser (I think the hennes line?) was fun to put together, however if I had to do it again, I would use wood glue on the drawers. One of the drawers keeps falling apart and it is really pissing me off. It is annoying as hell. Oh, this dresser did tip over onto two toddlers in my home one day (they were both standing on the bottom drawers), thank GOD they did not get hurt, but do attach it to the wall somehow.

We have two of the expedit shelving units in the house, both in the kids rooms. I cannot say enough about these shelves, I LOVE them in the kids rooms. you can store so much on them, books, toys, everything. For the 4X4 block one, though, DO affix it to the wall as well because it just screams "climb me to get what's on top". However, if you cannot get all the pegs to line up and you feel the need to hammer on it, use a mallet and NOT a hammer and flimsy pillow as a cushion, which is what I did and damaged it.

I have three billy bookcases in my house, and they hold SOOOOOO much stuff it is unbelievable. I ahve two in my living room with doors on the bottom half, perfect for all those videos and dvd's. I am just pissed that they discontinued the corner bookcase in this line.

They have a great dishtowel for 49 cents, white with a red stripe, they wash up great and you cant beat the price.

I have also gotten twin sheets for $3.00 there. they are 100% cotton, don't know the thread count tho. They are not very silky, not like my 600 thread sheets on my bed, but if you have a bed-wetter and go thru a lot of sheets $3 is a great price for back-ups. They get softer and softer as you wash them.

I am 60 miles from an Ikea so I've only utilized the kids room once, which my son loved, but you can only leave your kid in there for like 45 minutes or something. I cant even begin to shop there in 45 minutes so i usually leave the kids at home. If i lived closer i would def. utilize the kids room and make more frequent, shorter trips.

I love Ikea, and though their furniture will not last you a lifetime, who cares? Do you really want your furniture to last you a lifetime?

Old 08-23-2008, 07:12 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,755,553 times
I love Ikea. Was just there today, the nearest one to me is the one in Canton, MI (about 15 minutes away)

Old 08-24-2008, 05:23 PM

8,267 posts, read 18,723,616 times
The only thing is that you have to put everything together yourself. Now, I don't know about you, but I am not handy at all with tools & complicated instructions.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-31-2008, 02:17 PM

510 posts, read 1,863,684 times
We have an IKEA opening soon in Charlotte, NC. It is located less than 10 miles north of "uptown" Charlotte, just off of I-85. There is alot of excitement about the store here. Most are just glad that they don't have to go to Virginia or Georgia now.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:35 PM

103 posts, read 352,293 times
Someone in this entire thread almost hit on it. This is DIY furniture, people! You cannot compare it with factory built. It is no better or worse than any other of like construction IMHO. I lived within 25 miles of 3 Ikeas for many years and bought something in just about every category. You get what you pay for. Since they have most items assembled for you to look at, you can see the construction. They have some excellent products but not at bargain prices. You can also, as I did with a bed, pop on different mattresses and check it for comfort. What brought that to mind was a Wally World visit the other day. I sat in a display computer chair and the employees went berserk. The whole incident was made for TV, but they said you have to buy it, take it home to try it out, and if not suitable, return it! So think about it: It's you versus the flat pack with an allen wrench and a sheet of some funny looking pictures. What did you expect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products