Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 05:00 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times

Advertisements

A six-pack of some good micro-brewery beer, something related to the football team he likes - just read he's flying, if he's here long enough, he'll drink the beer, otherwise: sports team related item(s), if you know his taste (sounds like you don't) - he might like a scarf, hat, NICE gloves (not the dollar store crap that is in another thread, LOL),

Last edited by Flamingo13; 11-28-2012 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 06:41 PM

251 posts, read 933,934 times
He definitely has an XBox, ha ha! Maybe a game for that and a growler of local beer?

Old 11-28-2012, 08:07 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Do you happen to know if he drinks bottled beer? If so, the Alessi pop-up bottle opener is sure to be an interesting conversation piece and practical. Newegg.com - Alessi POP-UP Bottle Opener

If you know what sort of phone he uses, you could get the Secret Agent Phone Holster from Think Geek and some accessory, like an extra battery pack for the keychain from Mophie.

ThinkGeek :: Secret Agent Phone Holster

mophie - iPhone 4S Battery Cases, iPhone 4 Battery Cases, iPhone 3GS Battery Cases, iPhone 3G Battery Cases, and iPod touch battery cases, chargers and more.

Of course, if you wanted to be practical, you could always get him a tie, as that's something he could likely use, though if you don't know him well, it could be a difficult purchase be it size, pattern, or color. You could also consider an RFID blocking wallet or passport case to help prevent identity theft, but that, too, is sort of a boring default present.

What about beer mugs from his favorite sports team?

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-28-2012, 09:46 PM

38 posts, read 61,620 times
I am probably be different than your brother in law but im 20 years old and I wouldnt want anything above that people mentioned haha... not trying to be mean.

I mean if I got soup, I would be like ... ehhhh
you gotta get him something exciting! I can tell you what he probably wont like but I cant tell you what he will like.

once again, not trying to be mean because my post does sound very offensive =(

Old 11-28-2012, 10:38 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,228,154 times
A gift certificate for iTunes (if he has an iPhone or iPod), or music.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:01 AM

251 posts, read 933,934 times
Thanks Great chase-would love to get him something he really enjoys! So what would you buy with $50? Or what would you love to get?

Old 11-29-2012, 06:28 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Headphones/earbuds.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:08 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Do you know if he likes photography? If he does, you could get him something to do with lomography as the cameras (film) are not expensive and are designed to produce experimental type photos. In NYC, there are plenty of places to take such pictures. Check B&H or Adorama for cameras of that type. Some of the results produced are very interesting, especially when shooting cityscapes and even people. But, if he's not into photography, it probably would not get used. Although it's a cool thing to consider, especially if he likes anything retro, even if not a photographic aficionado.

Whatever you do, don't end up being the SIL who gives the strange gifts. I have one who has done that to me in the past, giving me a tear-off cube calendar, pewter mugs that affected the taste of anything poured into the (probably lead glaze to poison me), gift certificates to the grocery store complete with the grocery store's own card, a gas station gift card, and other bizarre things, like cookbooks, that had about ten seconds of thought put into them, under the guise of practicality. And, it was always obscure places that I never patronize with the gift cards. Thankfully, her children are now old enough to tell her and my brother differently so it's iTunes, Amazon, or Best Buy gift cards.

On the plus side, at least your husband's family draws names and has a limit. It makes it easier than having to do a lot of shopping and everyone ending up with a sweater. However, it's also a lot of pressure to find a cool gift, especially as an in-law.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-29-2012, 11:14 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,556 times
My 21 year grandson wanted tools...since he couldn't take any from home, he has none.

Guys always need screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, measuring tape,... Menards has been having some really cheap prices on basic tools for the beginning tool collector. I know that some types of tools might be difficult for him to carry on the plane but he can put them in his check luggage. Or, included in the gift could be the offer to mail them to him instead of him carrying on the plane. Buy $40.00 of tools and use the rest on postage. ( You can get quite a bit in a medium priority mail box.....or send this one flat rate for $11.35 it's 11 x 8.5 x 5.5)

Old 11-29-2012, 11:17 AM

885 posts, read 1,881,585 times
A stripper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products