U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 10:41 PM

95 posts, read 1,212,669 times

Advertisements

We plan to spend much, much less. We had a BIG Christmas last year and decided to cut back this year. Last year I kept up with how much I spent on gift wrap, bows and ribbons, tissue paper, etc., and it was astronomical. All of that kind of stuff adds up fast and I am always tempted with pretty wrappings and ribbons. This year I decided to have all of my shopping done before Thanksgiving and not allow myself to go into any retail stores after that time to keep myself from buying "just one more thing". We are mostly giving those Visa gift cards this year so that everyone (especially the teenagers) can shop anywhere they like after Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 02:17 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,245,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berries View Post
Do you plan to spend less than last year. I do and no Mattel or plastic china junk for the kids
Since I ditched the ex and his greedy family and two grandparents died, I'll be spending less because I have fewer people to shop for. Or maybe I'll just spend what I'd have spent on my ex's family and my grandparents on my surviving relatives. Then again I have a new BF and he has two young daughters, so....hmmm.

I dunno. Probably will spend about the same.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:07 PM

859 posts, read 3,084,505 times
I really don't have a lot of people to buy for.

I usually spend around $100 each on my mom, dad and brother.

If I am in a serious relationship I usually spend $200 on the person (I am single and pretty much just dating right now, so I probably will have to spend nothing or just a little)

If we go visit extended family, we usually just give one gift per person from ourhouse hold.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:30 PM

18,288 posts, read 20,815,183 times
I downsized a couple of years ago and it was a freeing feeling really. My DS 17 will be getting gas cards and gift cards mostly. He likes to shop after Christmas so he can get more for his money. My DD 12, is tougher this year but she will be getting jeans for sure.

Use to spend $500 on each one but that is going to be down to $150-$200 since they are the only ones I buy for.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:01 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,957,107 times
We don't spend a lot anyhow, but we moved in September and cannot get a lot of time off to go back and visit family at Christmas. (Nor do we have the money).

They will have to deal with lack of presents. (I don't care if we don't get anything either from them).

I don't believe in going into debt to 'please others' or for bragging.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:07 PM

1,063 posts, read 2,740,840 times
As a Grandmother, i can never choose the right clothes, so now I do a game and a gift card in a store that is ONLY for clothes for the grandchildren. I also get an ornament for each grandchild until they are 18. I amthe type where they have to use their brain with a game, as they get other things from the other family members. I remember getting sox and underware from my grandparents, and I guess I want to carry on the basics...

Old 10-26-2007, 10:55 PM

896 posts, read 3,950,854 times
My husband mentioned that the countdown was beginning and I told him that I'm already dreading Xmas. We usually don't put a $ amount on what we spend but pick a 4 gift limit per child (we have 4). We've been trying to downsize every year. Last year, my husband and I didn't exchange gifts or fill our stockings (my kids were upset and felt that Santa dissed us) so this year I want to at least do stockings. My problem is that I start with the best of intentions, purchase wisely, forget what I got and then stress shop and buy frivolous things the last two weeks. On Xmas Eve, I go through everything and figure out what I'm actually going to give them. Bah Humbug.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:34 AM

15,434 posts, read 27,909,749 times
Now that my kids are older the things that they want are big ticket. I miss the Christmas mornings when the kids were small and they were so cute opening so many presents and the look of joy on their little faces.

I collect presents throughout the year for people in my life that aren't my picky teens. I am a bargain shopper and also love very unique items. My husband loves the outdoors and wildlife and likes to eat nuts I recently came across a vintage wrought iron squirrel nutcracker. The squirrel was sitting on a leafe (where you place the nuts) and you press the squirrel's tail up, place the nut in the squirrels mouth, push the tail down to crack the nut. Hilarious!!! The thing weighs about 10 pounds and we are going to have a ton of laughs out of that one. It cost $8.

I also buy my wrapping paper, etc. on clearance after Christmas and store to use the following year.

I didn't do stockings year before last for my kids and boy did Santa get in trouble! Filled stockings returned last year and peace was restored at our house

Old 10-27-2007, 04:49 PM

4,270 posts, read 14,073,437 times
Wow, I saw a report on the news a while back ago about spending estimates during the Holiday season this year and "experts" think it's going to be a tough year, which is a good (or bad?) sign of a recession to come or something-a-ruther (I can't remember the whole story). According to this post, it ain't looking good. Sigh.

We actually plan on being generous with family this year and frugal on ourselves. At least I know I will be frugal on myself. Hubby on the other hand might be a different story! I swear he acts like a 10 year old child when it comes to Christmas. We are doing better than some of our family members and would like to give back to those we love and matter most to us. The only thing we are saving for is a house. No vacations planned because Hubby's work is taking up too much time and I am in school. Plus, we actually plan on spending time with family this year when in the past, it has only been hubby and myself.

The most important thing is being with family. It will be a treat to see their smiles and laughter. I miss that.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:09 AM

2,775 posts, read 2,948,358 times
Will definitely work to spend very little this year for the holidays. The economy is obviously slowing down plus my wife and I have a new business venture to support. In combination also with it being way too commercialized of a holiday, most plastic items made in china being suspect for lead, and the realization that toys or material things do not equate to happiness, it just makes sense to be conservative spending-wise.

Looking at the economic data out today, my inclination is to believe that most people will spend less this year because of similar reasons. It's speculation but I would bet that we'll hear more about this when Wal-Mart and its peers report holiday spending patterns in the upcoming months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products