U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 02:42 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,118,504 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to get this off my chest. So many times you see employees at grocery stores out front smoking which the smoke itself bothers me when I'm walking in, and the fair majority of them still have their aprons on which should be removed prior to walking outside. I recently saw an employee with their apron on walk right back inside after smoking and without washing his hands walk right behind the deli counter and start slicing meat. YUCK

Same goes for restaurant employees who either hang out front or in the back of the restaurant with the door open so you can see them. Whether they wash their hands or not remains to be seen but in my mind I always figure that they don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 01:05 PM

565 posts, read 1,128,624 times
Huge pet peeve of mine too, but I will go one better.

I saw an employee at a big box retail store-you know, the one that is putting fresh grocery in all their stores-come out of a restroom stall while I was washing up, and he didn't bother to wash his hands. I follow him out and he goes right to the produce section and starts rearranging and straightening the food!!

Old 01-03-2013, 02:08 AM

40,087 posts, read 49,019,930 times
Awhile back we were in a restaurant and when I was in the men's room the cook was using the urinal and when he was finished he just walked out without washing and I mentioned that to him and he just smiled and went back to the kitchen. So we got up and left and on the way out told the manager. What ever happened after that I don't know and will never return there again.
In our area by law smokers must be at least 25 feet outside any entrance door.
If I'm in any establishment and smell smoke emitting off any employee I immediately leave. Cigarette and cigar smoke sends me into convulsions. I'm super allergic to it.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:57 AM

24,354 posts, read 33,609,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Awhile back we were in a restaurant and when I was in the men's room the cook was using the urinal and when he was finished he just walked out without washing and I mentioned that to him and he just smiled and went back to the kitchen. So we got up and left and on the way out told the manager. What ever happened after that I don't know and will never return there again.
In our area by law smokers must be at least 25 feet outside any entrance door.
If I'm in any establishment and smell smoke emitting off any employee I immediately leave. Cigarette and cigar smoke sends me into convulsions. I'm super allergic to it.
There's no such thing as a cigarette smoke allergy. The symptoms people describe are caused by respiratory tract irritation and, if you're close enough to the smoke, eye irritation. It can also trigger asthma attacks but again, that's not an allergy.

There is such a thing as an allergy to tobacco leaves but you pretty much have to be in direct contact with the leaves. As in TOUCHING them. If you had an allergy to tobacco leaves set off by smelling cigarette smoke, you'd be a tiny minority within a tiny minority. Not very likely.

Look up multiple chemical sensitivity and vasomotor rhinitis.

You may not like smoke and it's not good for you to constantly inhale, but don't exaggerate and say you have an 'allergy'.

I have a shellfish allergy and a wasp allergy. They don't send me into 'convulsions'. They make me break out in hives before my throat closes up and I potentially choke to death. A piece of shrimp the size of my pinky nail sent me to the emergency room. THAT is a serious allergy.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:14 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,470,267 times
Quote:
. I'm super allergic to it.
How did your allergist test for that?

Old 01-06-2013, 07:12 AM

117 posts, read 157,966 times
I dislike smokers in general so I wouldn't put them down as a pet peeve. The only thing I can think about that really drives me bananas at the grocery is when there is an extreme attractive grocery person/s wearing needlessly tight pants. I mean, why does so much attention need to be drawn to the butt? It's like the workers (men and women) are specifically picking out tight clothes. It's like the younger the worker the tighter the pants!

yeah... it's a strange pet peeve as it isn't really unpleasant half the time and doesn't impact my shopping experience at all, but it just kind of irks me...

Old 01-06-2013, 03:20 PM

18,718 posts, read 24,109,451 times
smoking areas should never be at the front of a store=foolish

also, the not washing hands, sounds like a seinfeld show,
Seinfeld - Eating and Kitchen etiquette - YouTube
go to 3.35 in the video

this is just gross....

my pet peeve in grocery stores are customers that think they are the only ones in the store, with there carriage,,,leaving it in the middle of the aisle, also,,, when parents let there kids run wild, also,,,people that eat grapes and fresh fruits while they are shopping and leave whats left on a shelf...
also,,,when someone lets a carriage run into other cars in the parking lot...

restaurants,... waiting too long, for food, or the check,,,
also, being charged 3.00 for a small glass of diet soda and its mostly ice,
and,,hair in the food, or overcooked meats...

Old 01-07-2013, 04:41 PM

40,087 posts, read 49,019,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
There's no such thing as a cigarette smoke allergy. The symptoms people describe are caused by respiratory tract irritation and, if you're close enough to the smoke, eye irritation. It can also trigger asthma attacks but again, that's not an allergy.

There is such a thing as an allergy to tobacco leaves but you pretty much have to be in direct contact with the leaves. As in TOUCHING them. If you had an allergy to tobacco leaves set off by smelling cigarette smoke, you'd be a tiny minority within a tiny minority. Not very likely.

Look up multiple chemical sensitivity and vasomotor rhinitis.

You may not like smoke and it's not good for you to constantly inhale, but don't exaggerate and say you have an 'allergy'.

I have a shellfish allergy and a wasp allergy. They don't send me into 'convulsions'. They make me break out in hives before my throat closes up and I potentially choke to death. A piece of shrimp the size of my pinky nail sent me to the emergency room. THAT is a serious allergy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
How did your allergist test for that?
FYI the doctor and the allergist both said and I qoute: "that cigarette smoke getting into your nose can trigger an allergenic reaction by irritating your sinuses".
Maybe you look at it differenty, a matter of semantics, but I'll go by what the doctors say.

http://allergies.emedtv.com/cigarett...e-allergy.html

Old 01-07-2013, 04:52 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,470,267 times
Quote:
FYI the doctor and the allergist both said and I qoute: "that cigarette smoke getting into your nose can trigger an allergenic reaction by irritating your sinuses".
Maybe you look at it differenty, a matter of semantics, but I'll go by what the doctors say.
So you did not get tested?
I am only asking as I know someone who wants to get tested...

And yes, I do look at it differently. 'Irritating the sinuses' is not like the actual allergic reactions I experience. I would LOVE to just have some irritation.
I am happy for you that that's all you get....

Old 01-07-2013, 06:23 PM

24,354 posts, read 33,609,405 times
Quote:

Cigarette Smoke Allergy
I'm not a doctor, but that's absurd. I'll run that by a couple of doctors I know; I suspect they will say the same thing.

Just as doctors are prone to prescribe antibiotics for viruses just to shut their high-maintenance patients up, a doctor will sometimes tell you that you have an allergy when you don't because it would take too long to explain to you why it ISN'T an allergy. Food for thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products