Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,910 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Any ideas? suggestions? opinions?
I am a crafty kind of girl. I really want an island, but not for the purpose of just a table in the kitchen. For me, we have a living room and dining room in one and it is about 20x26 and we currently have a long dining room table but we hardly ever use it. I feel like we are wasting real estate space and we reside in an apartment and are pressed for space. I would like to have an island to fulfill storage issues as well as have a high bar for eating and doing crafts, crafts more importantly

I cannot afford to buy a fancy granite counter and have it custom made. I priced granite at the cheapest $1500, samsonite about the same and laminate about $900. The base cabinets do not seem expensive but do not have the dimensions I need.

I thought about just making it myself, I always hear people say how hard it it to make cabinets...how hard is it?
My vision is 36"Dx 96"Lx 42"H.

The problems are..
1] the base cabinets are 30-34.5 inches height and bar height is about 42".
2} the counters are VERY expensive!
3}the weight of the counters with an overhang of about 12" might weigh down the cabinets. {I cannot band the cabinets with the floor, as it is concrete and very hard to drill into}
I have some ideas but would appreciate any guidance. I have dove into watching how to videos, but they are not very specific, they skip around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 01:23 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,193,001 times
You could try an Ikea product and modify it. You should try the Home thread for more ideas, get the Mods to move the thread there.
Mt. Carmel Flip: Kitchen Before and After | Fresh Digs
Ikea island = $379 (Home Emporium)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products