U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 05:58 PM

41,449 posts, read 40,939,947 times

Advertisements

Every day you hear ads or claims by some product manufacturer about how great this is or how great that service may be.

For the most part things don't really wow me, I mean, there are good products that do the job, don't get me wrong, I was just talking about things that really stick out in your mind.

For me, there are a couple three things that come to mind.

Netflix. I really like their service and haven't had many complaints at all. Yeah, I know they had that fiasco a while back with their pricing structure changes, but it didn't bother me. I use the heck out of their service and feel like I've gotten a lot of bang for my entertainment buck.

New Feet arch supports. I can sometimes spend a lot of time on my feet as part of my job. My feet used to ache and hurt ALL the time.. I used to really be dying. I got my arch supports and man, I feel way way better. Don't get me wrong, if I'm on my feet all day I still feet it somewhat, but it has been a night and day improvement, worth every penny.

Ally online banking. I used to bank with Chase and I absolutely hated them they irked me to no end, I hated everything thing about that crappy bank. The only reason why I was their customer was when Washington Mutual went out of business, Chase took over. I told them to take a flying leap and have really been satisfied with Ally bank. They done a great job and have never had any complaints. I had my credit card with them compromised and they handled it well, never gave me any grief and sent me out a new card in a day or two....... they way you're supposed to do....

So, does anyone have any products or services that stick out in your mind as being exceptional???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 07:46 AM

21,564 posts, read 24,714,553 times
A Microwave Oven.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:22 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,484,419 times
LOL! Our microwave is barely used!
Now the hot water dispenser... that's a kitchen thing we will never do without!

The computer has made a difference in my life... as has the internet.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:34 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,319,739 times
My DVR - I hardly ever watch anything "live" anymore. I just tape it and fast forward through all the commercials. Also it automatically records my favorite programs.

My computer and the internet- I do some complicated volunteer work and don't know how I'd manage without my computer. Plus it's an instant encyclopedia for anything you'd ever want to know. And online banking. Haven't written a check in years.

Microwave oven - yes. Defrosting and re-heating.

Remote controlled battery operated wax candles. Saves me a fortune in real candles and they really look like the real thing. Makes winter evenings so cozy.

My library - I can put books on hold, renew, keep lists of future books to read - all online. And they have a huge selection of DVD's.

So yes, I'm totally screwed if the Chinese manage to bring down our power grids. Except for the candles.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:31 AM

18,625 posts, read 55,556,538 times
'lil old single cup Black and Decker coffee maker. -just keeps on perkin
toaster from the 1970s - elegant in simplicity
my recently retiring series 1 tivo - entertainment on my terms
window AC units - dollar for dollar, best way of remaining sane in insane heat

Thinking about it, there is a theme to products that I really like.
1. They are elegantly simple in design and function
2. They have a great simple safe intuitive interface with human users
3. They last long enough to be completely amortized.
4. They are 99.9% reliable.
5. They make life easier or more comfortable.

I find it utterly amazing how much manufacturers and designers will do to screw things up and thwart people, and how much people allow that without giving feedback. Examples:

1. Almost every electronic appliance that requires wiring has BLACK plastic with BLACK raised lettering to show where the connections go. OK, other than putting mousetraps in front of the connectors, can ANYONE think of a more stupid design?

2. Minimal keypad interfaces. "To access our simple features on your new whiz-bang phone, press '10483286582104574395'!"

3. Lack of human product support. "To access our simple automated support features from AT&T, press '10483286582104574395'!" The logic tree of some of the automated phone systems are insane and tedious. Questions that could be answered by a human in on second take seventeen minutes.

4. Lack of repair parts, especially on expensive items. The rubber bands used in turntables and tape players used to be a major issue.

5. Short product life in the marketplace. Anyone want to make a bet on how long "Blu-rays" will be made? Speaking of which...

6. Lies by marketers of products. VHS IS more reliable and archival than a DVD, and a DVD is more reliable and archival than Blu-ray, marketing claims to the contrary.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:04 AM

20,557 posts, read 20,560,528 times
The little Mantis rototiller.
This little machine is just great and unbelievably powerful !

Old 03-08-2013, 12:33 PM

9,198 posts, read 22,182,260 times
My Roku player. Watching less and less network or cable TV.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:55 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,052,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
A Microwave Oven.
^^^Hands down...this!!! and then the cell phone.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:11 PM

41,449 posts, read 40,939,947 times
Some good things here... I totally forgot to add PC's and the Internet. The Roku players is great, use it with the Netflix service....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products