Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 07:57 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,373,894 times

Advertisements

Self-checkout has been here for over a decade. I prefer them if I have a few items and there are few to no people using them (or abusing them by scanning a cart full of items.)

These days I use a Scan-It app on my phone and bag my groceries as I shop, so I just have to scan out at the self-checkout and pay. It's awesome, especially being that I'm on borrowed time with 3 little ones!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 08:04 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,817,031 times
This lets them get us used to checking out by ourselves, right now the store doesn't have to pay for checkers to man them. I have used them some, like if I have less than 5 items but I will not use them for my weekly grocery load. I just spent my time to walk all over their store looking for products I need which seem to move locations weekly, and now they want me to check out myself too?
Almost all the times I have had problems with the checkout and needed the assistant to come figure it out, and yes I do know how to self check out.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:44 AM

41,840 posts, read 74,899,969 times
If I just have a few items -- and no produce -- I'll use them. Otherwise, I make the cashier work.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:40 AM

24 posts, read 31,192 times
Our self check outs started appearing - that *I* can remember, LOL- within the last maybe 10 years. I use them if I have a few items, but not for a cart full of groceries. I HAVE used them for an almost cart full when there have been all self check-out lanes open and only 1-2 with actual cashiers that had really long lines.

But I also make sure to use the proper lane. I won't go to 12 items or less lanes if I have lots of groceries.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:16 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,176,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabLife&LiveIt View Post
But I also make sure to use the proper lane. I won't go to 12 items or less lanes if I have lots of groceries.
I remember back in the day, cashiers would actually tell you "Hey, you have too many items for this lane" when you tried to get into the express lane with too much stuff.

I admit that I sometimes use the self-checkout with a cart full of groceries even though the sign says "12 items or less". I do this when the store is not busy and there is nobody waiting to use it. I'm fast and I can scan and bag a cart full of groceries faster than a lot of people can scan/bag 10-12 items. If the store has even a hint of being busy, I don't use the lane. Usually on Friday evenings it's dead, dead, dead.

Why do I do this?

Glad you asked!

My local supermarket uses...erm..."special people" to bag groceries. I don't like the way they do it, and I don't like the way the cashiers violently manhandle my groceries in the interest of a "fast" checkout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products