U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 08:16 PM

134 posts, read 242,425 times

Advertisements

I purchased something from Europe (I'm USA-based) in late February. I was given a tracking number and the following notices from their respective Post office website:

Sweden:
3/2/2013 6:47 AM - Stockholm utr - The item has been dispatched from PostenĀ“s international terminal for onward transport abroad

USA:
First-Class Package International Service - Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

I contacted USPS and they say they don't know since they didn't receive anything.

Any ideas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 10:31 PM

9,758 posts, read 12,740,582 times
Could be UPS, FedEx or DHL. Just because it’s listed as a "First Class" item, does not always mean a USPS delivery method.

Contact the shipper and ask them directly how it was being shipped within the USA portion.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Could be UPS, FedEx or DHL. Just because it’s listed as a "First Class" item, does not always mean a USPS delivery method.

Contact the shipper and ask them directly how it was being shipped within the USA portion.

It's a USPS tracking number. Whenever this type of shipment is shipped to USA, it turns over to USPS.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:03 PM

If it is destined to be handled by the USPS within the USA and they said they don’t have it yet, they don’t have it. You still need to go back to the shipper and have them deal with it from their end.

One question, you said you have a USPS tracking number, what is displayed when you enter that number on USPS.com?

Old 04-17-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
If it is destined to be handled by the USPS within the USA and they said they don’t have it yet, they don’t have it. You still need to go back to the shipper and have them deal with it from their end.

One question, you said you have a USPS tracking number, what is displayed when you enter that number on USPS.com?
It says, "origin post preparing shipment".

I'm not entirely convinced they don't have it since by reading on the web that often times the tracking is very slow to update or never updates until it's actually delivered. But I have absolutely no idea where it is. According to both postal sites, it's still on the plane over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Old 04-17-2013, 11:41 PM

O.K., so the "original post preparing shipment" is on the USPS site, not the foreign postal service site? If that’s correct, it usually means that the USPS has been notified that the package is being transferred to them, but it’s still in transit from their country to the USA or it arrived but is still in US Customs hands.

If you have received shipments from that same vendor, just trackback to other shipments and get a sense of the timeline for delivery. If it has exceeded prior averages, something may be holding it up with Customs, or it's still in transit from their country to the USA, or, it's partying with all the socks from the dryer.

As a FYI, the USPS lag is normally only until it reaches the next tracking station. So if they did miss logging it in at the incoming international USPS sort center, it would show up when it goes through the one of the electronic scanning to be route out of the facility. However, its possible something is screwing up the scanning so it may not show up until someone (usually at your local post office) manually enters the information and suddenly it appear that day as “Out for Delivery” from your local post office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products