U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 03:26 PM

12,525 posts, read 8,811,517 times

Advertisements

I just read another post here about a woman who thought she was being profiled as a shoplifter and that reminded me of a story I had.
A few years back I stopped by a store that sold alcohol. I had been away working all week and I was beat tired and wearing my big winter boots. I walked in the store and nearly tripped on their slush rug that had a big kink in it. I walked quickly up and down the aisles looking for a particular bottle, couldn't find it so I asked one of the girls working there who pointed to the aisle it was on. I also found a bottle of rum on sale and grabbed that too. I then went to stand in line and the girl who had pointed me in the right direction said she would take care of me at her register. I went over to her and she said she couldn't sell me the booze. I asked her why? and she said she felt that I had already been drinking and was drunk?? Well my face turned red, I was so embarrased and kinda shocked then she told me to leave. I was stunned and was really embarrased in front of all the people that were waiting in line.
I haven't been back to that store and think about that night every time I go by it. I'd like to throw a rock through their window for embarrasing me the way they did.
If they really thought I was drunk why did they let me get back in my JeeP on a snowy night and drive away?
What would you have done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 06:29 PM

11,427 posts, read 15,021,100 times
They should have done their best not to embarrass you, but I can tell you from experience that anytime a customer is pulled out of line or refused a sell it almost always involves some degree of awkwardness. It's nearly impossible to do without arousing the curiosity of everyone in line. I do my best to get customers out of line and away from nosy people before I explain why the sell is being refused, but often customers don't cooperate, and then everybody within earshot gets to hear the reason.

About the only thing you can do in a situation like that is to ask to speak to a manger and explain your position calmly. If that doesn't get you the result you want then come back on another day and talk to whoever is higher up on the chain of command.

Here there is only an obligation not to sell alcohol to someone who is drunk, not to report them or to keep them from driving. Seems odd to me, but I don't make the laws.
Penalties for selling are really stiff too, so unfortunately most people are going to err on the side of caution. Better to lose a customer that isn't drunk than to lose your job and face thousands in fines if they are drunk.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:39 AM

18,760 posts, read 55,972,284 times
Just chalk it up to life and move on. If there is a doubt about a customer being drunk or under the influence of anything, the smart clerk takes no chances. It is not uncommon for shills to be sent into liquor stores to check that they don't sell to minors or those under the influence. Be aware that the tough attitude of the clerk might have at some point saved you from being in an accident with someone ELSE who went into the store, attempting to buy while under the influence.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:40 AM

1,961 posts, read 3,836,360 times
Way too much generalization. Plus I don't think you can say something applies to all women or all men.

I saw the link, but to be honest I don't have time to read it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products