Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 09:50 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
They can ask all day long, its up to YOU how much information you give.
I don't. They don't need to know.
Exactly^^^

Sometimes if I have the time I play games with them, give a false name or even ask them are you wanting to take me out Saturday night, or where are we going, my wife will be jealous, etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 10:44 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Your name?
Haywood Jablome
Frank Enfurter

Or you could go the Abbott and Costello route -
Whats your name?
Who.
What?
No, Who.
First name?
Doctor.
And the name of your date?
She's Onfirst.
Table for Who's Onfirst!

Old 05-03-2013, 06:35 AM

90 posts, read 385,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
They can ask all day long, its up to YOU how much information you give.
I don't. They don't need to know.
Same here!

And I really don't appreciate information being shared or sold as alot of these places do.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:52 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
I've never been asked my name or phone number (unless I forgot my discount card - they can look it up with my phone#) but I have frequently been asked for my zip code. I don't mind sharing that as it's innocuous. The zip is pretty much a way for the company to determine how far patrons are traveling to shop.

I did, however, come across a situation in a name department store. My card was very old and apparently I had to get a new one. (I was unaware) I was making a purchase and the clerk told me that she couldn't put it on my card and I would have to apply for a new one. "But I can take your information right here." When she asked for my social security number, I told her I wouldn't give it to her. Picture it - I'm standing at a Customer Service counter with three people waiting to be helped and this little twit wants me to give her my social security number?!? I told her that I would not be renewing my charge account, used an alternate card and don't shop there now.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:15 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Please, the twit wasn't the cashier trying to do her job, the twits are the executives that put these stupid practices in place.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:37 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Yes,,, a little sympathy for the clerks who are put in the position of having to ask for this information.

Most of them don't seem to 'get it'...that they are invading your personal space in the most vulgar way.

So, i take out a paper and pen and ask for their name, home address, and phone number.

THEN, they get the point

Old 05-03-2013, 10:51 AM

382 posts, read 721,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Yes,,, a little sympathy for the clerks who are put in the position of having to ask for this information.

Most of them don't seem to 'get it'...that they are invading your personal space in the most vulgar way.

So, i take out a paper and pen and ask for their name, home address, and phone number.

THEN, they get the point
I've worked in retail, and I also value my privacy. But having been in a cashier position, I would suggest politely declining, with the emphasis on "politely". It's true that some clerks are simply oblivious or obnoxious, but in many cases their performance evaluations are contingent on them trying to collect this information.

I would have happily skipped such nonsense as a cashier, but unfortunately I was required to ask. I can't count how many times people made their displeasure with such corporately-mandated policies known by screaming at me or barking, "Just ring up my order!"

Old 05-03-2013, 12:56 PM

402 posts, read 1,406,393 times
Talking 867-5309

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Lately, when I've been doing my usual shopping and retail stuff, clerks are asking me for my name, address, phone, etc, "to put into the computer" as if it's standard business procedure. I use cash and not credit cards for all my small transactions around town. I've been surprised and caught off guard, as it seems to be a new thing in retail places such as DSW discount shoe warehouse (not really much of a discount), Staples office supply, and chain hair salons like BoRics and Great Clips, to name a few places. Not to mention all those grocery store "loyalty" cards.

Anyway, I don't give it to them, but it's a hassle to always be asked. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't want my personal information stored in computers all over town, for starters. Any coupons I use, I can find online. They are asking for way too much information.....
I smile really wide and I tell them all: Jennifer Craig, 867-5309. But you can call me Jenny.
We usually both get a chuckle out of it. . . . 867 . . . 5. . . 3. . . O. . . 9.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:07 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Time View Post
I smile really wide and I tell them all: Jennifer Craig, 867-5309. But you can call me Jenny.
We usually both get a chuckle out of it. . . . 867 . . . 5. . . 3. . . O. . . 9.
How many clerks are old enough to remember 867-5309?? Or Pennsylvania 6-5000?

I always decline politely, and generally explain why politely. I realize full well the clerk is doing the job they are paid to do, but when a customer explains why they don't wish to share that information in a very public place, or not share that information at all, their job is not to growl at the customer.

I worked with the public for many years and I try to treat everyone with the same respect I want in return. It doesn't always work.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:31 PM

164 posts, read 838,442 times
Great Clips here pretty much insists on a phone number. When I first had my "profile" set up I gave them my area code with 867-"fifty-three-oh-nine" and it didn't register with the employee at all.

I turned around to have a seat and wait, the guy behind me was trying really hard not to laugh......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products