U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 03:54 PM

144 posts, read 768,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
When the retailor takes something back that you have worn or used, they can't by law sell it again as NEW.

I like to shop at TJ Maxx and they take things back even if the tags are off but I don't think they would if it was obvious it had been worn.
And you really think they obey that law? I don't. Not for one second. It would be nice if they did, but, I really doubt they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 11:25 AM

3,589 posts, read 3,245,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuke View Post
I recently returned four pairs of boy's pants to Gymboree. My boy had worn one pair once and we decided they were entirely too big, so we returned that pair and 3 others that were unopened but the same size.

I knew Gymboree's retutns policy wasn't the greatest, but this was within 30 days of purchase and we had the original receipt. I got a call last night from a customer service rep telling me they don't take returns if the tags have been removed. Since 3 pairs of pants were unopened, no problems with those, but they didn't want to accept the ones that had been worn.

I told the lady that other online vendors we use (such as Lands' End, LL Bean, or Hanna), woudn't have any issues with the return. She then said she would make a one-time exception and give me full credit.

This got me wondering... which vendors have the best or worst returns policies?

I would lump Gymbore's policy in with those I don't consider particularly good.
I hate to say it but I think not giving a refund for a pair of pants that has been worn and where the tags have been removed is reasonable and I wouldn't classify that as a "bad" return policy.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:29 PM

786 posts, read 905,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I hate to say it but I think not giving a refund for a pair of pants that has been worn and where the tags have been removed is reasonable and I wouldn't classify that as a "bad" return policy.
Might not have been a bad return policy 30 years ago. But when your competition has adopted 100% satisfaction guaranteed, return anytime, policies, then a policy that won't let your return after washing is a bad policy by comparison. Heck... I returned two pair of pants to Hanna this past weekend. I noticed on the returns form, one of their reasons codes was "it didn't wash well".

Old 11-13-2007, 08:36 PM
KB4

424 posts, read 1,143,797 times
One of the worst I've experienced has to be Loehmann's who only give you a refund if you return an item within 14 days. I bought something that didn't work out and didn't have a chance to return it (unused, tags attached etc.) until day 16 because I was out of town. They only gave me store credit which was useless to me and I never went back.

The best customer service ever has to be Zappos!

IMHO return policies in the US are almost too liberal and some people take advantage of that. In Europe you can't return an item simply because you changed your mind or because your daughter didn't like the color, tags or no tags. Here I see some people returning huge piles of clothes or using an item for months and then returning it.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuke View Post
Might not have been a bad return policy 30 years ago. But when your competition has adopted 100% satisfaction guaranteed, return anytime, policies, then a policy that won't let your return after washing is a bad policy by comparison. Heck... I returned two pair of pants to Hanna this past weekend. I noticed on the returns form, one of their reasons codes was "it didn't wash well".
I guess I just don't shop at the right stores; I've never heard of a store taking back clothing that had been worn with the tags removed, let alone clothing that had been washed.

I keep the tags on an item of clothing until I'm ready to wear it and I keep the receipts too.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:14 AM

6,715 posts, read 12,379,499 times
I bet you money I could take back a pair of used underwear to Wal-Mart.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:49 AM

786 posts, read 905,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I bet you money I could take back a pair of used underwear to Wal-Mart.
Now that you mention it, I thought that underwear I bought at Walmart looked kinda funky.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:38 PM

7 posts, read 22,414 times
Quote:
In my mind, the best retailer on the planet is Zappos.com. Granted they mostly just sell shoes (millions of them) but when you order online, the shoes are at your front door the next day with no shipping cost to you at all and no taxes unless you live in the two states where they are located. If you don't want to keep them, for whatever reason, just email them or call them and they will immediately send you a return label to send them back at no cost to you.
I completely agree. They get a lot of respect from others online for having such a great return policy. I took the following from a site dedicated to the online Return Policy.

"A good return policy builds trust, loyalty, and repeat business. 92% of direct shoppers (catalog and internet) will shop again if returns are convenient, and 82% will not shop again if returns are inconvenient. (Harris Interactive). This may be why Zappos, a Las Vegas online shoe retailer holds a fifth of the online footwear market. They have doubled their sales every year since 1999. According to Business 2.0 Magazine Zappos became the top online footwear retailer by offering a superb return policy. Zappos accepts returns if the customer is not 100% satisfied for up to 365 days, and Zappos will pay for the shipping. Amazon recently created an online store called endless.com offering a very similar return policy."

Old 11-23-2007, 04:42 PM

I've got a store with a crappy return policy; my BF and I were at Circuit City; he was buying one item and I another. I told the cashier to ring up item #1 but NOT item #2 on my card. He rang up both...like an idiot. He didn't seem to speak English very well. I told him to do a return on item #2, but he refused and told me to go to customer service.

I did, and they smugly told me they wouldn't do any returns until after 2pm. Azzholes. I'm going to back tomorrow and return BOTH items, then I'm going to tell them to go eff themselves in the azz. Rude smarmy idiots.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:59 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,995,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I've got a store with a crappy return policy; my BF and I were at Circuit City; he was buying one item and I another. I told the cashier to ring up item #1 but NOT item #2 on my card. He rang up both...like an idiot. He didn't seem to speak English very well. I told him to do a return on item #2, but he refused and told me to go to customer service.

I did, and they smugly told me they wouldn't do any returns until after 2pm. Azzholes. I'm going to back tomorrow and return BOTH items, then I'm going to tell them to go eff themselves in the azz. Rude smarmy idiots.
That's one reason I stopped shopping at circuit city. Others being mail-in rebates, annoying workers, high prices, and just plane idiotic atmosphere.

I would say that KBtoys when it was around here had an annoying return policy. You had to have your drivers license and you could only return so many items a month. It's like wow... No wonder they went out of business around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products