U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 11:27 AM

3,751 posts, read 6,612,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
Penny's drove me nuts last year. I had to return a pair of gloves that dh had purchased for me. He gave me the receipt and off I went.
I had the tags on and the original receipt in my hand. They would only give me a gift card because he bought it on his credit card.
Nice way to get to keep our $$$.
Result? I haven't made a purchase from Penny's since.
Amongst the many reasons I hate JCP...

This is about 10 years ago. The New York Jets had changed their jersey's to what they wear now. I went and bought a Keyshawn Johnson jersey (LOVED IT!!!!).

I wore it once, over a T-Shirt, and washed it. I washed it in cold, by itself. I take it out of the washer, and all of the green had ran into the white.
I take it back, and they exchange it for another one.

I do the exact same thing. Same thing happens, actually, worse! All of the white is green. Now, let me tell you. I was 18 at the time, I had been doing Laundry since I was 10. I knew how to do laundry!

I take it back, and this woman working in CS starts giving me the business. I explain to her that the last one did this and that something may be wrong with this batch. She proceeds to start going on and on about how I probably washed it wrong, and that there is no way that could have happened, etc. I explain to her that I washed it per the label instructions, and that I had washed it by itself, because I was afraid it would ruin everything in the washer. She was starting to tell me that she was not going to give me an exchange.

I asked her point blank if the money for the return was coming out of her pocket. She stared at me blankly...

I looked right at her ( this was probably about noon) and asked her how long she was working that day. She told me the time. I told her that I would stand at her register all day and tell everyone that walked up what they were doing to me. When the first person walked up, I started telling the customer what they were doing. That's all it took, and she gave me an exchange. This time I did not get a Jets jersey!

This is also the store that the security guard accosted me and accused me of stealing the shirt THAT I WORE INTO THE STORE...........

But I digress

I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 12:01 PM

13,111 posts, read 25,210,953 times
Nordstom
LL Bean
Costco
all have excellent return policies, don't know about the worn clothing as I just couldn't unless there was something defective..like zipper giving out after one wearing

Old 11-28-2008, 02:22 AM

321 posts, read 698,801 times
I manage a shoe store and the policy is that you can exchange it or get a store credit on unworn merchandise but NO REFUNDS at all. It's kind of a harsh policy, especially considering that some of the shoes we sell are $200. In my store, we are very consistent in telling everybody the policy verbally before they make their purchase.. Aside from that, it's posted in the store twice and is on their receipt. However, we still catch quite a bit of hell for it..

For the most part, I try to avoid exchanging items that have been worn. In the instances that I do do those exchanges, we do not put the items back out to be sold again.. We have a section for "damaged" merchandise. I didn't quite realize how serious my company was about their return policy until a guy from corporate came and went through my "damage" section and explained to me how most of these shoes I could've sent out to be repaired rather than do an exchange!!!

Old 01-22-2010, 11:21 PM

4,752 posts, read 5,595,447 times
I see quite a few praise Zappos' generous return policy. I guess no wonder the shoes I bought from Zappos were apparently worn and dirty.

I thought stores should have other ways to treat returned used merchandise than selling them to other customers as new.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:16 PM

133 posts, read 377,023 times
Totally agree with the Pennys posters. Never will buy another item at JcPenneys
Also Circuit City was one of the WORST. ever. At least when I lived in NY , they were terrible. I've met quite a few peeps who agreed. Made me a best buy fan for life.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:49 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,116,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Wal-Mart has one of the most lax return policies ever!

You don't need a receipt. You can have the item for however long, but if they still sell it, you can return it.

If you have the receipt, you can get cash if originally paid through debit or cash. If it was credit, it goes back to the card. If it was check, then it's a long process - best to say no receipt for that one!

If you don't have the receipt, they give you a gift card - which could re-buy the product... or get something else entirely!
Wal-mart will even take it if you say the item didn't work as it was supposed too.They also allow you to return site to store itmes at any store.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:10 PM

31 posts, read 20,363 times
Target is terrible!!! Always buy gifts at wal mart if both places have the same item.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:04 PM

24,337 posts, read 33,586,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman14 View Post
Target is terrible!!! Always buy gifts at wal mart if both places have the same item.
I have never had any trouble (so far) returning anything at Target.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:35 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,686,634 times
Why do you want stores to have a lenient return policy?

I don't want stores to get ripped off and then absorb the cost thru higher prices !

Old 01-25-2010, 05:49 PM

34,459 posts, read 43,314,558 times
My wife used to work for a major department store when we first moved to MD. She couldn't believe the number of women who would buy a dress and then bring it back a couple days later obviously worn, sometimes damaged with stains or other damage, and claim it didn't fit and get a refund. This usually happened around Christmas, Valentine's Day, times when there are dress up parties going on. In the Spring, too, weddings.

As to the OP, I don't think the store was unreasonable, the pants had been worn and apparently laundered. Put them aside for a few months and your kid will grow into them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products