U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 10:49 AM

786 posts, read 905,078 times

Advertisements

I recently returned four pairs of boy's pants to Gymboree. My boy had worn one pair once and we decided they were entirely too big, so we returned that pair and 3 others that were unopened but the same size.

I knew Gymboree's retutns policy wasn't the greatest, but this was within 30 days of purchase and we had the original receipt. I got a call last night from a customer service rep telling me they don't take returns if the tags have been removed. Since 3 pairs of pants were unopened, no problems with those, but they didn't want to accept the ones that had been worn.

I told the lady that other online vendors we use (such as Lands' End, LL Bean, or Hanna), woudn't have any issues with the return. She then said she would make a one-time exception and give me full credit.

This got me wondering... which vendors have the best or worst returns policies?

I would lump Gymbore's policy in with those I don't consider particularly good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 10:55 AM

25,107 posts, read 35,555,602 times
Nordstroms - best return policy - best customer service - BAR NONE

Old 11-04-2007, 03:22 PM

8,267 posts, read 18,723,616 times
I am not sure how many places take worn clothing back to tell you the truth.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:58 PM

28,643 posts, read 40,622,302 times
Lowes. Surprised?

Take an item back and hand them your credit card. If the item and a past purchase on the card match, they credit your card. Zip bam boom, done. I always pay with a credit card (airline miles ya know?) so I'm covered.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:59 PM

28,643 posts, read 40,622,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I am not sure how many places take worn clothing back to tell you the truth.
I wouldn't. They shouldn't. As I've seen other posters say: eeeeeewwwwww!!!!!

Old 11-04-2007, 09:19 PM
rfb

1,914 posts, read 5,251,435 times
The best return policies I've ever seen are at REI and LL Bean. At either, if you are every unhappy with a purchase, just return it for a refund or an exchange. It doesn't matter how long you have had the product or whether it is new or used. You can't beat that!

Old 11-04-2007, 09:25 PM

10,739 posts, read 32,120,507 times
When the retailor takes something back that you have worn or used, they can't by law sell it again as NEW.

I like to shop at TJ Maxx and they take things back even if the tags are off but I don't think they would if it was obvious it had been worn.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:04 AM

786 posts, read 905,078 times
Well, it's none of MY concern what the retailer can or cannot do with the merchandise after it is returned. Fact is, more and more retailers - especially online - are adopting 100% satisfaction guaranteed forever, no questions asked, type of returns policies. That is exactly what Hanna, LL Bean and Lands' End have.

And I understand Gymboree has a right to set its own policies. Fine. With vendors that have a more liberal returns policy, I tend to order a lot more stuff... if I am uncertain as to size or color or whatever, I still order it with confidence I can return the goods if I don't like it for whatever reason. With Gymboree, I will have to be much more cautious, and, in the end, it has to result in my ordering less stuff from them since I will now order, for example ONE single pair of pants in a particular size before ordering 4 pairs like the last time. Gymboree also doesn't do exchanges for online orders... again, their perogative, but other vendors will do an exchange and not hit me again for the shipping.

So again, the question I had was... which vendors have the best (or worst) exchange policies. I really don't care what they do with the stuff after it's returned. But I would prefer to buy from vendors that have a liberal return policy.

Thanks for the tip on Nordstrom!

Old 11-05-2007, 10:27 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,710,558 times
Penny's drove me nuts last year. I had to return a pair of gloves that dh had purchased for me. He gave me the receipt and off I went.
I had the tags on and the original receipt in my hand. They would only give me a gift card because he bought it on his credit card.
Nice way to get to keep our $$$.
Result? I haven't made a purchase from Penny's since.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:05 AM

1,610 posts, read 4,430,076 times
In my mind, the best retailer on the planet is Zappos.com. Granted they mostly just sell shoes (millions of them) but when you order online, the shoes are at your front door the next day with no shipping cost to you at all and no taxes unless you live in the two states where they are located. If you don't want to keep them, for whatever reason, just email them or call them and they will immediately send you a return label to send them back at no cost to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products