U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Caa Caa started this thread

936 posts, read 2,234,277 times

Advertisements

Just a vent folks....we live in Baton Rouge and when we moved here years ago, we thought the people were the friendliest we have ever met, very courteous and kind....well all that has changed! We actually moved from south Florida for many reasons, one of which was the people down there were rude and impatient, but that was only one reason. Anyway, when I was a kid, in the late 60's the customer service people always agreed with the customer, apologized for having a customer wait, just very nice and friendly service. Today at a local subway, my husband ordered a sub and at the end of the line said "just vinegar please." WEll the food person started loading up his sub with oil, not vinegar...when my husband said"i am sorry, I just wanted the vinegar" the food lady, in a nasty tone said to him"well you SAID oil and vinegar and did not even try to re make his sub, or aoplogize for anything and my husband, not wanting to make a scene, took it ok and paid for the sub. really people....this is only one incident, I can name many many more. anyway, is this the new trened, or is it just this area that has the nasty people, just a question! It just seems that anywhere we go these days, the cashiers etc do not even nod and say hi, I know darn well that they used to because I remember!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 04:44 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,479,393 times
"what has happened to customer service????"

Sounds like you husband did not want it!
I would have politely said that the sub was not as I ordered. Either they make it right or I walk.

Your husband took it and paid for it... so that is teaching them that whatever they do is okay with him.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:57 PM

21,561 posts, read 24,710,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
... is this the new trend, or is it just this area that has the nasty people, just a question! It just seems that anywhere we go these days, the cashiers etc do not even nod and say hi, I know darn well that they used to because I remember!
For the South its sort of new. In my view it started a little over ten years ago and only seems to be this bad in the densest of counties/cities. Go to the bordering smaller counties and the people are very different. For your area the further you get away from 10 or 12 the nicer people get. In my area, the further I get away from 95 the nicer people get.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,911 posts, read 56,339,514 times
Far too many people working retail and fast food don't want to be there, they were desperate for a job and feel it's beneath them. It's by no means exclusive to your area, but is more common in more populated areas where there were a lot of good jobs but then in 2008-20010 many layoffs.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:08 AM

10,702 posts, read 9,679,703 times
IF a CSR is rude to a customer and mgmt does nothing about it; then I also blame those in charge for enabling lousy service to continue.

When I called a local grocery store and informed the manager that one of the cashiers had been unduly rude during the transaction, his response was that 'there wasn't much he could do about it'. I stated that employees who are not taking their job seriously should either be counseled or replaced. He then stated that if he did that he would run out of employees. LUDICROUS! There are enough unemployed people begging for work to replace ineffective workers. I think that many managers/owners are just to lazy to go through the hiring process to find another person, and/or don't want to deal with bad employees. . . but that is one of the things they're being paid to do.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:55 AM

8,966 posts, read 19,816,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
IF a CSR is rude to a customer and mgmt does nothing about it; then I also blame those in charge for enabling lousy service to continue.

When I called a local grocery store and informed the manager that one of the cashiers had been unduly rude during the transaction, his response was that 'there wasn't much he could do about it'. I stated that employees who are not taking their job seriously should either be counseled or replaced. He then stated that if he did that he would run out of employees. LUDICROUS! There are enough unemployed people begging for work to replace ineffective workers. I think that many managers/owners are just to lazy to go through the hiring process to find another person, and/or don't want to deal with bad employees. . . but that is one of the things they're being paid to do.

You're talking about entry level jobs that a monkey could be trained to do, what do you expect? If you want better customer service, go to a nicer store. As for your manager, he was probably a snot nosed 20 something making less than 30k a year and doesn't care.

Subways around here are all privately owned and the OP should've requested a) new a sandwich or b) the owners name and number. When you hit people in their wallet, their attitudes tend to change.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You're talking about entry level jobs that a monkey could be trained to do, what do you expect? If you want better customer service, go to a nicer store. As for your manager, he was probably a snot nosed 20 something making less than 30k a year and doesn't care.

Subways around here are all privately owned and the OP should've requested a) new a sandwich or b) the owners name and number. When you hit people in their wallet, their attitudes tend to change.
The 'rude' person was a cashier at a local grocery store who was in her 40s (guessing her age) and had worked there many years. The manager was in his 50s (again, guessing his age). I have no idea what the salary range is for either of those positions, however I doubt there were entry level wages. He just didn't want to deal with the situation.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:40 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,479,393 times
LOL! Might be his wife!

Old 06-07-2013, 10:22 AM

3 posts, read 4,165 times
getting back to caa's original comments, i agree with you about the trend in customer service. my adult sons and i talk about it from time to time. my eldest works for UPS and in spite of the horrible management practices - he is always cheerful, upbeat, and goes out of his way to help UPS customers. I believe that part of the issue is how people are brought up. My mother was a working single mother with a strong work ethic which she taught to me and I taught my sons the same thing when they got their first jobs... which is not to say we all don't get grumpy and have off days sometimes. As business managers become younger, I believe that the fact "work ethic" is no longer part of the person's early education shows in how people are treated. One store with marvelous customer service is the Publix market at Brown's Bridge in Cumming. Every time I go in, everyone and I do mean every store employee I pass smiles and says "hello, are you finding everything you need?", "can I help you with anything". I marvel at it and think "This store manager has given his employees the low-down on customer service." I've stopped shopping elsewhere. Enough of my soapbox....

Old 06-07-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
LOL! Might be his wife!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products