Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 12:14 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,917,886 times

Advertisements

My gift-giving with my brothers is evolving into more ephemeral presents, we're all older now. We all like good food and drink.

Has anyone out there ordered/sent a *nice* holiday gift basket?
I'm talking about the sort that might have a good bottle of wine, some tasty foodie items, nicely put together in a pretty container (whether a basket or whatever.)
We ordered one from a supposedly gourmet food company last year and I think my brothers, polite as they were, probably just thought it was okay, not great.

I don't really care for those ones from Figis because I don't like that sort of cheesefood cheese and the sweets they have do not appeal to me at all.
If anyone has a good, trustworthy recommendation, please post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 01:04 PM

522 posts, read 1,582,428 times
Cil...try this site, wine country gift baskets. I received one last year for Christmas and thought it was good.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:11 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,366,745 times
It doesn't have wine that I know of, but I send out a lot of baskets to folks from Harry & David and I always get positive comments back. Their pears are so delicious!

Old 11-11-2007, 06:01 AM

204 posts, read 772,492 times
Agree-Harry & David is my go to-the pears are delicious, as are the truffles.

Being we are so far from family-I send our g-kids Halloween, Valentine, Easter Towers and for Christmas the pears to my mother.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:24 AM

Thanks y'all!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:11 AM

324 posts, read 879,172 times
Are they also into cooking? Maybe they would like these celebrity chef gift baskets I saw on 1-800-Flowers.com from chefs like Paula Deen and Barefoot Contessa. I completely understand your situation though, each year it gets harder and harder to buy for my sisters and other people who seem to have everything. Gift baskets seem like a great alternative!

Old 11-14-2007, 05:42 AM

204 posts, read 772,492 times
There were years we made up our own baskets-think of a theme-cooking,wine,etc. My go to gift for a wedding shower is to go to a Waterford outlet and get 2 beautiful futes, put them in a basket with wine or champagne, candles, various size frames from discount stores-use imagination maybe silk boxers and a teddie. Always got rave reviews of those.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:05 AM

Thanks guys.
Yes, when I was living in the same state, making up my own basket was easy and fun. I don't know about it now, though. Guess I could ship my pumpkin chocolate chip bread just fine.
Just have to pack carefully, I suppose.
Those Celebrity Chef baskets look great--except for the price.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:21 AM

324 posts, read 879,172 times
Judogl44- I love your idea for the wedding shower basket! I am definitely going to keep that one in my back pocket for the next wedding shower I have (which will be soon since one of my best friends just got engaged in COSTA RICA!!).

Cil- My co-worker actually shared a discount code for $10 off an 1-800-Flowers order. The code is: all2u. Perhaps that might help. I love this time of year when all of the "friends and family" discounts get passed around.

I'm really excited about these gift basket ideas! I'm full of ideas for the people on my list now!

Old 12-06-2014, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 7,474 times
For real Wisconsin cheddar cheese you could try WisconsinCheeseGiftBaskets.com...we got one from them and it came in handy for entertaining company over the holidays. Good food...better than Hickory Farms....Being from Oregon we are pretty into Tillamook Cheese...they don't sell online from the cheese factory anymore but all the nw gift basket companies usually have a basket or two with Tillamook cheese in them...Try OregonMaiden.com...their shipping prices are also low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products