U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 09:22 PM

665 posts, read 855,566 times

Advertisements

I know 2 people obsessed with their top of the line appliances, all which they can't even afford to pay outright so they take out cc's from best buy and other electronic stores. I could care less how much something costs, just as long as it does the job. I've used my g'mas old stone age top load washing machine for ages, my clothes come out clean. I also bathe daily so it's not like filthy clothes are going in. I tried a super duper high efficiency 45 minute washing machine and had to wash 3 items 3 times to get out some stains. They weren't set in stains either and were pre-treated. Could be perhaps that I used their cheap laundry detergent instead of All which I usually use.

So, do you think these high efficiency machines clean any better then an old top load 20 minute washer? I don't..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 11:02 AM

24,354 posts, read 33,604,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
I know 2 people obsessed with their top of the line appliances, all which they can't even afford to pay outright so they take out cc's from best buy and other electronic stores. I could care less how much something costs, just as long as it does the job. I've used my g'mas old stone age top load washing machine for ages, my clothes come out clean. I also bathe daily so it's not like filthy clothes are going in. I tried a super duper high efficiency 45 minute washing machine and had to wash 3 items 3 times to get out some stains. They weren't set in stains either and were pre-treated. Could be perhaps that I used their cheap laundry detergent instead of All which I usually use.

So, do you think these high efficiency machines clean any better then an old top load 20 minute washer? I don't..
I have a top loader that I bought from a scratch and dent outlet. It's about as basic and bottom of the line as a washing machine gets, but it gets my clothes clean.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:03 AM

26,345 posts, read 83,950,150 times
Quote:

I agree. Just buy a simple inexpensive washer and dryer big enough to meet your needs. It's cheaper to buy a new set ever 8 years or so than to buy a high end model.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:54 PM

9,198 posts, read 22,175,628 times
Have you factored in the reduced costs from: Lower water usage, lower water heating costs, lower detergent costs, reduced energy costs from shortened drying times, and added longevity from less wear to clothing?

Old 06-28-2013, 01:11 PM

5,035 posts, read 14,679,517 times
I don't care how efficient any appliance is if I have to replace it more often because its motherboard goes out. New technology may provide more bells & whistles, but no noises will be made when its internal computer dies.
Quote:
…all those bells and whistles. Modern appliances have gone digital with electronic motherboards and LED screens, and features like moisture sensors and energy-efficient cycles. They do more, but also have a lot more that can go wrong.
source

I dread having to buy new appliances.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:50 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,465,154 times
Quote:
They at the very least clean just as well... plus they use less water, less detergent, less electricity. They wring the clothes so that drying is quicker. The lack of an agitator makes clothes last longer.

My front loader is over a decade old and has paid for itself many times over!

Old 06-28-2013, 01:52 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,465,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I don't care how efficient any appliance is if I have to replace it more often because its motherboard goes out.
You would just replace the motherboard (for free under warranty as electronics usually fail early if they fail at all), not the whole machine.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:24 PM

26,345 posts, read 83,950,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Have you factored in the reduced costs from: Lower water usage, lower water heating costs, lower detergent costs, reduced energy costs from shortened drying times, and added longevity from less wear to clothing?

These costs are in the noise compared to the significantly higher cost of the units themselves. You'd be spending $700 to save $69.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:07 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,140,335 times
Quote:

Op seems very into others business and disturbed by it. Seems bothered others spend money or get discount by opening a CC. Its also evident Op hasn't a clue as to how new HE machines clean just seems to want to rant.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:23 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,140,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
These costs are in the noise compared to the significantly higher cost of the units themselves. You'd be spending $700 to save $69.
our top loader HE machine cost 425 on sale similar to a equal standard machine with less wash cycles.Hardly any maker makes anything but their cheapest models in standard machines now. Just looking at my water bill shows I'll save twice that 69 dollars. in just a few months. So many concerned about what others buy and like to rant on something they have never used and certainly the Ops post shows not a clue at how to use or how HE machines clean. I'd say ours clean like older machine with detergent before they removed phosphates as law required and certainly removes stains much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products