Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 09:57 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,347,440 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm just here to rant ... I have an 8-year-old pair of Clarks sandals -- that venerable "Sunbeat" style with the three-buckle straps. I had foot surgery 3 months ago and that foot is still swollen and I'm not able to wear my normal shoes yet. I don't want to spend the entire summer in the black suede sneakers I am currently wearing. (Two sizes larger than my normal, for now.)

So I ordered the Sunbeat in bronze - thinking it would be a nice neutral shade. I got the pair - and saw that they are now made in China. My older pair are stamped 'made in england." I'm assuming the entire company's product line is now made there and I have no chance of getting an English-made pair. The bronze also looks "cheap" - like synthetic.

Why do I bring this up? Because I compared the new sandal to the old and it's quite different. The leather is just not as supple -- and it is absolutely SHORTER on each strap than the old one! Even allowing for stretching, one strap is a full inch shorter than the old sandal. This was important because I needed to go to the last buckle hole to fit over the swelling.

I'm so disappointed. They will be going back. Any suggestions on another brand with a similar product???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,380 times
The last time I bought clarks I purchased four pairs, and those four pairs tore apart like some cheap knock-off.
Now I know Clarks, the shoes I can wear in the work shop, step in them like sandals, brush them off and able to wear them anywhere, the inside would wear out before the sole or the leather would show any sign of degrading. My clarks usually go from dress, to casual then to work. Not the shoes they make now. The four pair I was speaking about that I recently purchased, they tore up so fast I was left having to pull out some work boots to dress up. I started looking, and low and behold inside the tongue of the shoe it said made in Viet-nam!.. Clarks I said how can these companies use the Clarks name like this, surely the clarks company must be seeing these knock-off and will do something about it. No sir, clarks have sold out like the rest of the profit mongers, left my foot hanging out. I was in the middle of the Customs department and crossed my legs and my shoes was like a frog saying see me ya. ashamed, I had to put my foot down and make a hasty retreat cutting my business trip short.. Clarke you sell out, you can kiss my donkey, I just purchased another three pairs, and shen I lifted the box which felt light as a feather I knew something was wrong again, I looked, made In china, Kiss my donkey clarks I am looking for another cobbler. When you return to UK workmanship, please let me know.. Kiss mu donkey you traitors..

Old 04-17-2014, 05:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,380 times
Default Sell out.

Clarks are now Junk. I have not wore any other shoe than the clark brand fro the last twenty years, have a pair on now, but now I have to keep looking at the toe to make sure it is not doing a frog mouth. I started pulling my old third generation prior out of the closet for a refresh.. Help, where can I get the made in the UK model..

Old 04-17-2014, 06:02 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
They are crap now, used to be worth the money, as stated, they are now made in China and cheap.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:06 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
Not just China… the pair I wore yesterday completely fell apart -- they were made in Brazil.

They started to feel looser, and when I looked down, the soles of both shoes were completely cracked across the ball of my foot, and the tops were separating from the soles. I'm just crushed -- this is the 2nd pair of Clarks that this has happened to, and I've worn Clarks for years!

I've searched the web and found that this is a known problem. Clarks' attitude is like "oh well, that's what happens to ALL shoes with polyurethane soles". If that's the case, I'll go back to buying cheapo shoes that fall apart, not expensive ones!!

Old 05-28-2014, 05:26 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Clarks still charges a premium price for a markedly inferior product. I can no longer find shoes made in England by them, so I don't buy them anymore.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:23 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
Add Bare Traps to the list, they aren't leather anymore but they still want $$ for their sandals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products