U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you going to venture out on Black Friday?
Yes 9 25.71%
No 22 62.86%
I'm still undecided 4 11.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 04:59 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,419,199 times

Advertisements

With Thanksgiving only 2 weeks away, I've been starting to make out my plan of attack for Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving for those not in the know). Anybody else going to be one of the early-bird shoppers trying to snag all these good deals?

It's sort of a tradition for me; every year I've left my house about 4:30 a.m. to try and get all the specials. I always get giddy about 4 days before Black Friday when all the ads start flowing out, my eyes light up like a little child being given some fancy new toy. I really hope they have some good deals on LCD/Plasma tv's, I'm thinking of getting two for each of my spare bedrooms.

Anybody else going to fight the crowds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 06:55 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,703,219 times
I love it!!!
I have a network of friends has a plan.

If I know she's going someplace, I call her and tell her what I want from there and she does the same for me.

I got my cd burner for $10 one year.

Has anyone done the internet early in the morn? I have a Best Buy question.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:07 AM

32,835 posts, read 60,929,453 times
I'm never interested in what the stores are hawking the day after Thanksgiving. Nor am I interested in getting trampled or beaten over the head by rabid shoppers over a computer or pair of jeans.

The day after Christmas is another story. I'm out the door by 6 a.m. to get all the day-after goodies.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:03 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,703,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm never interested in what the stores are hawking the day after Thanksgiving. Nor am I interested in getting trampled or beaten over the head by rabid shoppers over a computer or pair of jeans.

The day after Christmas is another story. I'm out the door by 6 a.m. to get all the day-after goodies.
Sorry I had to laugh....I don't normally do the after Christmas sales, I've found if I wait a week, most will be 75% instead of 50%...anyway that's not the point.....
One year my husband had to work the day after Christmas and I didn't. He forgot his insulin so I ran it out to him.
Since I was out, I figured, what the heck I'll go to the mall and see what's going on.
OMG...you ever seen fish in a pond at feeding time? I walked into the 1st store and it was like a feeding frenzy!!
So I figure I'll stay with my comfort zone on Black Friday.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:13 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,682,425 times
I never venture to the stores or the mall on the day after Thanksgiving. YIKES!!! Now the grocery stores are completely different as they are desserted. No one is hungry I guess. However, last year on the day after Thanksgiving we did break our cardinal rule and we stopped in at the Dillards at the mall by our house. It was not bad at all.

Okay, Black Friday? Did no one else hear that it was moved to this past Friday in order to help w/ sluggish sales? That was all the hype I heard on the radio and tv but there were NOT any sales worthy at all. I was FORCED to go shopping yesterday for Christmas gifts for the office. Hubby was wanting me to start buying stuff a few weeks ago but nothing has been on sale. I still paid almost normal prices yesterday on electronics. You have to watch though. Some stores will have say the personal DVD player for $139 but it is a no-name one but if you watch the other stores you can get a top brand name for the same price. I don't understand that one nor why people buy the one that is a brand that you've never heard of.

Oh, a question for all of you shoppers. I'm thinking of maybe a laptop for dh for Christmas. I know he won't want one that is LARGE as some are HUGE! He travels light so anything too bulky and he won't take. I saw two HP laptops yesterday at Circuit City. Both were in the $900 range. We don't need one w/ MEGA storage but a good one none the less. I don't want some off brand either. What would be a normal price range for these and a good sales price? Any brands to look for and some to avoid? Other than that I'm totally lost on what to get him. The only other thing I thought of was a flat panel tv for the study but I'd use that more

Old 11-08-2007, 03:31 PM

8,191 posts, read 28,387,780 times
I am pretty much done with shopping well before Thanksgiving. The day after I usually spend decorating for Christmas & wrapping gifts.

I start my Christmas shopping on Dec. 26th and as I see the right thing for someone on my list I get it throughout the year.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:44 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,364,284 times
I love, love, love to shop at the end of the year. Great sales. Best bargains ever. I can't wait!

greenie

Old 11-08-2007, 05:43 PM

859 posts, read 1,919,718 times
Black Friday Ads for Black Friday 2007 and Black Friday Deals!

Just found this,,, they have all the stores adds in it....

Old 11-08-2007, 05:58 PM

8,264 posts, read 18,715,719 times
as long as I am hone by noon.............

Old 11-08-2007, 06:21 PM

392 posts, read 1,722,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

Oh, a question for all of you shoppers. I'm thinking of maybe a laptop for dh for Christmas. I know he won't want one that is LARGE as some are HUGE! He travels light so anything too bulky and he won't take. I saw two HP laptops yesterday at Circuit City. Both were in the $900 range. We don't need one w/ MEGA storage but a good one none the less. I don't want some off brand either. What would be a normal price range for these and a good sales price? Any brands to look for and some to avoid? Other than that I'm totally lost on what to get him. The only other thing I thought of was a flat panel tv for the study but I'd use that more
If he travels a lot I would try to find a computer under 5lbs. He could hook up a monitor to it when he is home. It is amazing how much difference a couple of pounds can make when you have to lug it all over. Dell has some Latitudes they market towards business travelers.

As for Black Friday, I shop online, why deal with crowds when everything can come to my door?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products