U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2013, 09:14 AM
 
624 posts, read 917,052 times
Reputation: 200

Advertisements

Hello all,

Have a question that hopefully some of you can answer. Bought a laptop computer from an ebay seller, who had close to 2000 reviews, 99%+ positive. The laptop screen resolution was indicated as HD+ 1600x900 and when I got the item, the resolution was actually HD at 1024x768. Had I known this, I would not have made a purchase because low res screens were widely known to be flawed for this particular manufacturer.

At any rate, the seller asked that I return the item and they would refund my original purchase price but not the return shipping. (Their listing indicated that if the item was DOA or defective, they'd refund the money except for the return shipping).

As a buyer, I feel that errors in the seller's listing sheet are not the same as DOA or defective items, since the seller alone is responsible for making sure their listing info is accurate. Where as in the cases of DOA or defective items, the seller may have no knowledge of any issues. Therefore, I planned to leave a negative feedback, advising other buyers to pay closer attention to this particular seller's items.

Anyways, I return the item and seller demands that I leave them a positive feedback before they refund my money. They clearly indicated that unless I leave a positive feedback, I will not be receiving the refund. I promptly left a negative feedback and escalated the case to ebay support. Ebay sided with me, refunded my money agreeing that it was a feedback extortion (they also mentioned that the seller will be notified of breaking the rules). But... they deleted the neg feedback and sent me a notice that they have done so.

..."We also received the feedback you left for the transaction, but it's been removed from the seller's feedback profile because of a recent decision on the eBay Buyer Protection case..."

Why delete the neg feedback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2013, 10:19 AM
 
Location: On The Road Full Time RVing
2,342 posts, read 2,962,005 times
Reputation: 2225
.
I would say it was because Ebay resolved the problem.

But to know for sure you would have to ask Ebay.
.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2013, 11:20 AM
 
2,157 posts, read 2,750,556 times
Reputation: 2782
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
.
I would say it was because Ebay resolved the problem.

But to know for sure you would have to ask Ebay.
.
Agree with this post.

OP,

They are trying to please two people. Not just you. They can't afford to lose a power seller. You got your money back...you are happy. The seller got that neg. feedback off...seller happy. All matters settled. Ebay resolved both issues. Sometimes, you can't have both ice cream and cake. As long as you got your money back, let it go. There are bigger things in life than wasting energy and time on a "Feedback".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2013, 11:55 AM
 
624 posts, read 917,052 times
Reputation: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
Agree with this post.

OP,

They are trying to please two people. Not just you. They can't afford to lose a power seller. You got your money back...you are happy. The seller got that neg. feedback off...seller happy. All matters settled. Ebay resolved both issues. Sometimes, you can't have both ice cream and cake. As long as you got your money back, let it go. There are bigger things in life than wasting energy and time on a "Feedback".
I agree that there are bigger things in life, however, as a potential buyer of this seller, wouldn't you want to know about this particular seller? I guess all negatives should be deleted then. What's the point of a feedback anyways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2013, 12:22 PM
 
2,157 posts, read 2,750,556 times
Reputation: 2782
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I agree that there are bigger things in life, however, as a potential buyer of this seller, wouldn't you want to know about this particular seller? I guess all negatives should be deleted then. What's the point of a feedback anyways?
Ebay probably see it as an honest mistake or a mistake not big enough of an issue made by the seller. I've written negative feedbacks for sellers who sell pirated DVDs and all of them have stick and have never been deleted by Ebay. So I guess in the end, Ebay makes the final determination what sticks and doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2013, 07:59 AM
 
Location: On The Road Full Time RVing
2,342 posts, read 2,962,005 times
Reputation: 2225
Read the rules on settling problems with sellers and buyers,
before leaving feed back even before contacting Ebay which made
the rules you agreed to when you became a member.
.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2014, 09:20 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,015 times
Reputation: 10
Yep, sounds about right for e-Bay-World, a place within itself where all rhyme & reason is influenced by their power and what they choose to play around about that particular season. Heck, consider yourself lucky - try having the negative feedback get your selling restricted, when the writer of the feedback received a 'red flag'. Or triple punishments because of a whim by a buyer.

Question: Of the sales which do have a problem, what percentage have all aspects settled correctly ? 'Correctly' referring to standards of morals, ethics, principals, regulations, laws, fairness, etc. and not per e-Bay's kaos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2014, 01:17 AM
 
Location: Mesa
4,116 posts, read 8,826,518 times
Reputation: 3680
What did you say in your feedback? If it mentioned the case at all, that's why it was removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2014, 08:20 PM
 
Location: Diaspora
21,558 posts, read 24,710,773 times
Reputation: 8940
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
If it mentioned the case at all, that's why it was removed.
The OP may have worded it in such a way that it didn't meet it's guidelines (bad language, etc). I left "Junk. No Comm. Case opened." for a seller a few months ago and it's still there. Ebay refunded the item and advised me to trash the item as the shipping cost from my side would have netted me $0.00 and the seller would have their product back. One needs to very careful when sellers use Free Shipping as it is usually a loss from the buyers side if it needs to be returned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2014, 10:20 PM
 
514 posts, read 448,640 times
Reputation: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Hello all,

Have a question that hopefully some of you can answer. Bought a laptop computer from an ebay seller, who had close to 2000 reviews, 99%+ positive. The laptop screen resolution was indicated as HD+ 1600x900 and when I got the item, the resolution was actually HD at 1024x768. Had I known this, I would not have made a purchase because low res screens were widely known to be flawed for this particular manufacturer.

At any rate, the seller asked that I return the item and they would refund my original purchase price but not the return shipping. (Their listing indicated that if the item was DOA or defective, they'd refund the money except for the return shipping).

As a buyer, I feel that errors in the seller's listing sheet are not the same as DOA or defective items, since the seller alone is responsible for making sure their listing info is accurate. Where as in the cases of DOA or defective items, the seller may have no knowledge of any issues. Therefore, I planned to leave a negative feedback, advising other buyers to pay closer attention to this particular seller's items.
..."We also received the feedback you left for the transaction, but it's been removed from the seller's feedback profile because of a recent decision on the eBay Buyer Protection case..."

Why delete the neg feedback?
Most of these sellers have hundreds of listings, they can't possibly vet every single detail on every single machine 100% of the time, maybe someone in the shipping dept sent you the wrong one, who knows, water over the bridge.
As far as getting a full refund but not the return shipping, you bought a computer I'm guessing was a few hundred bucks and now want to haggle over what? a lousy $15 to mail it back? The guy already paid to ship it TO you since he was giving you a full refund, I don't see what the big deal is.

They removed the neg feedback because the seller DID refund your money.
Someone who has 2,000 feedbacks with 99% positive is not going to be harmed in the least by one negative because people see that the guy has 1,998 positive feedbacks and figures you and the other person who filed negs were just being overly nitpicky.

I've seen people whose items were damaged by UPS or lost by the post office leave neg feedback for the SELLER! what's up with THAT??? once the item is shipped it's the responsibility of the CARRIER and the insurance, the shipper has nothing to do with it at that point yet people leave the seller a neg "My package was LOST by UPS!!!" go figure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top