Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:08 AM

5,474 posts, read 6,290,008 times

Advertisements

The ones that ticks me off the most is ice cream. I love the stuff, almost to the point of addiction, my one weak point when it comes to sweets. But I grew up on half gallons, and I refuse to pay $3 or $4 (or more) for 1.5 pints of ice cream, so I buy much less ice cream today than ever. At the rate it's going, in another ten years, a Hoodsie cup will be the full size package! What they're saving in ice cream, they're losing in sales, from me at least. Screw 'em!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 09:17 AM

5,474 posts, read 6,290,008 times
Quote:
The average household size in 1950 was 3.4 persons. Now it is around 2.4 persons. Anyone think that matters?
No, except maybe as an excuse for what they're doing, which is nothing more than raising prices by selling us less at the same price.

Quote:
Common decency would require that people not post blabber and nonsense as if it had come down on stone tablets from the mountaintop. Those who post in such a manner are leaving themselves open to correction and criticism by those who know better. That's how the forum works.
Boy, a little full of ourselves, aren't we? The attitude you've just displayed here is the perfect example of that which you claim to be correcting and criticizing. Talk about a soapbox! Wow.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:13 PM

1,924 posts, read 2,373,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
No, except maybe as an excuse for what they're doing, which is nothing more than raising prices by selling us less at the same price.
You don't think that smaller family sizes justified smaller containers? That seems a little odd. And seniors and young marrieds delaying parenthood barking for years about how hard it was to prepare healthful meals for just two? All that should have been simply ignored in the marketplace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Boy, a little full of ourselves, aren't we? The attitude you've just displayed here is the perfect example of that which you claim to be correcting and criticizing. Talk about a soapbox! Wow.
Who's been pumping out the disinformation here about the CPI-U and those who prepare it? Do you think that sort of rot should just be allowed to pass? People who don't want to be corrected should not post claims that are misleading, incomplete, or just plain incorrect. Is that asking too much?

Old 08-05-2013, 12:24 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
It's called the Supermarket Shrink-Ray and it's been going on for years. It's aggravating; I'd rather pay more for the same size container.

It also makes some of my older recipes nearly impossible to reproduce if they call for a 6 oz can of X or a 10 oz packet of Y, since those same packages are now, for example, 5 oz and 8.7 oz. That may not sound like a big deal but if you're baking or making confectionery, it is.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:39 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
If toilet paper shrinks much anymore we'll be down to using 'post it's' soon.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:38 PM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
You CAN still buy 4.5" rolls... at Costco.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:24 AM

22 posts, read 27,218 times
This is another way of increasing prices... 4-5 years ago I used to purchase a packet full of chips, now condition is that half of the packet is full of air and chips are moving freely inside, at the same cost as it was 4-5 years ago.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:26 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallaVandy View Post
This is another way of increasing prices... 4-5 years ago I used to purchase a packet full of chips, now condition is that half of the packet is full of air and chips are moving freely inside, at the same cost as it was 4-5 years ago.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:04 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,813,486 times
Free market, private enterprise, competition, etc you are more than welcome to sell orange juice by the 50 gallon drum or a crate of 200 bar soaps by freight; it is not big governments place to price fix or ration food. Communism kills.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:19 AM

1,065 posts, read 597,011 times
I actually like smaller sizing of Twinkies and other Frankenfoods. IceCream getting smaller is fine, too because we are only sposed to eat cup, so a tub will last awhile. For yogurt and laundry soap, I make my own. I buy store brand so I rarely use coupons and mix water with frozen orange juice so pre made boxed OJ pricing isn't on my radar. I don't live in a food desert, so I never stock up, just buy for few days worth, and perishables rarely go to waste. I could save more money by car pooling but did that already for 15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products