U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 02:10 PM

5,141 posts, read 2,515,174 times

Advertisements

I use to be out at the stores all of the time, but find now with the kids grown and my husband and myself getting older, we don't need as much. With nothing to do - I decided to go shopping today - what a mistake. I ended up contacting 2 of the stores due to problems.

I'm just going to copy and paste the one to Macys

I stopped by the Macy's Blvd location today and happened to see racks and racks of Woman's Clothing marked at 75% off. There were many shoppers going through the racks, who had armfuls of clothes. After picking up 7 tops, I proceeded to the register and an associate began to ring the items up. I stopped her as the items were not ringing up at 75% off and she explained that though the signs said 75% - the items were priced as marked. They were told to put all clearance items on the racks by management, and then to explain to customers while ringing them up that all items were not 75% off.

Now I don't know what fool is in management that told them that - but it is very poor customer service, for people to believe they will be purchasing the item for one price and then being told no it's another price. It is also poor management that would allow the sales associates to have to explain this to customers and take the fallout from the customer. I told her I did not want the items at the scanned price and that I would be contacting Macys concerning this false advertising. I am also going to contact NY State and the Better Business Bureau. I believe in NY State - if you advertise something at a given price or percentage off, you have to honor that. You had a lot of upset buyers today - some put the items back, others purchased some items but gave the poor sales associates a hard time. This situation does not present the image that Macys likes to maintain.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 02:27 PM

Then I go to Walmart. Decided to self scan as among the few items I bought was ice cream and the lines with a cashier were long. Unfortunately all the scanners were locking up and the young kid who was suppose to be supervising the area was chatting with the cashiers around him, singing to himself or just disappearing. My mother who decided to wait in line, was done before I got my items scanned. Then I have a $1 coupon for Fruit of the Loom underwear. This was printed from the Walmart website and was specifically for Walmart. The coupon pictures a package of T-shirts and a picture of briefs.

But the scanner wouldn't take it - I approached the desk, which was now manned by a woman talking to 2 other sales associates. I explained my problem and all three came over and asked me to show them the package. I routed thru the bags and showed them the Fruit of the Loom T-shirts. They tried scanning again - no go. Then they want to see the package again, but the one girl pulls out a package of Hanes t-shirts that I had also purchased and says - "You have the wrong item - these are Hanes." I then had to find the bag with the Fruit of the Loom and show them again. They try scanning the coupon again - no go. Then the young girl says," You bought t-shirts - not underwear - see this is only good on underwear." Now I'm mad as my ice cream is melting and I have to explain that underwear is a general term for t-shirts, boxers, briefs ect. They finally told me to go to Customer Service with my receipt and coupon to get my dollar. Will have to be another day as I had to get the ice cream home.

I just can't believe all the stupid people these days - I've been in management and I've been in retail, but I'm shocked at the business practices and lack of customer service these days.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:01 PM

21,630 posts, read 24,872,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
... I proceeded to the register and an associate began to ring the items up. I stopped her as the items were not ringing up at 75% off and she explained that though the signs said 75% - the items were priced as marked. They were told to put all clearance items on the racks by management, and then to explain to customers while ringing them up that all items were not 75% off.

It doesn't matter what state you're in. If the rack is marked 75% off and not up to 75% off. Then it has to be sold that way compared to the sticker price. It has nothing to do with state advertising laws. FWIW you should taken a photo of the sign if you have a cell with a camera built in.

The only store that I know who plays that game is HHgregg. In their ads and on their product signage they print in such a small font that you would need a magnifier to read that they discount off MSRP and not their store prices. So what is thought to be a sale may in reality be not.

Keep in mind the Macys of today is not the Macys of thirty years ago. Its simply a label now. Its just a shiny box that has no relation to its customer oriented past.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:23 PM

21,630 posts, read 24,872,358 times
Quote:
Now I'm mad as my ice cream is melting and I have to explain that underwear is a general term for t-shirts, boxers, briefs ect. They finally told me to go to Customer Service with my receipt and coupon to get my dollar.
Actually in todays world cashiers and management go by the photos on the coupons rather than what is written. Here is the version of the coupon which shows a picture of t-shirts and briefs:

http://hip2save.com/2013/06/09/rare-11-fruit-of-the-loom-underwear-coupon-target-store-coupon-to-stack/

http://www.thewallyworldwoman.com/11-fruit-of-the-loom-mens-underwear-printable-coupon-and-walmart-deals/

Keep in mind it expired already nearly a month ago per the links and is why it didn't recognize it.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:43 PM

8,776 posts, read 9,995,369 times
Quote:
Then I go to Walmart. Decided to self scan as among the few items I bought was ice cream and the lines with a cashier were long. Unfortunately all the scanners were locking up and the young kid who was suppose to be supervising the area was chatting with the cashiers around him, singing to himself or just disappearing. My mother who decided to wait in line, was done before I got my items scanned. Then I have a $1 coupon for Fruit of the Loom underwear. This was printed from the Walmart website and was specifically for Walmart. The coupon pictures a package of T-shirts and a picture of briefs.

But the scanner wouldn't take it - I approached the desk, which was now manned by a woman talking to 2 other sales associates. I explained my problem and all three came over and asked me to show them the package. I routed thru the bags and showed them the Fruit of the Loom T-shirts. They tried scanning again - no go. Then they want to see the package again, but the one girl pulls out a package of Hanes t-shirts that I had also purchased and says - "You have the wrong item - these are Hanes." I then had to find the bag with the Fruit of the Loom and show them again. They try scanning the coupon again - no go. Then the young girl says," You bought t-shirts - not underwear - see this is only good on underwear." Now I'm mad as my ice cream is melting and I have to explain that underwear is a general term for t-shirts, boxers, briefs ect. They finally told me to go to Customer Service with my receipt and coupon to get my dollar. Will have to be another day as I had to get the ice cream home.

I just can't believe all the stupid people these days - I've been in management and I've been in retail, but I'm shocked at the business practices and lack of customer service these days.
I'm sorry you had to go through that. All they had to do was put your coupon in manually if it wouldn't scan. As long as it was the correct item, and it sounds like it was. Also they could have just given you your dollar from their register and put the coupon in the drawer. I do that all the time for customers who simply forgot to give me their coupons. Sounds like they need some more training.

To address the associates gabbing at one another...this shouldn't be happening. The only other employee I ever talk to at a register...or self checkout...would be a CSM that I've called for one reason or another. I never have time to talk to other associates when I'm working. I do have two co workers who are BAD about coming up behind me, when THEY aren't busy, and start talking. I told one of them to just shut up and go away. They embarrass me because I'm trying to work even if they aren't. I hear complaints from customers about associates gabbing and I simply do NOT want a customer talking, or thinking about, me that way.

I would ask that you please not judge all associates in retail by some few idiots actions. Most of the people I know are big on customer service and really do give it their best.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:50 PM

8,776 posts, read 9,995,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Actually in todays world cashiers and management go by the photos on the coupons rather than what is written. Here is the version of the coupon which shows a picture of t-shirts and briefs:

http://hip2save.com/2013/06/09/rare-11-fruit-of-the-loom-underwear-coupon-target-store-coupon-to-stack/

http://www.thewallyworldwoman.com/11-fruit-of-the-loom-mens-underwear-printable-coupon-and-walmart-deals/

Keep in mind it expired already nearly a month ago per the links and is why it didn't recognize it.
If a scanned coupon is expired a prompt will appear on the register screen stating that. I go by the picture AND what's written on the coupon. Sometimes a perfectly legit coupon won't scan but matches the product exactly. That's when I put it in manually. Lots of items now have "save now at the register" coupons and it's frustrating that many of those won't scan. Also some things have expired coupons on them as well. I'm not allowed to take an expired coupon but I WILL often do an ad match type of thing so they get the lower price. All in the name of Customer Satisfaction.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:09 AM

9,074 posts, read 19,993,407 times
You did two things wrong..1) you went to Macy's. Macy's is no longer that high end fashion store is used to be. 2) You went to Wal Mart. No more explanation needed.

Sorry your day sucked.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post

Actually, I just checked my coupon and the expiration date is 8/6/2013 so it should have been accepted.

And thanks for the info - I may just go back and take a picture of the 75% off sign !

Old 08-01-2013, 06:05 AM

AZ,

Believe me, I don't judge people because of a few bad apples. I've worked in retail, food industry, medical ect throughout the years and you always find those that give 110% and then a few who don't - unfortunately those are the ones people remember. I've written both companies about my experiences. I do feel though that customer service has suffered these past 20 years as a lot have not been raised with good work ethics. It's just nice that there are these forums where you can get it off your chest and know that others have had the same experience at sometime and can commiserate or give helpful advice!

Old 08-01-2013, 10:49 AM

11 posts, read 27,929 times
Hey Friends..
I also have a bad shopping experience when i go in a store with my friends. And there was a bad collection of dresses. the store is newly open. then we decide that we never go that's like of store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products