U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 11:00 AM

149 posts, read 260,916 times

Advertisements

I can't believe how expensive it is to go grocery shopping these days and I only shop for two people!
I have a hard time finding coupons for most of the things I buy at the store, so I started substituting several of the brand name stuff with store brand just to save a little money.

I'm just curious, do you think you can save more money with coupons or by switching to store brand when possible? What do you to do cut costs at the grocery store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 11:47 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,513,157 times
I use store brands for some things, coupons for others. I also shop Costco for many items.

There are some name brands we refuse to switch!

Old 08-12-2013, 01:27 PM

21,576 posts, read 24,739,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraychick01 View Post
I'm just curious, do you think you can save more money with coupons or by switching to store brand when possible? What do you to do cut costs at the grocery store?
Most of the coupons that have come out lately have been rather worthless. I have tried the store brands, but have found most to be a waste of money and thus returned to the name brands. In addition, driving around to multiple stores may gain you lower costs at the register but you lose most of it on gas. IMO find something else to cut outside of food.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:06 AM

40,106 posts, read 49,078,862 times
We've found most store food brands to be bland or not up to the quality of name brand products. And the few times that we did buy store brand products we ended up later buying other ingredients to spice up or make the product more flavorable, therefore no real savings.
Agree about the lousy selection of useable coupons these days. I've never used nor cared to use about 99% of the products that the coupons offer.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:17 AM

24,503 posts, read 36,023,906 times
I use coupons whenever I can. I NEVER use store brands. I feel that stores don't do any product R&D and product innovation. Brand name manufacturers provide us with new products, so I'd rather support them.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:39 AM

1,171 posts, read 1,971,165 times
I can get free or close to free brand-name products in several categories, using coupons. (I haven't paid cash for paper products, toothpaste or shampoo in four years.)

True, there are rarely coupons for things like meat and produce, but when you can get the rest of your basket for next to nothing, it tends to free up cash for the stuff that you can't find great bargains on.

Store brands are often the exact same product as name brand -- manufactured or processed in the same factory -- so that is not a foolproof indicator of lesser quality.

I'm not brand-loyal at all. I buy whatever I can get for the least amount of money. Sometimes that is store brand stuff (I have found that the CVS brand plastic wrap is superior to Glad, for instance -- and I get that for "free" with Extra Bucks).

Old 08-14-2013, 05:58 PM

149 posts, read 260,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
I can get free or close to free brand-name products in several categories, using coupons. (I haven't paid cash for paper products, toothpaste or shampoo in four years.)

True, there are rarely coupons for things like meat and produce, but when you can get the rest of your basket for next to nothing, it tends to free up cash for the stuff that you can't find great bargains on.

Store brands are often the exact same product as name brand -- manufactured or processed in the same factory -- so that is not a foolproof indicator of lesser quality.

I'm not brand-loyal at all. I buy whatever I can get for the least amount of money. Sometimes that is store brand stuff (I have found that the CVS brand plastic wrap is superior to Glad, for instance -- and I get that for "free" with Extra Bucks).
I agree that many of the store brand stuff is just as good if not better than the name brands.

I used to be very brand-loyal but that's changing.

Where do you get your coupons?

Old 08-15-2013, 10:32 AM

1,171 posts, read 1,971,165 times
I print a lot of them (you must have a laser printer for that to be cost-effective, as well as access to multiple computers ).
I buy some from online coupon clipping services and trade with friends.
I get papers from relatives, the office and from a tobacco store and gas station that have extras, but that's not a guarantee.
Generally I have four or five sets each week that cost me nothing and that I can count on; when the deals are good, I will buy 10 or 20 of a single Q to do the deal multiple times.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:09 AM

8,975 posts, read 19,843,769 times
I find that most of coupons are for things I don't use. I don't buy frozen food, I don't buy grocery store pet food, I don't buy boxed meals, I don't buy salad dressing, I don't buy soda.....sometimes I do find laundry coupons, but not very often.

Many of the store brands are the national brands, they are made in the same factory, but go to different labeling lines.

I have watched those extreme couponing shows and I'm blown away by the pure crap they are getting giddy over...who needs 50 boxes of sugary cereal? Certainly not the family I saw buying them!! Oy!

Old 09-12-2013, 10:33 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,513,157 times
Before you check those sites, make sure your local store will take those coupons.
No store in my area will take any coupon printed from home.

So don't waste the ink until you are sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products