U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2013, 04:32 AM

8,347 posts, read 6,143,969 times

Advertisements

I purchase stuff from eBay almost every month. When I make purchases from sellers, I try to not purchase from sellers who have a feedback score or rating of less than 98%. I also won't purchase from a seller who leaves snarky responses to buyers who have left negative or neutral feedback.

My question is this, as a rule, what's the lowest feedback rating of a seller you would think is acceptable enough for you to buy an item from?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 07:35 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,008,795 times
In my opinion - at the very least, 10 feedbacks. At 10, their DSR's will kick in and I can see their ratings (stars).

And yes I always look at their feedback. Sometimes, by the way it is worded, you can tell if they have received bad feedback from an extortion attempt by the buyer (feedback hostage) that the seller did not cave to. Been-there-experienced-that myself. I ignore those. Also if they have a ton of great feedback and 1 neg or neut that is not representative of the rest of the comments, I ignore those. Anybody can have a bad day.

toolhaus.org is in my browser drop-down search. I use it whenever I buy.

I also look at seller responses, as you do, to determine their grasp of customer service.

And if they are TRS (Top Rated Seller)

My sweet spot (as a buyer) is sellers with 300-1000 feedbacks and a TRS rating. If they have accumulated that many feedbacks, and managed to keep their rating, they should know what they are doing. Of course there are always exceptions

Old 09-29-2013, 01:38 PM

21,621 posts, read 24,872,358 times
Each new seller needs to be given a chance to grow. In my personal experience, the worst sellers have been the ones with high feedbacks. Nearly each time I've had to open a case its been one of the big ones (I've only had to open one case with a low feedback seller). For this reason, it is very important to keep all communication within eBays contact system. I've had bad sellers who attempted to communicate outside of the system and I copy their entire email into the eBay system and respond there. Thus if you have a problem, according to their TOS, they can read the communications w/o permission of either party. All my cases have been settled in my favor including telling me to dispose of the products unless the seller sends a label to ship it back with. To this date with 1000+ transactions, not one has sent the label.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:36 PM

8,347 posts, read 6,143,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Each new seller needs to be given a chance to grow. In my personal experience, the worst sellers have been the ones with high feedbacks. Nearly each time I've had to open a case its been one of the big ones (I've only had to open one case with a low feedback seller). For this reason, it is very important to keep all communication within eBays contact system. I've had bad sellers who attempted to communicate outside of the system and I copy their entire email into the eBay system and respond there. Thus if you have a problem, according to their TOS, they can read the communications w/o permission of either party. All my cases have been settled in my favor including telling me to dispose of the products unless the seller sends a label to ship it back with. To this date with 1000+ transactions, not one has sent the label.
Wow, that's some great advice on communication you've provided and is appreciated!

I also have found that eBay is sort of biased when it comes to fixing problems with their so called power sellers. Largely, my complaint with the power seller is that they'll take days upon days to respond to a buyer's question or complaint, some don't respond at all. Maybe the power sellers feel they rule the roost so to speak, and don't need to respond? I'm not sure what it is though.

I actually prefer purchasing from an individual seller, they seem to care more about keeping their reputations clean and care about dispatching sold items pretty quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchoNan View Post
In my opinion - at the very least, 10 feedbacks. At 10, their DSR's will kick in and I can see their ratings (stars).

And yes I always look at their feedback. Sometimes, by the way it is worded, you can tell if they have received bad feedback from an extortion attempt by the buyer (feedback hostage) that the seller did not cave to. Been-there-experienced-that myself. I ignore those. Also if they have a ton of great feedback and 1 neg or neut that is not representative of the rest of the comments, I ignore those. Anybody can have a bad day.

toolhaus.org is in my browser drop-down search. I use it whenever I buy.

I also look at seller responses, as you do, to determine their grasp of customer service.

And if they are TRS (Top Rated Seller)

My sweet spot (as a buyer) is sellers with 300-1000 feedbacks and a TRS rating. If they have accumulated that many feedbacks, and managed to keep their rating, they should know what they are doing. Of course there are always exceptions
I wished eBay would return to the 2 way feedback system, there are many buyers who will ding a good seller for the silliest of reasons.
At least with the 2 way feedback system, the buyer and seller could mutually withdraw negative or neutral strikes against each other.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:12 AM

24 posts, read 27,892 times
In my experience, a low percentage is sometimes worth looking at. Go find out what caused that percentage to drop and use your own intelligent judgement to decide what that means. Some buyers really do pull evil stunts and put gaping holes in the reputation of a good seller.

Personally I never buy from people with much less than 50 feedbacks, even if the deal looks absolutely unbeatable. There's too much chance that you will end up dealing with some criminal or some blundering novice. I don't have the time OR patience for that kind of trash. The newcomers can get their early feedback from someone else. Especially since Feedback goes both ways, they can get their needed start from Buying as well as from selling.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:11 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,317,783 times
With top sellers it's hard to find one with 100% because they have so many sales someone is bound to be unhappy about something. I try to stay at 98.5 % or above. I also read some of their recent neutral & negative feedback to see what is
the primary issue with this sellers listings.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:57 PM

21,621 posts, read 24,872,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post

I also have found that eBay is sort of biased when it comes to fixing problems with their so called power sellers. Largely, my complaint with the power seller is that they'll take days upon days to respond to a buyer's question or complaint, some don't respond at all. Maybe the power sellers feel they rule the roost so to speak, and don't need to respond? I'm not sure what it is though.
Just finished two cases against sellers with high sales. both had over 10,000 sales with over 99% positive feedback. I won both cases and both were charged back. They both got descriptive negative feedback. Now after nearly three weeks of BS from them, they are offering me numerous items to reverse my feedback to green (which if you read through the feedback comments, you can sort of pick out the ones who did so). I called ebay directly and advised them to contact these sellers and stop these emails as the feedback stands as being the truth. FWIW both had lousy communication and tracking numbers that didn't work. Yet I bought the identical items from Amazon (cost me about $1 more) and both arrived within two business days.

On the flip side I ordered items form ebay sellers with less than 100 transactions (one with 1) in the same time period and their items showed up in a timely manner with no need for communication.

So basically, depending on the cost of the item, take time to read the feedbacks and you'll see that some of the greens are really reds by the wording of them.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:19 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,317,783 times
I only leave positive feedback and only if the seller left me feedback first. If I'm unhappy I still will not leave neutral or negative feedback. It's too much of a hassle. Sellers will bug you to reverse it. Nope, only positive for me. Been there done that. But I won't buy from any seller that I am dissatisfied with in the future. I also put them on the block bidder list in case they try to buy an item from me so they can leave negative for me. Yep, gotta keep all your bases covered on ebay. It's gotten to be dog eat dog!

I'm glad that ebay changed it to where sellers cannot leave negative for the buyer. After all once you've paid how can it be anything but positive. Years ago I left my one and only negative and he in turn left me a negative because I left him one. I suppose that's how it got changed. I should have waited for his feedback first, which is what I do now. As a buyer your only obligation is to pay! Nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products