U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 08:53 AM

1,938 posts, read 5,774,428 times

Advertisements

I bought this shirt in January and it was stain-free and suddenly noticed these weird marks on it. It's gray markings, not like something got spilled on it, but more like it got run over by something. Don't know any other way to describe it. Washing it didn't do anything. You think I should take it to a dry cleaner? In these pictures here where it's wet, I have prespot and some Wisk on it and it's not doing anything. I am by no means a laundry expert. Please advise...I love this shirt It's only on the right arm/chest area.
Attached Thumbnails
Weird stain on shirt...need advice-img_20131013_092444_784.jpg   Weird stain on shirt...need advice-img_20131013_092507_347.jpg   Weird stain on shirt...need advice-img_20131013_093206_544.jpg   Weird stain on shirt...need advice-img_20131013_093210_403.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 08:55 AM

34,556 posts, read 43,665,411 times
Looks like it's time for it to become "the shirt you wear when painting the kitchen".

Old 10-13-2013, 09:10 AM

4,464 posts, read 2,638,523 times
From the pictures you posted it looks like an oil based stain. Try Goop hand cleaner. You can find it in the automotive section at about any store. That stuff works wonders on oil based stains.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:59 AM

18,758 posts, read 55,889,829 times
Liquid fabric softener stain? Try an enzyme detergent soak in warm, but not hot water.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:48 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,606,745 times
Sometimes you just have to let go of that favorite piece of clothing. However, I would start by soaking it in Oxyclean. If that doesn't work and you still want to try something, maybe a spray like Hot Shot. Just be careful, though, because HS is not for fabric. You may definitely have to throw out your shirt after using it.

You also might try this, which is for the removal of blood, but still might work: Don't use hot water on a blood stain. It will set the stain. Instead, let cold water run over the bloodied fabric. Then make a paste with unseasoned meat tenderizer (make sure the ingredients list either “bromelain” or “papain”) and cold water, and put it on the stain. Let it sit for about 30 minutes, then rinse off the tenderizer and wash the garment as usual. Bromelain is derived from pineapple and papain from papaya. Both are enzymes that are good at breaking down protein fibers (which ultimately helps to dissolve blood and tenderize meat).

And last, Lay the oil stained clothing on a flat surface with the greasy stain facing up. Cover the oil stain with baby powder. Leave the baby powder on the clothing for 15 to 20 minutes to absorb grease. Brush the baby powder into the trash.

Spray the remaining oil stain with an aerosol petroleum-based stain remover. The petroleum in the stain remover helps to break down the oil stain, making it easier to remove. Allow the stain remover to remain on the oil spot for one minute.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:39 PM

627 posts, read 1,197,851 times
Did the stain show up after you washed it? To me, it kinda looks like some of those weird spots that sometimes show up IN the laundry. Others have gave some good ideas...I would try Palmolive Oxy dish soap on it. Rub it in and let it soak a little and then rewash by itself. If that doesnt work then it might have to become your wear around the house or under a cardigan shirt =)

Old 10-13-2013, 03:24 PM

11,710 posts, read 20,948,792 times
This will sound odd but someone gave me this tip on a stain and it worked: Windex (regular, not the misc. varieties they have) - spray stains thoroughly and then wash.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:58 PM

2,898 posts, read 5,336,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
From the pictures you posted it looks like an oil based stain. Try Goop hand cleaner. You can find it in the automotive section at about any store. That stuff works wonders on oil based stains.
Goop on clothing?! Wow, great to know Lark. I'm the master of getting stains into my clothing... have a few things hanging in the closet stained with what looks like oil (from where/what/how/why, I don't know) & nothing's worked yet. Thanks for the tip!

BTW, I've seen Goop in discount stores for $1.

To the OP, the new top of my Best Things Ever list is bar laundry soap. Zote is the one I'm using (it's pink, I love the smell & it's $2 in $ stores). I wet the bar, rub it across the stain, dipping back into water as needed, let it soak in water 'til I remember it again & then handwash with the soap. I've had it remove a lot of stains, from lipstick to blood & foreign stains. I even had it remove grey dye from my bathtub, which got stained when I handwashed a new Indian batik skirt & it dripped onto the tub, staining it for weeks... used a scratchy type sponge, rubbed it onto the bar & it came off instantly.

Good luck with your top! I hope something works for you!

Old 10-13-2013, 06:06 PM

14,227 posts, read 19,462,811 times
oxyclean has a stick type stain remover out you can buy it in the grocery store it works miracles it got a blood stain out too . also might want to try an orange type hand cleaner sold in automotive stores I buy both and put both on , one at a time . Good luck I know how aggrivating stains can be on good clothes . I spilled coffee on a white silk blouse at work a couple of years back and ended up having to throw away the blouse and i paid quite a chunk of change for it too .

Old 10-13-2013, 11:43 PM

18,937 posts, read 12,062,191 times
We get our clothes REALLY dirty at our shop (oily) and sometimes my Son gets ink stains on shirts from pens. By far the very best product to remove them is Awesum Prewash that you get for a buck at the dollar stores. I have no idea what they put in there, but it gets out stuff that other prewashes and detergents miss. Awesum makes some great products, I just cleaned a greasy engine with one of their products (also a buck) but I had to wear a respirator as the fumes were murder.

I have tried Shout and all the other name brand prewashes and Awesum wins hands down.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products