Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 01:40 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,060,649 times

Advertisements

There have been a number of previous threads about gifts for teachers, however I do not know which ones gave the best information.

My very, very favorite "gifts" were always the personal letters of appreciate written to my principal and/or director of special education about my skills as a teacher. Normally these were sent at the end of the year, or if a child was in my classroom for several years when they were leaving my room. The best letters always state a few specific examples of how the teacher "went beyond what is typical" or something extra special that they did for your child.

One tip to parents, please also send a copy to the teacher, if you sent it to her/his boss. On two different occasions a parent sent a letter like this to the BIG boss at the Central Administrative Office, which normally would be greatly appreciated, but somehow the letters just got filed in my personnel file and I never even saw a copy of the letters. After the parents mentioned it, I asked for a copy but since it wasn't addressed to me I was told that I couldn't get a copy of it.

Or you can send it directly to the teacher with a copy to the principal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 03:09 PM

13,979 posts, read 25,891,965 times
You might want to begin by reaching out to the class mothers. In our district, they collected money from each family in order to give the teacher one big gift (card).

For those teaching the "specials" such as PE and art, a small token would suffice.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:33 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,364,446 times
Gift cards, hands down, the most appreciated gift you can give to a teacher. Trust me, they have enough "Best Teacher" ornaments and mugs they will ever need.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:38 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,661,245 times
I always gave the homeroom teacher a gift card to the local new and used book store. I figured they could get something for themselves or their class if that was what they preferred.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:40 PM

410 posts, read 1,291,276 times
I'm glad to see a thread like this.. this is my first time in the parenting forum and I was a bit scared by some of these threads.

Great ideas!

Old 11-14-2013, 03:42 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,684,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_2010 View Post
My little one started elementary school and I only know her homeroom teacher, the one that spends most of the day with her. They do go to different classes with other teachers (PE, Music, etc). My question is, if I were to bring a holiday present to the teacher, should I get something for all of them or just the homeroom? What is the customary thing? Thanks for any comments or suggestions.
I am a teacher, the best gifts are either ones for the classroom or the teachers room. Backed goods, or gift cards to staples/book stores.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:37 PM

834 posts, read 2,679,529 times
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions! I've heard other classrooms getting together for one big teacher present but not sure if our room mom has plans. I will check for sure!

Old 11-14-2013, 05:34 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,469,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_2010 View Post
My little one started elementary school and I only know her homeroom teacher, the one that spends most of the day with her. They do go to different classes with other teachers (PE, Music, etc). My question is, if I were to bring a holiday present to the teacher, should I get something for all of them or just the homeroom? What is the customary thing? Thanks for any comments or suggestions.
I would get something for all of them. Gifts don't need to be expensive. One of the most thoughtful gifts I've ever been given, as a teacher, was a ream of paper wrapped in white paper that had been decorated by the student tied up in ribbon that had white board markers tied up in the bow.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:43 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,019,525 times
well this is what I did when my kids were little . I would go to the dollar store and get coffee cups for every teacher including home room . I also put a baked good with them such as a muffin or a small tart . They loved it and all the teachers said they needed coffee cups LOL . I did that every year they were in school and they were appreciated Im sure .

Old 11-14-2013, 06:02 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,004,497 times
Our class mother collects money for a gift from the class. I then send a small gift...usually stationary since teachers send a lot of notes home.

Our parent group organizes teacher appreciation breakfasts and lunches, so I figure that covers everyone else. I always donate something to those events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products