U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 10:46 AM

52,151 posts, read 30,211,231 times

Advertisements

How much money should the rebate have, for you to mail it in and wait a while for the check?

Here's why I'm asking, I bought a bottle of Listerene last week and there was a large tag-like piece of paper wrapped around the top of it to for a $3.00 mail-in rebate.. I looked at it and laughed and wondered how many people will actually mail that in and wait 4 to 6 weeks for the check? Why does the manufacturer even bother with this? It would have been better to include a coupon for the next purchase, or even include more Listerene inside the countainer, like many manufacturers do these days.

For me, the rebate amount would have to be for a minimum of $20.00 to mail it in and wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 01:26 PM

25,691 posts, read 24,521,739 times
Ive bought things that offered rebates. My AT&T phone offered a 50.00 rebate when I started the service 8 years ago. Sent in everything they asked for, the originas. Never got a dime, even after 2 monts. Didnt matter, after the 3rd month I cancelled my service anyway.
T Mobile has been good about rebate things though. Everytime we got phones from them that offered thosem, we got them. Guess it depends on the manufacturer.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:57 PM

468 posts, read 1,525,122 times
I've always wondered this too. For me, anything above 10 bucks I'm automatically sending in. If it's under, I'll consider it, but chances are I'll pass.

BTW, ATT has always been solid about rebates. Sorry about not hearing back regarding yours...

Old 11-23-2007, 02:37 PM

25,691 posts, read 24,521,739 times
Well Im not really worried about it. Just counted it as a loss. If it had been something like a hundred bucks or so, maybe would have pursued it. I dont send for anything less than 10 bucks though.
I just realized there are a couple of typos in my last response. Thats what happens when I try to type without looking at the keys, lol.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:53 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,994,309 times
I don't like mail-in rebates. If the company can't just mark down the price on the product it's just not worth it to me.

However, in the past I have sent in rebates for 1.00...

*cough* Yeahhhh.... I'm cheap lol.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:58 AM

22,974 posts, read 59,150,122 times
It a marketing ploy to make you believe that you are getting a item cheaper but it is up to you to follow thru on your end of the deal or you basically just getting the item for regular price by not following up of sending in that rebate. Places like Staples let you fill in your rebate online so that helps out tremendously. If you do not mail in the 3 dollar rebate then you in essence just help that company make 3 dollars more in profit.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:00 AM

52,151 posts, read 30,211,231 times
I was at Fry's Electronics yesterday looking at LCD monitors for one of my computers, and they had a really good deal on a 22" widescreen LG monitor for something like $199, and that's with an instant in-store rebate. But, of course they were out of them and I couldn't order one because the sale was good for yesterday only!

I looked at others and about 90% of them had mail-in rebates, so I didn't even bother.

The last time I sent in for a rebate was almost 2 years ago, and as always, it took 2 months to get the rebate, even though the manufacturer of the item I bought is located right here in the Phoenix metro area!

I think they need to put a law in place that if you pay for an item with a debit or credit card and you have to wait for a rebate, the money doesn't come out of your checking account until they send you the check! That might give them the incentive to send you the rebate a little faster!

Old 11-25-2007, 08:44 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,685,724 times
What upsets me is when these companies offering the rebates don't even send you a check...they send a credit card...which often won't work. Right now I have 2 of those in my wallet. I did everything on-line and even called in to activate their card and then tried to use it..would not go through. My husband finally got one he received to go through but only because the girl at the store took the time and was very patient to keep putting it through. What a pain!!!

Old 11-25-2007, 11:13 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,213,857 times
I admit I do send them in ~ all of them, even the $1.00 and $2.00 ones. I give them to my kids when they come back. We go to the bank and they put them in their account. It's fun, I've probably racked up at least $200.00 over the past 7 years between my two kids.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:31 PM

604 posts, read 4,332,345 times
I hate rebates. I never get them and it's such a hassel to hunt those companies down. I've been waiting on one from HP for almost a year, but when I call the number and input my info it says its still be processed.

I usually won't buy or compute it in the final price b/c it's such a hassel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products