Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 06:45 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
..... They simply want to get their stuff and leave, not listen to a recitation of a persons problems.
Then on the opposite side of the coin, cashiers need to stop at the word Hello and not ask questions like "How's your day going" or "How are you". Because one day instead of wanting to get my stuff and leave, when I've had a sucky day I'm just going to go onto a rant and actually answer their question instead of simply stating "Fine". It comes down to " if you worked in my shoes for a day, then........" and it goes both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 09:02 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Then on the opposite side of the coin, cashiers need to stop at the word Hello and not ask questions like "How's your day going" or "How are you". Because one day instead of wanting to get my stuff and leave, when I've had a sucky day I'm just going to go onto a rant and actually answer their question instead of simply stating "Fine". It comes down to " if you worked in my shoes for a day, then........" and it goes both ways.
How did this thread morph from "what employees want you to know" into "What employees want you to listen to them rant about"?

It's about what customers should know, without the employees needing to tell them.

I can't recall ever hearing a store employee say anything negative about her job or her day, even when asked.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:17 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How did this thread morph from "what employees want you to know" into "What employees want you to listen to them rant about"?

It's about what customers should know, without the employees needing to tell them.

I can't recall ever hearing a store employee say anything negative about her job or her day, even when asked.
When have you known on any thread on C-D to ever stay 100% on the original topic?

Old 11-28-2013, 09:25 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
LOL...I've actually had that happen a few times. I always want to know that people are having a good day and if they aren't I'll try to make it 'better', if I can. And if I'm sympathetic to them it WILL be in a sincere way and not just 'lip service'. I DO care about most of my customers and if they are having a decent day maybe they won't be grouchy. lol

Old 11-28-2013, 04:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
When have you known on any thread on C-D to ever stay 100% on the original topic?
My responses have been on topic, and at least two people have responded to my posts as if I had said that customers should tolerate ranting from employees. People can go off topic if they want, but I object if they argue with me about something I did not say.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:10 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Sorry but those employees have NO right to be complaining about ANY of that. To a customer. Even if it is true. The majority of them don't want to hear that stuff. The just want to get their 'stuff' and get out of there. They will have forgotten it by the time they get to their car. Or they may 'spread the word' to their friends about how mean and unfair the store/government is, etc.. Mostly not though. I would never dream of complaining to my customers and if I was really that unhappy I'd find another job. Done it before and can do it again.

You know, I am always happy if I can make one of my customers day "better" but that's not my goal. My goal is to treat them with respect, maybe joke a little and have some fun with them and let them leave 'satisfied'. I appreciate people who are 'nice' to me. Sometimes it IS the employees fault if something goes wrong. Lord knows I've made my own share of mistakes over the years.

As a consumer, I DO want to hear that because I DO NOT want to enable ****ty employers to treat human beings poorly. I will shop and spend more at companies who treat their employees with respect and pay them a good wage.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:13 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Not sure about that. I've been working with the public for over 50 years and I think I've 'got it down'. Some might care but the majority do not. They simply want to get their stuff and leave, not listen to a recitation of a persons problems.
1. The OP did not mean employees speaking directly to customers.

2. I think the people who don't care about where their dollars are spent are wrong. You should care what your money is going towards and how that affects people in your community.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:43 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Loving this thread, completely in agreement with the facebook post!

I don't know of course, but it's possible some of those associates are off the clock. I know that I am very often approached by customers when I am on my own time at work, especially if I'm trying to make a purchase during my lunch break.
We joke that we need little taxi lights that we can switch to 'off duty' when we go on break or shop after our shifts, because we know that customers have no easy way of realizing we are off the clock.
I sincerely wish that instead of company logo shirts we would go back to having removable vests or aprons to wear over our street clothes. It would be a lot less annoying for us, and less confusing for our customers when we are off the clock!
I take my name tag off, but some of our regulars know me. I only get 15 minutes to eat and pee, people!

Old 11-29-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
As a consumer, I DO want to hear that because I DO NOT want to enable ****ty employers to treat human beings poorly. I will shop and spend more at companies who treat their employees with respect and pay them a good wage.
There are plenty if people out there who are unhappy/dissatisfied with their jobs no matter how they are treated or paid. My company, in particular, gets dissed a LOT and mostly by people who listen to a disgruntled employee and take all they say for gospel. I think people should do a little research before they believe all they hear. And then there are people who simply want sympathy.

Oh well...to each their own.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
1. The OP did not mean employees speaking directly to customers.

2. I think the people who don't care about where their dollars are spent are wrong. You should care what your money is going towards and how that affects people in your community.
I 'get' that and already said that.

It's okay to care where your money is spent. No problem with that. But why let one disgruntled employee...or ex-employee color your thinking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products