U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 09:10 PM

3,674 posts, read 5,850,725 times

Advertisements

One of my bosses just posted this on Facebook. Happy Holidays everyone.

The Sound
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 08:44 AM

2,581 posts, read 5,471,896 times
2-3 hours after close? He/she is doing something wrong.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:55 AM

16,840 posts, read 51,286,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Depends. If there has been an employee clipping and you are doing inventory, it can be that long. If the company is a total flipping idiot (like General Cinemas used to be) the paperwork cannot be done properly while the store is open AND have the manager on the floor. Note that General Cinema FAILED and went bankrupt, even though it had managers working those extra hours for nothing. I love paybacks.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:59 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
Quote:
9. Do I really have to tell you the price of every thing I ring up?

I mean really.
Is this a common thing? I read that to mean that if someone buys 5 items, they ask for the price of each item as it is being rung up.

2 Things:

1. I don't understand why the customer does this (but that's okay).
2. If it's a common thing, I don't understand why stores haven't resolved it if it's really a problem.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:37 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
As a shopper, I think what most employees want me to know is that their job sucks, they are underpaid and work terrible hours for a dick boss and their kids are in daycare and their food stamps have just been cut by politicians whose campaigns are financed by their store's white male billionaire owner.

I don't feel that it's my place, as a shopper, to make their day any worse than it already is. Being nice to an employee is the easiest thing in the world to do, and if things go wrong, it is not their fault.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:54 PM

8,213 posts, read 9,093,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
As a shopper, I think what most employees want me to know is that their job sucks, they are underpaid and work terrible hours for a dick boss and their kids are in daycare and their food stamps have just been cut by politicians whose campaigns are financed by their store's white male billionaire owner.

I don't feel that it's my place, as a shopper, to make their day any worse than it already is. Being nice to an employee is the easiest thing in the world to do, and if things go wrong, it is not their fault.
Sorry but those employees have NO right to be complaining about ANY of that. To a customer. Even if it is true. The majority of them don't want to hear that stuff. The just want to get their 'stuff' and get out of there. They will have forgotten it by the time they get to their car. Or they may 'spread the word' to their friends about how mean and unfair the store/government is, etc.. Mostly not though. I would never dream of complaining to my customers and if I was really that unhappy I'd find another job. Done it before and can do it again.

You know, I am always happy if I can make one of my customers day "better" but that's not my goal. My goal is to treat them with respect, maybe joke a little and have some fun with them and let them leave 'satisfied'. I appreciate people who are 'nice' to me. Sometimes it IS the employees fault if something goes wrong. Lord knows I've made my own share of mistakes over the years.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:19 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Sorry but those employees have NO right to be complaining about ANY of that. To a customer. Even if it is true. The majority of them don't want to hear that stuff. The just want to get their 'stuff' and get out of there. They will have forgotten it by the time they get to their car. Or they may 'spread the word' to their friends about how mean and unfair the store/government is, etc.. Mostly not though. I would never dream of complaining to my customers and if I was really that unhappy I'd find another job. Done it before and can do it again.

You know, I am always happy if I can make one of my customers day "better" but that's not my goal. My goal is to treat them with respect, maybe joke a little and have some fun with them and let them leave 'satisfied'. I appreciate people who are 'nice' to me. Sometimes it IS the employees fault if something goes wrong. Lord knows I've made my own share of mistakes over the years.
Did I say anything about the employees complaining to the customers? Read my post again, if you're not sure.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:04 AM

3,674 posts, read 5,850,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Not in a large department store after a busy day, especially from Black Friday on. Customers throw everything on the floor.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:38 AM

4,429 posts, read 2,064,185 times
I haven't worked in retail but shop enough to have seen all of the circumstances the writer wrote and yes - I agree with them. There is good and bad to every job but I try to make it as easy for them as possible and they do appreciate it. From taking clothing off of hangers so they can just scan and fold - to helping them put the items in a grocery bag or bagging my own groceries. There's nothing wrong with a little kindness and we don't see it often - especially during the Holiday shopping season.

I hate people with a thousand questions at the register - ask an associate before you get in line.

Make sure you have enough money to purchase what you've bought and have your wallet out and ready to pay - as I wait behind you while you pick and choose, from the already packed bags, what to put back or searching for your money.

Keep your kids under control - if they're acting up - discipline them or remove them from the store and shop later.

If you decide that you don't want an item - put it back where you got it - don't just throw it somewhere.

Not a grinch or a grouch - but there's something called common courtesy which so many either haven't been taught or forgot.

There's also those cashiers / customer service that are more concerned with talking to other associates than waiting on me - the store will either miss out on my purchase as I'll go elsewhere or if I'm in the mood - I'll speak up and may even go to your manager if you give me attitude. I seldom do that though as everyone is entitled to a bad day.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:47 PM

9,483 posts, read 13,334,142 times
Loving this thread, completely in agreement with the facebook post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
There's also those cashiers / customer service that are more concerned with talking to other associates than waiting on me - the store will either miss out on my purchase as I'll go elsewhere or if I'm in the mood - I'll speak up and may even go to your manager if you give me attitude. I seldom do that though as everyone is entitled to a bad day.
I don't know of course, but it's possible some of those associates are off the clock. I know that I am very often approached by customers when I am on my own time at work, especially if I'm trying to make a purchase during my lunch break.
We joke that we need little taxi lights that we can switch to 'off duty' when we go on break or shop after our shifts, because we know that customers have no easy way of realizing we are off the clock.
I sincerely wish that instead of company logo shirts we would go back to having removable vests or aprons to wear over our street clothes. It would be a lot less annoying for us, and less confusing for our customers when we are off the clock!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products