U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 07:29 PM

6,494 posts, read 11,534,403 times

Advertisements

Is it just me but does anyone else notice. That these two stores seem to be it, for our everyday shopping any longer in the USA. I'm not referring to grocery stores. I'm referring to more along the lines of everyday general merchandise stores. We use to have at least several other options in that line of retail, but now they are all gone. Basically run out of business by the likes of Walmart and Target.

I ask this because I have never really been a fan of Walmart, however lately I have become disgusted with Target. I have had a number of really bad experiences in their stores in the past year. So much so that I have decided to completely avoid them. So that only seems to leave a very crowded Walmart near me. Which will become the lesser of two evils, at least in my case.

So what do other people do. Do you do all your shopping at these two stores or have you found other options? Remember I'm not talking about grocery stores and grocery items. Just general merchandise type retail stores. We don't seem to have anything in Massachusetts any longer, besides these two stores and some Dollar stores. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 09:19 PM

5,979 posts, read 12,949,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Is it just me but does anyone else notice. That these two stores seem to be it, for our everyday shopping any longer in the USA. I'm not referring to grocery stores. I'm referring to more along the lines of everyday general merchandise stores. We use to have at least several other options in that line of retail, but now they are all gone. Basically run out of business by the likes of Walmart and Target.

I ask this because I have never really been a fan of Walmart, however lately I have become disgusted with Target. I have had a number of really bad experiences in their stores in the past year. So much so that I have decided to completely avoid them. So that only seems to leave a very crowded Walmart near me. Which will become the lesser of two evils, at least in my case.

So what do other people do. Do you do all your shopping at these two stores or have you found other options? Remember I'm not talking about grocery stores and grocery items. Just general merchandise type retail stores. We don't seem to have anything in Massachusetts any longer, besides these two stores and some Dollar stores. Thanks.
Hmm, back when I used to live in Boston, specifically Allston, there was a store called Economy True Value (I think that was the name). I got a ton of household goods there: my basic small kitchen appliances like blender and handmixer, some lamps, fans, etc. They also sold furniture, but I never got any from there.

Bed, Bath, and Beyond is another good place to shop for household basics. If you get one of there very frequent mail out coupons, prices end up being as cheap or sometimes even cheaper than Target or Walmart. I got most of my bathroom stuff from there, along with other kitchen items like pans and storage.

With large pieces of furniture, it's easier to stay away from the big boys. I personally tend to buy used furniture, especially wood pieces if I can, but have bought new items from small store fronts. Nothing fancy like what you'd find at a Crate & Barrel, but serviceable.

I don't know, while I do get a lot of things from Walmart/Target, just looking around my place, I think I've got stuff from BB&B, TJ Maxx, Home Goods, 5 Below, Urban Outfitters, random neighborhood furniture store, my art school's student run store, a linen outlet, thrift stores, and Menards. And that's not even including any clothing. Still some big box store in there, but I don't think it's impossible to find smaller stores that sell some nice basic items.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:10 PM

37,949 posts, read 43,276,787 times
There are many alternatives. Google the item(s) you want and all types of stores will pop up besides your 2 un-likely favorites.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:34 AM

3,035 posts, read 6,124,486 times
In MI and I think in OH we have a store similar to Walmart called Meijer which is nicer in my opinion. I am not a Costco shopper but I would think that and Sam's that has merchandise yet also a TV. Another thought is Big Lots though I am not a fan of that store. Many department stores such as Macys or Kohls have household items and they are often on sale but you have to watch for the specials.
I remember growing up my family did not shop at these stores. Once an awhile at Kmart but not very often. My mom would just go to the grocery for food, an appliance store for a TV, and Macy's for clothes.
OP are you looking for a specific item?

Old 11-30-2013, 10:16 AM

7,690 posts, read 10,800,689 times
I'm from MI and live in Ohio not far from a Meijer. Not always the cheapest but its a regional midwestern company and that makes me feel better about supporting it that something truly mega like Wal-mart.
Do they have anything like that in your area? Or smaller but slightly more expensive options? Personally I shopless and buy less and pay slightly higher prices in order to not support some practices I don't like.
I realize some rural areas only have a couple stores avail period and feel lucky to have those.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:57 PM

2,431 posts, read 4,242,660 times
OP, I know exactly what you mean -- well, about Walmart anyway. Never had a problem with Target -- I actually really like Target, but haven't been there in over a year, because I'm trying not to "recreational shop" (and it's out of the way).

There used to be many stores that sold everyday items in my area: Woolworths, Grants, Jamesway, Ames, Korvettes, Two Guys… now they are all gone. Even the Kmart closed.

Don't know how you feel about large chain drugstores, but I think of them as the "general stores" of the past -- they sell SO much! Last time I needed an electric fan, they had quite a few choices.

Also check out your local hardware store (not a big-box store). I bought a toaster from on recently, and am thinking of going there to buy a humidifier.

Walmart is a relative newcomer to our area -- I'd say 15 years or less. For financial reasons, I've become a regular, though reluctant customer. I DO dislike having to go through ANY huge store, though, and will often buy from a smaller place just because it's quicker.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:42 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,144,867 times
I don't shop at Wal-Mart anymore. The stores are disgusting and customer service is sadly lacking. I do shop at Target because they are so clean and are a pleasant place to shop. However, they can be expensive so I only have a select few items I buy there. For general merchandise we have HEB Plus here and there's always Big Lots. Dollar General and Family Dollar offer a lot of household items too.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:32 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,282,894 times
I've noticed it too and while I prefer Target over Walmart, sometimes I can't find something and end up at Walmart. I despise K-Mart. In my area, they are just starting to build Meijer's and they won't be open until sometime in 2014 and they'll be about an hour away - but we had them when I was living in Ohio and they were very nice then. There is a store here called Shopko which is kind of sad (IMHO) very cheap quality items and inflated prices. I've gone a a few times to look around and come out empty handed. I tend to gravitate towards Farm and Fleet or Ace Hardware or towards Amazon if I can't find something I need locally. All of the big box stores and major shopping is at least an hour from where we live. I also like Menards for some stuff.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:43 AM

32,345 posts, read 37,547,664 times
Walmart is hard to beat for one stop shopping, your only alternative is to go back to the old ways of going to the auto parts store for auto parts, the hunting store for your outdoor needs, the clothing store for clothes the grocery store for groceries ,the liquor store for liquor and so on, when one looks at the convenience a walmart store offers 24/7 they gotta really urinate me off before i'll spend the day going to half a dozen different stores to buy all the stuff i can just buy at Walmart.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
27,334 posts, read 48,164,519 times
We have a local store called Fred Meyer, owned by Kroger that has everything you would find at Walmart or Target (though we have those too) at competitive prices but better quality and customer service. They get the bulk of our business for items we can't get at Costco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products