U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 05:58 AM

28,504 posts, read 48,473,867 times

Advertisements

I like this store very much over Kroger's and Wal-mart.

Chances are that you have never set foot inside the best grocery store in America: Aldi. And even if you are lucky enough to be in one of the 32 states where Aldi is, perhaps you were put-off by the cardboard boxes in lieu of shelves, or the row upon row of suspicious-looking off-brands. What is this place? Why do I have to put down a deposit to check out a cart? What is the weird giant shelf by the exit? And what do you mean, I have to pay for a bag?

Aldi grocery store: best in America, related to Trader Joe’s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 09:29 AM

2,679 posts, read 6,056,454 times
Aldi is where I've bought most of my groceries in the past several months.

I've always known about Aldi

Old 12-03-2013, 09:55 AM

1,524 posts, read 3,522,265 times
Forget Aldi, I think the best grocery store is WinCo by far. They need to aggressively expand. Cheap, good selection, employee owned.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:03 PM

271 posts, read 507,180 times
The nicest grocery store I have ever shopped in is Wegman's. Huge variety, great customer service. Their prepared foods are a bit pricey, but the regular (basic) items are in line with Shop Rite. It's just such a beautiful store. I think they are basically on the east coast however.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:30 PM

13,930 posts, read 14,269,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Sherri View Post
The nicest grocery store I have ever shopped in is Wegman's. Huge variety, great customer service. Their prepared foods are a bit pricey, but the regular (basic) items are in line with Shop Rite. It's just such a beautiful store. I think they are basically on the east coast however.
I'm in Colorado now, but oh god, I miss Wegman's. Soooooo bad.

We ARE getting a TJ's here soon, though. So there is some solace. And a Dunkin Donuts has just opened in the city.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:01 PM

18,760 posts, read 56,033,873 times
I find it hilarious that someone wants to tell me what the "best" store in the U.S. is, without knowing me or my shopping habits. Here is a clue - I don't need someone in search of der ruhm des Vaterland to rate my shopping experience or the overall state of shopping in the U.S. Das soll mir das gefühl, minderwertig?

Old 12-03-2013, 11:52 PM

40,194 posts, read 49,450,095 times
Yep the best grocery store is the one you choose to do business with. Just like the auto business some like Fords, some like Chevy's, some like Honda's etc etc. It's a matter of personal choice. Shop on...

Old 12-04-2013, 06:40 AM

22,171 posts, read 25,002,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Yep the best grocery store is the one you choose to do business with.

On a side note, Trader Joes isn't even in my top 10. Most people who I see in there are people who are middle to upper class alcoholics who purchase wine by the case.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:12 AM

3,643 posts, read 6,417,398 times
I don't know what the fuss is about trader joes. Is it just cause it's the "cool hip store" cause some surfer in Cali said it was. I went there and it had a whole 3 aisles in the middle plus produce lining the outside of the store. I couldn't even do all my shopping there with the lack of product/variety. It was such a disappointment after such a big hoopla opening day I've never gone back. For me Whole Foods/Publix/ Sweetbay are my top choices.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:54 AM

11,840 posts, read 6,496,099 times
I've been to Aldi's (3 or so times) and Trader Joe's (couple times), neither of them [based on the ones I've been to anyways] are all that, imo. I think TJ's may have more things to offer than my neighborhood Aldi's though. Maybe there are bigger Aldi's in some areas than others, just like Target. There are some really HUGE Target stores out there. We have one that's big but definitely not as big as some of the ones I've visited/shopped at on the weekends. I prefer Wegman's, although the closest one is about a 30 min drive, in the direction that I don't normally go in unless it's on a weekend. Most likely I'd either stop at Martin's or Walmart, sometimes Weis (as they are closest to the house and/or happen to be on my commute route back home).

Just like the debates between Target and Walmart, sometimes I can't always find the items on my list when I'm at Target and thus have to make a trip to Walmart or vice versa. Sometimes I can't find what I'm looking for at Martin's and have to go to Walmart. In one direction, it's very convenient as both or most of those stores are nearby but in the other direction, I'm more limited.

The tough part is remembering which store has the needed item/s and to plan accordingly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products