Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 02:50 PM

568 posts, read 957,782 times

Advertisements

I was in Walmart on Friday with two items, my sister five. I wasnt paying attention to the lady with the shopping cart in front of me until I noticed she kept putting items on the check out counter. OBVIOUSLY
she was way over the 20 item limit. I asked her if she could read and her response was Walmart didnt have enough checkers. That may be true, but she is the one buying all that junk food so go stand in the other line/ She was VERY much a Walmart shopper (if you have seen those pictures posted all the time showing Walmart shoppers) and she thought she was so smart. So what if she gets mad, people like her only shop at Walmart. Why does Walmart not enforce their policy? After she left, the checker was very polite and apologized. Hey it is not her fault some people are rude and "ignert". If it doesnt matter how many items you have in the basket and Walmart isnt going to help people with a few items get in and out fast, they might as well take the sign down. AND that goes for the 10 items or less line too!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 12:12 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,846,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooterposh View Post
I was in Walmart on Friday with two items, my sister five. I wasnt paying attention to the lady with the shopping cart in front of me until I noticed she kept putting items on the check out counter. OBVIOUSLY
she was way over the 20 item limit. I asked her if she could read and her response was Walmart didnt have enough checkers. That may be true, but she is the one buying all that junk food so go stand in the other line/ She was VERY much a Walmart shopper (if you have seen those pictures posted all the time showing Walmart shoppers) and she thought she was so smart. So what if she gets mad, people like her only shop at Walmart. Why does Walmart not enforce their policy? After she left, the checker was very polite and apologized. Hey it is not her fault some people are rude and "ignert". If it doesnt matter how many items you have in the basket and Walmart isnt going to help people with a few items get in and out fast, they might as well take the sign down. AND that goes for the 10 items or less line too!!!
As a cashier at Walmart I can tell you that I totally AGREE with you. However, we are not allowed to send them to another register. When we aren't busy I don't mind so much but I don't want a line to form at my register because of some thoughtless chit. Last year at this time they decorated all the signs with wrapping paper, covering up everything except the register number. Because they could no longer SEE the 20 items or less they just assumed it wasn't in affect. What a mess! Those registers only have three bags on the carousels so they fill up fast and they are still unloading. This year they left the words uncovered but still, they come. I honestly wish some of the customers would say something to them but they don't.

It was partly because of this that they put in the Self Checkout scanners. Those were actually intended to be an extension of the 20 items or less registers but, again, people pull in there with two weeks worth of 'stuff' in their basket. Leaving the person with three or four things waiting in a line, just like at the registers.

I would like to say though that those people on the website, People of Walmart, are NOT your typical shopper. But because of that website people seem to think they are. Yes, we sometimes will get someone in the store that could probably show up there but the vast majority are not. I simply don't think it's fair to paint ALL Walmart shoppers with the same brush. We have a super busy store so I see, literally, hundreds of people a day. They dress like everyone else everywhere.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:32 AM

61,029 posts, read 85,838,736 times
Who is going to enforce it? The police? Security? the cashier?
It's a courtesy request. People should abide. But no one is going to enforce it, because it's bad for the business. They want to keep every customer - not make them angry.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:38 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,887,591 times
FYI - it isn't just Walmart. We have a locally-owned group of grocery stores that have the same policy. (I have a family member who once worked as cashier in one of the stores).

Yes, there are a couple of registers that are posted with 20-items signs, and often, people will unload a full cart onto the belt. The cashier is not permitted to direct the shopper to one of the other registers. And the people in line behind the miscreant are mumbling and grumbling.

Guess who takes the heat? Right, the cashier. I think that the sign should state:

"This is a 20-item-limit line. If you insist on checking out here with more than 20 items, a penalty of 20% of your total bill will be added to the charge. Automatically. Or you can be courteous and step to another line."

Yes, I know it will never happen, and I know the store doesn't want to lose a customer, but perhaps they're already losing the customers who are forced to wait in what they thought was an express lane.

I spend far too much time wondering whatever happened to civility.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:18 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,436,743 times
I LOVE the idea in the post above....20% premium on your order if you exceed the 20 item limit. Of course it will never happen, but in my fantasy ideal world, this ..and many other things, like nobody cutting in traffic in front of me after I have sat in the proper merge lane...would happen. But, sadly, it is nothing but fantasy.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:25 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,038,809 times
With the 20 items right next to the self checkout now, when this happened to ne the other day,(at Walmart) the attendant at the self checkout came up to me and offered to do the check out for me to make up for the ignorant boob with the full cart

Old 12-10-2013, 06:35 AM

568 posts, read 957,782 times
Walmart is NOT going to lose a customer. Anyway one or two customers certainly wont break the bank on the bottom line of Walmart!! The manager's should enforce the checkout 20 items or less. With respect to all customer's, I definitely am not one of those "people of Walmart" shoppers...but she was. So going forward knowing that there are azzholes out there - I hope everyone has a very nice holiday (except for the azzholes). ;-)

Old 12-10-2013, 08:46 AM

6,324 posts, read 7,669,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
...It was partly because of this that they put in the Self Checkout scanners. Those were actually intended to be an extension of the 20 items or less registers...
I absolutely love those self-checkout stations. Being a techno-geek, I can get through them really quickly and on my way.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
With the 20 items right next to the self checkout now, when this happened to ne the other day,(at Walmart) the attendant at the self checkout came up to me and offered to do the check out for me to make up for the ignorant boob with the full cart
I do that too when I am working the self checkout. Especially if the lines are getting long. A lot of people are actually intimidated by the self scanners but I'll help them through it and then they are on their way while the line remains at the registers. They are happy! lol

Old 12-10-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I absolutely love those self-checkout stations. Being a techno-geek, I can get through them really quickly and on my way.
I like them too for when I'm in a hurry. When I do my own shopping I will use them because I don't like the way most cashiers bag my 'stuff'. I'm picky about it and they aggravate me. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products