U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2007, 03:16 AM

28,414 posts, read 48,173,669 times

Advertisements

Americans are expected to spend nearly half a trillion dollars this holiday season, doing their part to boost the economy by splurging on presents for loved ones and themselves.

But as some shoppers drive themselves into debt, maxing out their credit cards and wiping out already slim savings, one man says it's time to stop.

Actor and activist Bill Talen, also known as Reverend Billy, heads the self-styled Church of Stop Shopping, which replaces more traditional beliefs with the gospel that consumerism is destroying the American spirit.

ABC News: Not Buying It: Church of Stop Shopping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 08:27 AM

25,691 posts, read 24,531,561 times
Funny. I know how this time of year more people are apt to spend frivously or compulsively. Its not hard to go into a store and develop 'tunnel vision', meaning, only go in for what you needed. You know, literally, do the 'tunnel vision' thing where you simply dont see anything else.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:49 AM

5,284 posts, read 18,146,537 times
The whole buy, buy, buy thing that starts in September (ads, music in the stores, Newspaper, radio and television ads and displays)....is such a huge turn off for me. I still have the mums in the window box and the turkey thawing in the fridge for Thanksgiving when half my neighbors have their fake trees and Christmas lights up. Some even have pumpkins and Santas on the porch at the same time!

I don't care for all the decorations made in China either - all the big blow-up snowmen on the lawn (which are puddles of vinyl during the day), the banishment of nativities on public property (thank you ACLU) - none of this means "Christmas" to me....I think it the way most in this country celebrate Christmas is a sad commentary on the evolvement of Christmas in the American culture.

I like the 19th/early 20th century Christmas tradition of hanging up some fresh greens, baking a few cookies, putting up the Christmas tree on Christmas eve and tying toys, books and other small toys to the tree for the children....going to church, singing carols, reading about the birth of Christ from the bible and then home to a hearty Christmas dinner and you are done - no malls, no big credit card bills, no days or weeks decorating, shopping and wearing yourself out...just simple and easy.

Spending thousands of dollars on things that people usually don't need, but do expect, filling the yard with blow-up penguins and filling the house with junk from China does not evoke Christmas to me at all.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:40 AM

3,589 posts, read 3,245,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I don't care for all the decorations made in China either - all the big blow-up snowmen on the lawn (which are puddles of vinyl during the day), the banishment of nativities on public property (thank you ACLU) - none of this means "Christmas" to me....I think it the way most in this country celebrate Christmas is a sad commentary on the evolvement of Christmas in the American culture.
Nativities don't belong on public property; why do you think they do? Churches are free to put them on their own property and many do so. Why do you think a nativity scene belongs on the front lawn of city hall? Justify that to me, please. I fail to see why my tax dollars should be spent on it.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:37 AM

5,284 posts, read 18,146,537 times
Oh, pushed a button did I? I don't need to justify anything to you. I described my perfect Christmas - it would not include people that think like you.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:48 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,245,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Oh, pushed a button did I? I don't need to justify anything to you. I described my perfect Christmas - it would not include people that think like you.
That's not very Christian. If you're going to complain about such a controversial issue, expect people to challenge you on it.

My perfect Christmas wouldn't include a bunch of people with a persecution complex beating their chests and throwing their toys around about not being permitted to strew their religious accoutrements on every square inch of public land. Two can play at this game, sweetheart.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:54 PM

56,648 posts, read 75,717,297 times
austerity for believers is not new, its just been put on the back shelf for a long long time. bout 63 years to be exact. money will do that to you, make you forget that
in the 1930s we were picken peaches for 5 cents a bushel n payin 8 cents a day to live on the company farm property. yep the good ol days. those were not poor mexicans in the fields, that was us. everybody knows it cannt happen here, every body knows it cannt happen here (frank zappa sing it)

Old 11-28-2007, 01:41 PM

636 posts, read 2,107,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Nativities don't belong on public property; why do you think they do? Churches are free to put them on their own property and many do so. Why do you think a nativity scene belongs on the front lawn of city hall? Justify that to me, please. I fail to see why my tax dollars should be spent on it.
I have to agree. Although most cities do have their big Christmas tree wing ding, at least Denver does. I think they have to call it a holiday tree. Personally I think the holidays keep people from getting too bored during the winter. Think how boring October through New Years would be without all the decorating, buying, spending, etc. What would we do without all that plastic crap from China that breaks the first time you use it? What would be filling up our landfills without it?

I think next year we will just go to Mexico for a beach vacation over Christmas, and call it good.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:59 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,226,060 times
I enjoy decorating, baking and shopping for Christmas. Our family does a $100 limit grab bag for siblings and then we all buy for mom and kids. My husband and I buy gift for each other and I think it's all great fun. I'm a sucker for Christmas music and the store displays. There's a delicate balance and I feel that I've found it. Don't buy an excessive amount of things and relish in the aura of the season. It's a festive time of year and I love it.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:42 PM

87 posts, read 350,053 times
Default What Would Jesus Do?

There's been a question most everyone has heard or asked, some loosely, some very seriously, and it's been abbreviated and worn on bracelets...WWJD?

Well, has anyone ever stopped and asked themselves this time of year, "What Would Jesus Do about Christmas? Would he even keep Christmas, the selfless Son of God? Did he ever celebrate his birthday? Can you find an account in the Bible where he did just that?

I got to thinking about this, then asked myself, I wonder what Jesus thinks about Christmas?

Is he happy when people think of him at Christmas as a helpless little baby rather than an awesome, forgiving High Priest who has overcome the devil himself and is full of power and glory, ready to take over the reign of this earth? Or do you think he prefers to be thought of and remembered as a baby?

Is he happy when small children look innocently up to S-a-n-t-a, (who is just one big lie and should be spelled S-a-t-a-n instead) to give them their Christmas desires and because of it are allowed to get so "wrapped up" in the wrapped-up that they become quite selfish, thinking only of what they will get rather than what they can give?

The spirit of Christmas is the spirit of giving "because God gave the world the gift of His son, Jesus Christ."

But is Jesus happy when he is present at the birthday party the world supposedly throws for him, then everyone proceeds to completely ignore Him and gives gifts to everyone else but Him?

All this makes me wonder, does it you?

What would Jesus do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products